Vote YES for Chocolate Milk in Schools

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mscriv, Nov 13, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Can you believe this is even up for debate? There was always chocolate milk available in my cafeteria.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/should-chocolate-milk-be-offered-in-schools-544379/

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I disagree... vehemently.
    Schools have a big enough problem without adding crap to students diets. Carbs are garbage, and that's what everyone's answer is.
    You want chocolate milk? Get it after school or at home.
    I want our school to feed my daughter FOOD and not junk. We need to banish the quest for profit at my child's expense, and dispose of the mindset that Reagan perpetuated and perfected with such stupid thoughts as "Ketchup is a vegetable".
    Brother.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

seriously? quest for profit???

just give you kid enough for a meal and regular milk or something. i would like my kid to have the option to get choc milk if he deisres. if your kid gets it, then thats something you need to talk to him about

i hate how everything is getting questioned.

how about we make all school lunches vegetarian while we are at it. screw individual choices.

6. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Milk companies out here in CA were recently crying about the price of milk because apparently they aren't making any money off it.

Anyway, I as a mac user insist we feed them vegetarian meals with soy milk! Sure, at the cost of $10 per meal per tax payer..

Wait no, for a nod to cultural melting pots, we should serve them sushi. It's .. asian so it's really good for them.

7. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

Only one thing, I don't drink regular milk. I drink Silk brand vanilla soy milk (they go great with cereal).

8. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Is that you Mr Atkins? Carbs are actually an essential part of your diet, esp. for children. It would be good if you did not spread your misinformation. The so-called celebrities of this world do enough of that on your own.

9. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Just lock them in a cupboard with a box pack of 100 chocolate milks and say your not coming out till you finish them all :)

10. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

I'll bet some enterprising young students will start selling Nestle Quik powder behind the schools for profit! :p

11. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Chocolate milk IS a borderline junk food. It's milk with sugar and cocoa.

Kids prefer it because it's sweet.

The added simple sugar calories really confer no nutritional advantage as most American children are over-consuming food in the first place.

This isn't just about "choice" or whatever other reasons that have been brought up in this thread. Children don't have absolute freedoms, especially in school. There's a reason we don't let them smoke in school, drink alcohol in school, etc.

Many schools have eliminated soda machines, which is altogether a positive thing. Chocolate milk is essentially the same thing done with milk that was done with water to make soft drinks. It's taking a good thing and making it less healthy.

Anyway, in terms of public health, you draw a line somewhere and hope it's sensible to most people. Some of you think it's not sensible but that's your nostalgia talking, not the responsible adult.

12. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

When I was in grade school you could choose between regular whole milk and low-fat chocolate milk. That should offset the extra calories, shouldn't it? Or do they already use low-fat milk in schools now?

13. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Think there is no quest for profit? Think again. I work in a school. I know, and you are guessing. Sorry to be that blunt.
    Further, students are in the care of the administration, and the administration needs to do everything it can to provide a safe atmosphere, and down the line this includes healthy choices for lunch.
    On the other end of the scale what would you think about serving candy only? That's what most kids want right? Maybe a choice of candy bars if you think choice matters.
    Sigh.

14. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Empty carbohydrates is the main reason America is 75% overweight. Your clever comeback is nothing more than a sham...
    You say carbs are an "essential part of your diet".

Show us.

15. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Ever heard of giving your kids their own food to take to school?

Clearly things are very different in US schools compared to Australia.

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Carbs are essential to your diet, you need them for energy. That being said there is a difference between simple carbs and complex carbs, the latter being much healthier.

17. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

huh...already have chocolate milk in school...but i hate it:p

this is a very stupid debate btw...the school should have chocolate milk already...

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Wait....are you really arguing carbs are not essential to a diet?....because they are, along with fats and proteins.

The "quest for profit" is not what drives them to have chocolate milk in schools lol. It is provided so the kids have options as to what drink they would like for lunch

But yes, everything everywhere sold is done so with the intent of a profit. shocking huh?

Hmm, are schools prisons?, does individual choice not exist?

Safe atmosphere? ok?... are you implying serving chocolate milk is unsafe?

It's not as if the school is serving booze, it's chocolate milk...the horror lol

"On the other end of the scale"..lol ok I'll play this game

How about the schools only serve brusel sprouts and broccoli

Absurd isn't it?

Moderation is the key for everything as having too much of anything is bad

I don't think a half pint of chocolate milk during lunch is going to do anyone harm during lunch.

*sigh*

And I'm going to venture you enjoyed your chocolate milk as a kid:) but I'm going to assume that you are then going to say you never had it just to maintain the principle of your argument lol....let's see if I turn out right

19. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I always drink regular milk while everyone else got chocolate. I don't like chocolate school milk. Only the Nestlé Quick kind or the powdered kind. :)

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and let me guess, youre wicked obese from drinking that Nesquick huh?

I'm guessing not as being obese is going to take more than drinking a little carton of choc milk during lunch

lol

21. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

That's what I, and most of the kids at the schools I went to, did.

22. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yes morbidly obese. O shaped. :rolleyes:

23. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

As a parent, I prefer my son get regular milk. With sugar, he loses focus and becomes irritable.

24. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Oh dear. Your position is indefensible, but that always makes for fun threads :D

Nobody will 'show you', by the way, because you're arguing with years and years of scientific proof. Ask somebody to prove to you the earth is round, and they won't. It's an accepted fact; just like carbs aren't garbage. If you'd refined your original statement somewhat, you could have made a valid point, as anjinhamarota alluded to.

No carbs = no energy = no learning. Horribly simplistic, but so was your analysis of their worth.

25. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I don't need to show you. I know it to be the case. If you want proof, ask any medical doctor to explain the basic biochemistry of metabolism to you.

I'm not saying that you don't have a point. Carbohydrates, like all elements of the diet, can be detrimental to health if over-consumed. However, your broad statement, 'Carbs are garbage, and that's what everyone's answer is', is quite simply wrong. As you said earlier, 'Sorry to be that blunt'.