Vote! You Just Might Win $50,000

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Aug 16, 2014.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is a very stupid idea.

What say you?

http://time.com/money/3117303/vote-lottery-cash-prizes/

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

3. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I think we can make the announcement in the paper now.

Drain 1 vs Society 0

. . . . . and the drain wins as a sea of apathy follows the lead of gravity, down the pipe.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I don't think it's a stupid idea. It's only a chance to win something to entice people to vote. Not like they are giving every voter a payout. With such disappointing turnouts, you can't blame them. Churches do the same with raffles to draw people in.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

If the main reason people are voting is a chance to win money, and they don't much care who they vote for, nor understand any of the ballot issues, isn't that the very definition of "low-information voters"?

Why encourage that?

Or more to the point, why pay public money to encourage that?

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Exactly.

Plus...

Uh huh. Having to bribe people into voting via a cash prize -- that's not embarrassing! :rolleyes:

7. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Okay, you're right. You've convinced me that this is a spectacular idea and a grand way to get people to vote.

For who, for what, who cares? Let's all vote just because we might win some money.

The point of voting . . . .

. . . . . oh sheeze . . . . .

/nevermind

Now normally, I like to cheer for the underdog.

Is it okay with everyone that I'm rooting for the drain?

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Democracy works better with higher participation. I see nothing wrong with drawing in voters with a possible incentive.

You do have a point about low information voters. But those who continually vote are more likely to be informed voters(at least by general standards). And if something like this can get the momentum going, I don't see a problem.

----------

You have any better ideas besides sarcasm?

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

On first glance, this seems like a terrible idea because it will increase the number of low-information voters to the polls.

But, there's a built-in assumption. Will every new voter remain a low-information voter? And, are all voters brought in by this program low-information?

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Paying people to vote? :eek:

Wow, if there hasn't been any voter fraud up to this point, they sure seem hell-bent on introducing it now!

11. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

People's votes that come about only because they are paid for them are votes we don't need.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Not necessarily. If each voter only gets one entry, then you couldn't easily pretend to be other voters and still expect to get the prize. In fact, you would be doing the equivalent of putting money in other people's meters.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

This may actually be illegal. If you remember there was a time when people paid people to vote a certain way. In Georgia we had a guy who was giving free hot dogs and Cokes to anyone wearing a "I Voted" sticker. He found himself in trouble over it.

14. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

On one hand, I agree with you. On the other hand, I support the idea that voting should be compulsory, as it is in Australia. Whether compulsory or by offering rewards, you're risking that some people are going to vote randomly, or that they'll vote without thoroughly researching the candidates. I would guess (and hope) that if people who weren't voting at all are going to vote, they'll put at least slightly more effort into examining the candidates and the issues.

As LIVEFRMNYC stated, Democracy works better with more participation. We have pretty poor participation as it is, and it isn't like the people who are participating now are all well-informed voters. I can't imagine that getting more people involved would be harmful. I agree with your sentiment of disliking the usage of public funds to entice people to vote. Make it mandatory.

15. chown33 macrumors 604

What incentive is there to not be a low-information voter? I see none.

Basically, show up, hand in a ballot, and you have the same chance to win cash as everyone else, including all the people who study the ballot, issues, and candidates. If the incentive is structured just to get people to show up, then why would anyone expect more than that?

Also, since a voter isn't required to vote on every ballot question, they could show up, get a ballot, make one mark on it, then hand it in. Or maybe hand in a completely unmarked ballot (AFAIK, it won't be an invalid ballot). Can't get much lower in the low-information ratings than that.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Why? What would make their vote any less valuable. Your assuming that those who would get enticed by the chance to win would just vote blindly. Many non voters are probably educated about candidates, but just don't show to vote. And it doesn't take much to get the summary of who candidates are and what they stand for.

If you really want a truly educated vote, then they should eliminate the party status next to the candidates, since most vote for a party down the line rather than just the individual.

17. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Easy solution. If you fail to vote, you get moved up in line for jury duty.

18. malman89 macrumors 68000

Perhaps all voters - even the active 16% - have to sit through some sort of voter education prior to voting. A non-partisan issued FAQ/report on each of the candidates and ballot initiatives. You'll still have plenty of fools voting for D or R only, but perhaps some people will actually learn something and make an educated vote.

I know that's a pretty pie-in-the-sky hope, but offering a chance at $25-50k to vote seems pretty similar to me.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You would also be offering incentives for people who are not allowed to vote to try to cheat the system to do so.

How is that a punishment? I would LOVE to sit on a jury.

20. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

It's getting so bad they're going to start paying people to vote. People hanging on and telling other people to go vote just don't get it yet. The system doesn't work and hasn't worked for a long time. Eventually people are going to realize nobody is voting and the whole thing is sham. Then, and only then will we have a shot for real change.

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Why should there be a punishment/consequence if you choose to abstain? As far as I'm concerned, not voting is a vote.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

What if it's a really boring case, like getting stuck on an eviction case that miraculously drags on for 3 days in addition to the initial show-up day with $8/day parking fees?

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

But not voting is just as much of a right, as voting. People also have the right to say make no decision.

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Exactly. That was my point.

25. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You're right.....it does work better with more people involved. But not in this case. In this case you have the people who are ambivalent about the world around them that they can't even be bothered to vote for the people that will ultimately represent them in their local, state and federal districts. We're going to give those people a cash incentive to show up to the their local polling place and cast their ballot.

More likely than not.....they play eenie-meenie-miney-moe with their ballot.

If there was a way to offer a cash prize for informed votes I MIGHT could get on board with that. But the idea, as currently constructed, kinda sucks.