VoteBoth.com - The Democratic Dream Ticket

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, May 20, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    So, Sam Arora and Adam Parkhomenko have apparently been putting this together. I think its the best way to go. It's the only way fences are going to mend on the Democratic side. No one needs a civil war.
    http://www.voteboth.com/

Yeah... a double-whammy... two non-white-men candidates running together. So what? It could certainly work. It'll be a field day for Rush Limbaugh, but things need to get sown up pretty quickly. Clinton supporters are makking awfully loud and unsavory noises. While, personally... it'd be nice if Obama chose an Edwards or a Sam Nun, Edwards has said "no" and Nun may not be enough to unify the party, so much as bolster confidence in the collective experience level of an Obama administration.

Thoughts on the dream ticket movement?

~ CB

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Two Northeastern Liberals running on the same ticket would never fly. Add to it the fact that it's a black man and a woman on the ticket and it's that much worse. Adding to the complications, the ticket will have the name Clinton on it.

I'm sorry to say it, but this country is not quite ready for a Minority/Woman, Minority/Minority ticket, especially if both are democrats from the northeast. There's a strong bias in the south against northeastern democrats as being haughty and elitist (as Obama has already been painted). Add to that racial bias, sexism, and the strong anti-Clinton bias in the south and the "dream ticket" is almost a sure fire way to lose this election.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't see it working, nor do i see it mending anything.

whomever gets the VP slot, their supporters are going to be pretty bitter and upset i think because of it.

while a Minority/Minority ticket probably isn't the best, i think an Obama/Richardson ticket could possibly work.

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Richardson would be the best choice if it's not a white male Dem from the south (preferably another governor, or former governor), but I think that it would alienate a lot of white men and women to have a ticket that by outward appearance offers little familiarity. You have to remember this country likes to elect president's they'd like to have a beer with rather than base their choice on who would do the best job.

5. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

It'd be nice to have the Clinton machine working overtime for Obama, but the way she ran her campaign between Texas and Indiana would make a shared ticket a tough one to swallow. You can't campaign against those kind of politics, then share the ticket with them. She doesn't bring anything geographically, and her connection with blue collar white voters is, frankly, a bit overstated. She's obviously connected with appalachian democrats, but white blue collar voters in other regions (the midwest, mountain west, pacific coast) are far less absolute.

Generally speaking, I don't see a consolation prize being enough to assuage the louder Clinton supporters- the ones crying "sexism" as we speak. I honestly think Obama needs a clean break from Clinton for the general.

I think there are plenty of worthwhile candidates that would bring more to the table than Clinton.

Bill Richardson is an obvious one- foreign policy and executive branch experience and access to the Hispanic voting bloc are all big plusses. In theory, he could put Texas and New Mexico into play in November, which could easily be game-changers.

Kathleen Sebelius is another- a red-state governor, a cross-party uniter, a nuanced progressive that shares Obama's platform for changing the discourse of politics. It's not impossible for her to make the plains competitive, she'd be a big help in the Mississippi Valley and the Mountain West regions.

6. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I say go for it. Unify the party, and kick some ass.

The south is never going to go for Obama. It's simply not going to happen, no matter who the running mate is.

7. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i wouldn't dismiss certain southern states- the carolinas, texas, and georgia all have demographics that could work for obama. and if the special election drubbings are any indication, gop fatigue is alive and well all across the country, even in traditional republican strongholds. a lot of it will depend on if mccain can distance himself from the bush administration and still appeal to more than just fair weather conservatives.

that said, i'm not sure what history says about VP's delivering non-traditional states for the ticket. LBJ did that for Kennedy, but i'd be hard pressed to think of someone today with that kind of pull in a state that large.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Not really. Southern blacks have shown they can make it happen for Obama, and having a southern Governor on the ticket can improve his odds there.

I don't want Clintons name at all on the ticket. The right wing attack radio wants a Clinton in November, and throwing her on the ticket will be like giving them red meat. They don't have much to attack Obama with, but having Clinton on the ticket will give them plenty of ammo to attack the entire campaign.

Plus, Hillary has played absolutely dirty politics this primary. She doesn't deserve any sort of second place prize. In fact, I hope Democratic voters in NY take a look at what sort of person she is and vote her out of her Senate seat next time shes up for election. She is the epitome of everything wrong with American politics today. We don't need that in Obama's campaign.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think Obama would be insane to have Hillary as his VP. She is just too much of a lightening rod for controversy.

10. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Yep. If it's true that the Republicans have been storing "dirt" on Hillary and Obama both as contingencies, then imagine the incredible amount of it we'll be subject to once the running for President starts. It would be perfect for the McCain campaign.

For myself, it's clear to me that Hillary doesn't work well with others. She believes that points of view other than her own are deluded, and brings very little original thought to the table. Most of her contentions so far this season have been made to pander to the demographic du jour, and when she attacks, inasmuch as that is ever a good thing, she sensationalizes and blows trivialities into terrors.

There is no reason why these two people would work well together other than the tenuous claim that, combined, they might scoop up more votes.

11. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    I'm thinking Ferraro/Clinton, as it's not possible to have a Carter/Clinton team-up.

Or maybe Quayle/Kerry, if we could get Quayle to switch parties.

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Dream ticket? I can't even begin to call that a ticket, let alone a DREAM ticket.

Obama might as well commit suicide because that's what that ticket would do to his whole campaign of change. How could he change the system when his running mate is part of the system?

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I just don't feel Obama and Clinton would get along. And I see no point in unifying the anti-black, anti-female vote into a cohesive whole. For the unreasonably biased (who are probably a lot more than we think), you are only adding to their reasons not to vote Democratic.

14. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

How about Obama/Powell? I have lots of reasons to dislike Powell, but apparently white Americans like him.

15. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

How about people who claim to be Democrat get over who gets the ticket and vote for the person with a D by their name.

I get tired of people who say that because the person they want didnt get the ticket, they are going to vote Republican. Those who say they are not voting at all are even worse. These are the same people that if a Republican wins, they will be bitching. And all I want to say is, "See what you did?"

Don't call yourself a Democrat if you are going to vote Republican or not all. If you were, you would know the change that needs to happen, and your vote matters.

16. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

At this point, I don't care if it's Gumby, I just want to be able to order my Obama/Gumby '08 yard signs.

Edit: Just read this over at the HuffPost. Pretty interesting and impressive!

17. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

He's a Republican.

18. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

If Obama chose Clinton to be his running mate or if Clinton chose Obama to be her running mate, I truly believe that will be an unbeatable ticket.

There's only one and only problem - They are both too headstrong to do so.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm going to say something that's going to be taken the wrong way. I want to get that out there, knowing full well it won't help, but I'm saying it anyway. Here goes. At least we know Obama probably wouldn't be assassinated. The same type of people who would want to assassinate him probably wouldn't want to see Hillary as Pres. Probably. One of the things I worry about with an Obama Pres. I know I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Isn't it sad that in this day and age we're still worried about that.

20. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

So you're saying Obama should pick Cheney?

21. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Every time I think about this, I think about the Dave Chappelle skit. It was funny at the time because, well, the idea of an African-America president was so far fetched.

Now we are on the brink of that and it does worry me. A lot.

22. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    It sounds as if Clinton supporters are pushing REALLY HARD for a vice-pres. slot. McCain's already swooping in to woo Clinton voters over to the Republican party side. I can't imagine that working too well the more he speaks. He just needs to sit back and cash-in for what its worth.

Crazy as it feels, I'm starting to resent the attitude of some Obama supporters. It's TOO over the top. There are differing opinions, and Clinton isn't the devil incarnate.

~ CB

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its the same on both sides, some Hillary supporters feel that Obama is the same, as what some Obama supporters think of Hillary. me? i don't like her attitude, and i don't see what she brings to Obama's campaign at all, so i don't think she works well as a VP pick for him. their two outlooks and perspectives just don't mesh, and her attitude could be more than detrimental.

one good position i heard for Hillary, is if she could get the Leader of the House spot, where she can do a whole lot more than VP and work better with Obama.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No more Bushes or Clintons in the WH! Let's wipe the slate clean, folks.

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

But I heard McCain is going to pick Jeb so we can finally have a Bush/Clinton face off without any of the problems of having them in charge...:D