Voters are shifting to Democrats, flashing a warning for Republicans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Jul 5, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

To me, this doesn't mean America is moving to the left. We've went so far to the right in recent years that we have a lot of going left to do before reaching a healthy center. It also seems that by pandering to the most extreme fringes of their base, Republicans traded long term integrity for short term success and have effectively shot themselves in the foot. The Democrats are not liberals, the Democrats are the moderates, the Republicans are now far-right bordering fascist. Seems like the voters are starting to catch on.

Link to article

Link to Gallup

brxjyajf302mvyv9yzgmxw.png

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I think it is the GOP all the hate and ignorance and woman hating and the religious control is really hurting them. They just get more and more extreme and religious extremes are chasing people out of the church.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Honestly to me the GOP right now is the party of anger, fear, selfishness, and tragically romanticised nostalgia for a past that never was. I am an independent, but right now the GOP has too many candidates that are mean-spirited cusses for me to even consider them for my vote. Maybe if they prune away some of their more extreme candidates during the primaries I would reconsider.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I doubt pruning would work they would just sucker they need sprayed with roundup.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Flashing what warning? Nobody seriously believes Hillary will lose in '16.

6. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Speak for yourself.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah, because who's running against her capable of winning? Hillary is a fairly hardcore pro-corporate status quo establishment candidate who makes the occasional concession to the middle left for publicity purposes. 20 years ago, she probably would've been running on a hard Republican platform.

But today, relative to her competition, she's practically a shining beacon of levelheaded moderation.

For some reason, this doesn't scare the absolute **** out of us. It should. But it doesn't.

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I fear what we're seeing are right wingers who are planning on voting in the Democratic primary to try and remove Hillary from contention.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

What about the millions of Democrats trying to remove Hillary from contention?

10. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That would be pretty dumb on their part. The other candidate would be Sanders. If Sanders won the presidency, it would be their worst nightmare. They will find themselves wishing Hillary Clinton won. Then again, they're not known for their smarts, so you might be on to something.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Hillary is the devil. She's a corporate fascist wearing a blue dress.

Bernie is our only hope.

13. zin macrumors 6502

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Fascist is a bit strong; however, she is a corporatist to the core. I mean, consider Wal-Mart--the left's all-time bête noire--and the fact Hillary sat on their board of directors for six years. Not to mention she voted for to invade Iraq, pro-NAFTA, yada yada yada.

And now she is the only choice Democrats have. Talk about Kafkaesque.

15. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

clinton and bush should be kicked out. should be bernie sanders vs rand paul

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Ms.Clinton is not a Democrat nor a Liberal she's a Republican just not a neo-conservative I won't be voting for her.

17. aaronvan, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That would be an actual choice.

Look at Joe Biden's numbers and he's not even running (yet.) I bet he worries Hillary more than Bernie.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Stop telling them in advance!! Let them find out at the polls. :p

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Yes, but not even Democrats will vote for Sanders. So no matter who the Republican candidate winds up being, he could easily beat Sanders.

20. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm not 100% sure about that...

21. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I still think the Democrats are looking for much younger leadership in the Democratic Party. That's why it think they are looking the Castro brothers (Joaquin and Julian) from Texas or Gavin Newsom from California.

Remember, the Republican field for President so far has several candidates far younger than Hillary Clinton: Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul, and Scott Walker specifically. Even Sarah Palin--if she decides to run--is still vastly younger than Hillary Clinton.

We forget in 2007, when Barack Obama announced his campaign, at the time everyone thought Hillary had the 2008 nomination "sewn up." But Obama--being only 48 at the time of the 2008 election--became immensely popular among younger voters. That's something the Democrats have to consider in the near future, in my opinion.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'm not sure about the neocon part but I agree with the rest of your post.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Just pick a liberal who can win or I don't want to hear the lamenting when a Cruz or Trump gets in there, not that I think either one of those have a chance. Ok, maybe you'll lament Jeb. The problem with all GOP candidates is that to win, they will be beholding to the right wing crazies.

24. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I don't think people realize yet how crucial 2016 is. The next president could significantly alter the make up of the Supreme Court for decades to come. Christie, who has no chance anyway, just said that he would nominate justices who would have ruled the opposite way in Obergefell and King v Burwell.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Great point. The motto for the next Presidential election- Remember the Supreme Court!