Voting According to your Interests

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by imac/cheese, Jan 14, 2008.

1. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Here is a great tool for determining which candidates align most with your own interests.

Candidate Calculator

It is strange that both Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich end up in my top three. Hillary and Romney both end up in my bottom four.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The problem with a calculator like that is it focuses only on hot button issues, whereas the day-to-day effect of these people is in smaller level policy decisions that this doesn't capture.

That said, it's not far off for me, probably. Except I'm sure I wouldn't pick Ron Paul out of the Republicans, if I had to pick one.

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I don't like that the last issue is listed as "FairTax." That's a biased listing.

That said, Kucinich came on top for me, followed by Gravel, Obama, and Edwards.

These little lists don't help, though, because a lot of it is about gut and deciding whether you want to waste your vote. For instance, voting for Kucinich or Gravel would be wasting my vote.

4. imac/cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do we know what any of those smaller level policy decisions would be?

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, and these sorts of measures of hot-button issues probably serve as a decent proxy for how candidates would react to those smaller decisions that we can't predict now.

My real problem with this (besides the aforementioned FairTax thing) is that binary responses to these issues involve a gross oversimplification. For instance, "universal healthcare" means different things for different people, and being for giving everyone healthcare isn't the issue--figuring out how to do it is the big point of contention. For another example, I have a conflicted and unconventional opinion on immigration, one not encapsulated by the statement provided.

6. imac/cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

In my opinion when you vote with your gut you are a lot more likely to have been influenced by advertising campaigns, slogans, and campaign promises than where the candidate really stand.

I don't think anyone should ever base their vote on a computer comparison of the issues, but it definitely gives someone additional input. i never would have suspected Kucinich would have been in my top five. I can't vote for him in my primary, but it is interesting none the less.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Not necessarily because it's all conclusion based rather than process based. Ron Paul opposed the Iraq war because of a very different kind of logic than Barack Obama used, for example. Someone who genuinely believes in states rights might oppose a federal ban on x that they'd support on the state level. So on and so on.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

For me, the top results were: Kucinich, Biden, Clinton and Edwards.

Now, I can believe the top two, but I have this nasty feeling that Clinton, even though she may say her positions align with mine, won't do much about them. And that for me is where "calculators" like this break down.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Gravel, Kucinich, then Obama. From bottom up comes Hunter, Thompson, then Romney.

Guess I know which party I'd vote for then :D

10. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Indeed. There are several questions on this (and any other) quiz where my response is contradictory to what I personally believe. The problem is that there are several issues that I see as state concerns that the federal government should not promote, nor oppose.

And no, I'm not supporting Ron Paul.

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

That's just a good point.

12. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Ron Paul was an 87%, probably because I watch too much YouTube. But it was right in some places, one of them being Edwards and Hillary are at the very bottom of my list. I love that!

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Gravel at the top, then Biden and Dodd. In the middle were Edwards, Obama, and Clinton in that order. Thought I was more towards Richardson, but he was more towards the bottom middle. Paul was in there too, but I won't be voting for him any time soon. Same with Kucinich. I like him and all, but I don't like everything about him. At the bottom were Hunter, Tancredo, and Romney, with Thompson just a little higher.

Sounds about right, but I agree, it's kinda simplistic, and in practice I lean more towards Dodd and maybe Edwards, though except for their other issues, I guess Biden and Gravel come close.

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

i had Gravel, Dodd and then Biden......LOL, must have something to do with the air here in los Angeles

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They're actually fairly moderate and experienced (mostly in the not bad way), so it's no surprise. It's just too bad Gravel's nuts, Biden has foot in mouth disorder and is apparently really beholden to special interest, and Dodd had no chance. I'd take him over any in the current crop, Kucinich included.

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

These are fun.

Attached Files:

17. Queso macrumors G4

LOL. So you're unlikely to vote for Hillary then :D

18. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

There are several of these out there. Here's another one from USA Today called the Candidate Match Game
    I prefer the USA Today one because it shows all the candidates heads bobbing up and down, a lot more aesthetically pleasing. :)

19. Bogie macrumors regular

I came up with John Cox. Who the hell is John Cox?

20. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

He's a distant relative of John Brown. ;)

21. Bogie macrumors regular

Ba-dum bum!

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

got Kucinich, which wasn't surprising, then Gravel, and then Obama.

rest of the dems in some order, then Ron Paul, and rest of rebubs in some order. not surprising

the thing is, yeah if Kucinich had a chance i'd vote for him, but he doesn't, so Obama will get my vote.

23. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, that's pur-ty.

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I got Kucinich at 95%. I wouldn't actually vote for him, however, because as much as I (apparently) like his policies I believe they'd be ineffective and fail by trying to change too much too quickly. I think the reason most of my results were as "left wing" as they were is because many categories dealt with policies already active in Canada, which I support.

I was disappointed in the lack of "breasts" category.

25. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

Mike Huckabee at 95.45%, then Thompson, Hunter, and Romney. At the bottom were Kucinich, Gravel, Clinton, and Edwards. The highest Dem on the list was Obama at 40.91%.

Another quiz like this and a good website is www.ontheissues.org

Oh, and why is asking about the Fair Tax a "biased" question? I know people on both sides of the aisle that support the fair tax.