Voting and college students

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, Nov 2, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Should out of state students be able to vote for measures in the locality where they are going to school but do not live in the area when school is not in session?

I am interested in what everyone thinks

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You mean just for local (town, county) measures but vote at home for state/federal?

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wish I could. I'm here 8 months out of the year.

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

For all things, senate, HoR, governor,judges, local measures, etc

I ask as I am curious as to the extent of vested interest college students have in the locality of where they go to school. Is that vested interest less than say someone who lives there permanently? As a result, should their say be or not be as equally important as they don't live there permanently?

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

should they be allowed yes they should because they spend 8-9 months of the year in that area for 4-6 years.
    So yeah they should be allowed.

For example in Lubbock it was a dry city and so student had to drive out side of the city to buy beer. Now they finally got that law removed and a good part of it was because they got the student vote in it. All the other times it came up the opposition to it would fight tooth and nail to make sure the vote happened during the summer. They finally ended it by getting it on ballet during the fall semester one year so it passed but they had a huge push getting students to vote for it.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Any reason why students can't register in the locality where they're attending college? I know a few did when I was in school.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Why not change that to be your residence?

--

I think that it should be your residence (as in permanent on your records) for you to be able to vote. If you feel like you want to vote in that area then change it to be your residence.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lots of reasons with technicalities related to my school, financial aid, my parents taxes etc.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

your permit residents and were you are registered to vote do not have to be the same.
    I know a lot of people at TTU that were registered in Lubbock but still had a permitted address at their parents.

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Understandable. Just seems like that is your residence more so than "home" right now.

---

Even though I already posted an idea about it being your permanent residence to be able to vote... what about time out of the year that you reside there? In NT1440's case residing there over half of the year would indicate that local regulations would effect him just like permanent residents.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'll have to look into if I can do something like that

12. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

If they change their residence to said college area? Yes.
    If they don't? No.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I feel, and so does reality, that I live here for more of the year than at home, so why shouldn't there be some provision specifically for cases such as these?

14. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

There is! Go do the paper work to change your legal residence! It's not that complicated. BTW, here in Iowa we make it even easier: http://www.sos.state.ia.us/elections/voterinformation/collegestudents.html

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

16. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Blame the whacked out, endlessly complicated and inefficient liberal income tax system. Not me. Have you checked to see if your state has a similar system to Iowa? You might not even have to change your residence.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Liberal tax system?

Come on man, now you're just using the term anywhere and everywhere.

Can't wait to hear about your liberal scissors.

18. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Hey, just because you don't know your history... don't blame me. Take a few history classes while you're at college (you'll have plenty of time to register for one tonight since you can't vote) and then get back to me.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

From you link on how Iowa addressed residents of another stated attending college in Iowa.
    It is illegal to vote in both your home town and Iowa but you can choose either one.

I know Texas voter laws are a lot like the Iowa one and chances are most states are set up that way.

NT1440 here is what you need to do. Google registering to vote for what ever state your college is in and you can get them to mail you paper work.
    Another option is contact the Campus Republicans or Campus Democrats group at your school. They can help you out. If you only have one of those 2 there just contact them. They should help you take care of it. Worse you might have to deal with is listening to them trying to get you to join but they can cover everything else. I know at TTU the Campus Republicans group did a huge push every year to get students registered to vote in Lubbock and during election they would get buses set up to take students to the closes voting places. At those times they did not care which party you were for. First and for most they wanted you to vote. Now I do not know if TTU had a campus democrat group because if they did they were not large enough or did anything that would reach out to students that I knew of. But it is Texas so GOP party is larger here than Democrats.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thanks Rodimus, I'll get on it. :)

Edit: Does it matter if I want to register as an independent?

21. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Plenty of my classmates registered to vote in the city my college was in. I had been registered to vote in my hometown beforehand and didn't feel like changing things, so just always made sure to fill out an absentee ballot application before leaving for school in the fall if there was an election.

Long before elections, there were always kids out in the campus center registering kids to vote, or helping them to apply for absentee ballots from home. If you had any interest in voting there were people who wanted to help you vote...I'm kind of surprised that's not the case everywhere.