Voting in Texas? Bring your Photo ID

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Supreme Court ruled early this this early this morning that the Voter ID law in Texas, the toughest in the nation will stand for this election. I'm pretty sure this will upset the left, at least on this forum. But none-the-less, the SCOTUS has ruled.

Supreme Court allows Texas to use voter ID law - Washington Post

2. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

This ruling is good for all Americans. Fair and honest elections are crucial in keeping our Republic healthy. Besides it doesn't get any easier than having a free voter id provided to you.

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I applaud the free voter id move by the Texas DPS and I think everyone wants to ensure the integrity of our election process.

I fully support voter ids and I was surprised to hear that some state didn't even require an id. With that said, I'm not sure you can call this election cycle in Texas fair given the research in terms of the level of preparedness of the electorate for voter id. Not everyone religiously follows the news and as a result, there will be voters, mostly ones who vote democratic, turned away at the polls. But of course, that was the republicans plan all along.

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I for one see no problem with this, the ID cards will be free and if issued in time for the election, it seems to be perfectly acceptable.

This is standard practice across mainland Europe.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm fine with this. I'm more concerned with their new abortion restrictions, and hope the Supreme Court doesnt allow them to stand.

7. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I will be upset with voter ID laws until I see proof there is actually voter fraud.

P-Worm

8. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You can be upset all you want... But if you live in Texas bring your photo ID to cast a ballot.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

In Texas, the government provides every citizen with a free voter I.D. Great idea. However, talk about a "Big Government" program! I thought Texans were fine with limited government? When did Texas become enamored with Big Government? I'd expect this in Massachusetts or Vermont, but Texas?

So much for rugged individualism in Texas. I knew that was just a myth.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's about 3 weeks till the midterms... Voters will be disenfranchised. It is what it is.

This is a conservative red herring. Yes I'm repeating myself, but apparently it needs repeating.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The ID is hardly free when the documents needed to get it can cost quite a bit. I had to get a copy of my birth certificate a few months ago. Cost me $53.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Texas is so heavily Republican they hardly need to worry about voter fraud.

However, that is changing. Over the next couple of election cycles, Old White Republicans will stroke out and be replaced by Mexicans. Then Texas will be a toss-up state.

13. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

As seems usual under Roberts, they're wrong. But perhaps one of the idiots will leave and allow for a more mainline replacement.

14. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, let's record this as a win for the republican agenda and move on. If anything, the very fact that the republican party needs to resort to voter suppression tactics like disruptively introducing new voter id laws and gerrymandered redistricting to favor the republican party, illustrates just how unpopular the party is becoming. These tactics, while effective, will only work for so long. Rest assured that the tide is clearly against the republicans and it is only a matter of time and then we'll see who is truly upset.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I have several pieces of state and federal ID. No problem if this was my state.

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Both parties employ gerrymandering to their maximum benefit. This is not a Republican concept.

17. pdjudd macrumors 601

This isn’t about you though. It’s about the people where it is very hard to get an ID or who do not plan their voting habits until very late.

Not to mention that this is a pointless law aiming to stop a phenonemon that people cannot prove is actually a problem. You cannot find large scale voter fraud where ID would have stopped. It just doesn’t happen because the risk/reward factor is not in favor of it happening.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yet the House would not be GOP controlled without it, as the Red State document plainly brags about the Dems getting 1 million more votes for the house yet the GOP still being in control of it.

But you know, **** democracy right?:rolleyes:

19. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

This is a good idea. Why would people be upset? Why leave the ability for voter fraud out there? What's your angle SD? Are you implying that Republicans do not cheat, and wouldn't because they are mostly rich old white people? That's funny.:D

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

This is a reasonable restriction as far as I am concerned. All civil liberties have some type of limitation.

If one is unwilling to take steps to secure some type of ID, then they don't value voting as far as I am concerned.

And with all civil liberties laws there is some EXTREME instance where someone is more inconvenienced than others due to some unusual, 1% of bizarre circumstances. That is no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water.

21. sodapop1, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Also, poor uneducated white people with a slave mentally of gotta keep my rich white master happy with tax cuts so that their wealth can trickle down to me.

22. aaronvan, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

What most people don't understand about gerrymandering is that either party considers whether they are in the majority or the minority a secondary concern. Their one and all-encompassing concern is getting re-elected. The Democrats willingly gerrymandered themselves--state by state--into minority status to ensure that sitting Democrats kept their seats. Sure, it's better to be in the majority, but not at the expense of losing your seat. The GOP would and has done the same.

Gerrymandering ensures that the politicians get to chose their voters instead of voters choosing their politicians.

23. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

How is this relevant to the fact that today the republican party is losing popularity. Does pointing out the sins of our forefathers somehow disprove today's reality?

24. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You are aware the most Gerrymandered district in the entire country is a solid democrat district and is surrounded by democrat districts, in a state where democrats drew the lines but don't let that stop the propaganda that the GOP does all the gerrymandering.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You can't use your drivers license?