Voting Rules and Regs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Huntn, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I went and pre-voted today in Houston, Texas. Things have changed since the last Presidential election. All they wanted to see was my drivers license, not voter registration card. Why the heck not? (rhetorical- I know about recent changes). But voter registration cards used to mean something.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Your state's Voter ID law is under some major scrutiny now, as your Democratic candidate for governor as well as a judge in your state were recently turned away and had to sign affidavits about their identity due to your state's re-enacted Voter ID law. The constitutionality of that law has come up again to your region's Circuit Court of Appeals.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18268827&postcount=168

BL.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've been voting for 25 years - in two different states - and I don't remember ever bringing my voter registration card with me. In fact, I can only remember even knowing where the card IS on two or three voting occasions.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

During the last election cycle, a voter registration card was what I used to ID myself, and that was all. :)

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Been voting in NY for 33 years and have never been asked for ID.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Same here. All they did was check off my name in their roll book.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Did you mearly stated your name and address? Interesting.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Same here in NJ. You just have to give your name, they find you in their book, and you sign next to your name.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I just state my name. No address necessary.

There is however, only one precinct (out of many) where my name even appears in their ledger.

Though I imagine that if there were two people with exactly the same name, the address would come into play.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yep. They ask for my name and address, find me in the voter book and match my signature to the one on file.

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

You guys certainly don't live in Texas. :p

The entire voter fraud red herring issue, bugs me. It's part of the CLM (Conservative Lie Machine) that is moving forward on several fronts.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

perhaps you have to sign your name too..........that's what we do in Los Angeles

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Here, it is not an issue: we have no polling places. Just a box to drop your ballot in (the closest one to here is at the Park-and-Ride at the top of the hill).

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Last Presidential election (U.S., Texas) I knew I could be traveling. I tried my best to do an absentee ballot, but the final straw was when they told me I had to drive to another county to mail the ballot. A convenience like absentee/mail-in balloting should be offered to everyone, whether you are traveling or not. :mad:

15. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Sounds like you were profiled by those evil RACIST Republicans. How dare they have the audacity to ask for ID to verify you are who you say you are. I would def call the MSNBC race bait machine on this one to get your story heard. We cannot stand for this.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Texas Attorney General Almost Disenfranchised By His Own Voter ID Law

Yeah, this won't disenfranchise legitimate voters.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I live in Oregon now and they have mail in ballots. There are no polling places.

Either mail it in or drop it off in one of the voter boxes they put up during elections.

We do have to sign the ballot and it has to match the address on file.

18. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've been mail-in in California since 2004. It embarrasses me to live in a country where so many states make it as difficult as possible to vote. We live in the digital age for ***** sake! How hard is it to verify addresses! The Deep South is truly an abomination and I think that even their God is embarrassed beyond belief that his name and words are being used to support the disenfranchisement of the people he supported most.

20. Huntn, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Those are your words. My words are they (Republicans) are taking steps to suppress the vote from the category of citizens who they don't believe support Republican policies and wrap it in an imaginary voter fraud issue to obscure the real agenda. They are proponents of, if you cant win in a straight up fight, change the rules to give you an advantage. And while I'm at it, their hostility towards women's issues is unsurpassed by any other political group (far as I know). I'm surprised there are any women out there who can hold their heads high and state how proud they are to be Republicans.

21. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

[​IMG]

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Cartoon straw man arguments are so cute.

23. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Lol. I could post a cartoon that states I vote Republican because I'm pro-choice on everything except a woman's right to choose and what you choose to do in the bedroom. :rolleyes:

I imagine haxrnick would argue it's his right to litter as he sees fit, take unregulated medicines that kill him, and to blow noxious cancer causing fumes in non-smokers faces. Sounds like a Libertarian. ;)

24. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Funny reading the comments about Libertarians in these threads. Clearly you leftwing elites don't know what they are. Which is surprising because of how intelligent you let us know you all are. You describe anarchists, which are usually freeloaders aka Democrats.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Almost as funny as you trying to describe liberals.

My experience is that whenever "one side" tries to describe the "other side" accuracy goes out the window.

I prefer it when each side describes themselves. It still leaves plenty to talk about.

And you?