VP picks for McCain, Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Aug 20, 2008.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

OK, since it is likely that Obama will have picked his VP by this coming Saturday, and McCain"s pick will probably be chosen in the next 10 days (perhaps on his Birthday) - I thought this thread could serve as a last-minute discussion and guessing game on the various prospective candidates.

So:

1. Who do you think will get the nod for each candidate?
    2. Who should?
    3. Your reasons why?

I, personally have not kept up with the all the prospects (and their backgrounds), let alone the political calculus involved - but I think (or would like) the following:

1. Obama picks Biden. I have long liked Biden - and he certainly brings a lot of experience and prospective balance to the ticket. His personality is a potential liability, however, as is his long service in Washington - with Obama running on "change". Still, I think it would be a good pairing.

2. McCain picks Pawlenty. I don't know so much about Pawlenty, except that he is young and part of the more "innovative" new Republicans. He also could help bring his state into the McCain column. He is relatively inexperienced, however, and this could be an weakness. Still, considering that Romney and Tom Ridge(!) are other front runners - this seems the least disastrous choice for McCain.

Opinions? Discussion?

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Looks like you were right about Biden. I've heard Romney for McCain, though I don't know if that'll help him much or hurt him. Especially with the housing gaffe that points out who the rich, out of touch candidate is (Romney's rich as well, for those who don't know). I don't know how much Pawtley will help either way.

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I saw a McCain ad at the bottom of one of the threads here with him and Lieberman together. Not-so-subtle hint of his choice?

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Lieberman would be worse for McCain than he was for Gore.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And it would be an incredible stab in the back to Obama, who endured no end of criticism from the "far left" for campaigning for Lieberman over the actual Democratic nominee for the Senate, Ned Lamont.

Obama helps out Lieberman in his time of need, and this is how Lieberman repays him? What a pathetic human being Lieberman is...

6. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Lieberman would not wash. It makes me think of the phrase, always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Anyway, I am in prayer that Romney is not the VP candidate for McCain, I think of him like I do Obama, political animal to the core.
    Please not Ridge. OK guy, nothing really neg about him to me, but why not get a positive.
    I love Gov Jindal and Sen Hutchison, but am fearful they are off the radar.
    That leaves Pawlenty, and since blackfox was so accurate before, it will surely be Pawlenty.
    There are other interesting choices like the Alaska Governor, Gov Crist from Florida, and numerous pundit picks.
    Well, time will tell. Just PLEASE don't be Romney.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If he picks Jindal, he might as well have Linda Blair at the convention spinning her head and vomiting buckets of green goo.

Sen. Hutchison would reinforce the "third Bush term" meme.

Pawlenty will get eaten alive by Biden in the debates.

Charlie Crist is gay, and therefore not acceptable to the GOP faithful.

Sarah Palin would have been a good choice before rumors surfaced that she used her position to seek retribution against a sister's ex-husband.

And any of his former competitors will have said things about him during the campaign that can be used against McCain just as McCain is seeking to use Clinton's words against Obama...

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Mitt Romney has one lees house then John Kerry FYI.

I personally think that McCain will pick Romney, because he is the most conservative of the realistic possibilities, and McCain really needs some help with conservatives.

Don

9. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

If McCain picks Romney, it should make for some interesting Democratic party ads. McCain has been using Hillary's words against Obama for a while now, but they're nothing compared to the mud slinging that went on between McCain and Romney.

I can't see how Romney is the pick, since McCain can't stand the guy. Disagreements between president and vice president are fine, but out and out loathing? I don't know...

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So you're saying Romney is only slightly better than Kerry was? Talk about damning with faint praise...

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

But that would be really useful, Obama's campaign would be able to use that to his advantage. Romney said something to the effect that no matter who McCain picks, the VP would never say he's be honored to run against or with Obama(where Biden said something like that about McCain), but having someone Obama worked with to get elected would be very close.

I was hoping for Kucinich for Obama, but Biden is a good VP.

12. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Look at this ad AdSense just generated on the bottom of the Hilary Hijack thread!

This may be old news, but I haven't seen it yet. I hope it's a hint that McCain is going to go with Lieberman. Seems like the perfect thing to keep Republicans home on election day.

[​IMG]

Edit: Whoops, missed it5five's post.

13. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

NBC news is reporting that McCain has picked Lieberman.

Should be interesting.

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Interesting? No if they win, it won't.

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Link? the only thing I've seen on MSNBC is that McCain has yet to decide and will reveal his choice on Friday.

Lieberman could go down as the worst VP choice in the history of VPs. He's not liked by either side, he's already been the VP on a losing ticket, and Obama helped get him elected to the Senate this last time.

Either the Dems are getting really dirty and Lieberman is our double agent to sabotage the campaign, or he realizes that this is his last shot since Connecticut is going to revoke his citizenship after his Senate term is up.

16. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Weird, I can't find any links. It was a small clip, on our local news here in NYC during the Today Show. And on the scroll across the bottom.

Okay, on the 10:30 update, now they've changed the story, to he could be the VP pick and didn't mention any other choices.

I swear I saw it.:eek:

17. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

It's still on the bottom scroll:

"NBC news has learned the John McCain has chosen Joe Lieberman as his VP. He will announce it tomorrow."

The last part is a little fuzzy in my memory. I have to go throw up now for enduring 15 minutes of Kathy Lee.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lieberman would be an fantastic choice. Go Joementum!

Although I believe there is the pesky problem of his political registration. I heard somewhere that GOP rules state that you cannot be nominated for P or VP if you are not a registered republic. Which would be interesting because (among other reasons) IIRC that would change the balance of the Senate for the remainder of the year.

And Lieberman's conversion to the other side would be complete.

Plus then we could trot out all the junk the GOP threw at him when he ran with Gore. Take their talking points about what Hillary said about Obama during the primary and throw it right back in their faces, just like with the elitist thing.

Plus Lieberman is pro-choice. Can't wait to see how well THAT goes over in FundieTown. McCain already isn't trusted by the religious far-right. Toss in a pro-choice Jew, and many of them will sit on their hands this November.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't count Joe out in Connecticut just yet. The independents and Republicans are the ones that voted him in again, not the Democrats. It would be interesting if he decides to run for Senate again.

20. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

You just gave me a flashback to Return of the Jedi there...

A Joe Lieberman pick would pretty much lock things up for Obama. Like you said, evangelicals are already queasy thinking about voting for McCain without having to vote for a pro-choice Jewish VP who is 8 years removed from running with Al "Global Warming" Gore.

Please, John, PLEASE pick Lieberman!

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

He only won because he convinced enough Democrats to vote for him. I doubt they would fall for that again.

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

He only won 50% to 40% and I'm sure a fair number of voters for him were still figuring he'd be aligned with the Democrats. Given his recent shifts and cozying up to the current administration and GOP candidates, I'd bet that he's lost at least 10% of those who voted for him whether they were Democrats or Independents, and his alignment with McCain won't help.

When is the last time a Republican won a Connecticut Senate seat?

Sure the Republicans helped get him in, but thats mostly because it was a choice between Lieberman or Lamont, the GOP candidate wasn't even on the radar in that election.

23. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

If I could wave a magic wand and make any politician disappear from Washington, Lieberman would be high up on the list after Bush and Cheney.

ABC: McCain is announcing his pick Friday, according to his camp.

Actually, I think Lieberman said he didn't want it. Huckabee and Romney both want it badly, and I believe Huckabee attacked the idea of a Romney VP.

24. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Pawlenty is a governor. He has more experience in his pinky finger than Barack's total experience.

25. gibbz macrumors 68030

All of this talk of experience.

Experience is simply what people name their mistakes.

If someone has, say, 10 years of government "experience", but the whole 10 years is laced with poor policies and voting history, that "experience" unequivocally means squat to his/her ability to run the country.