Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
Hi guys/gals. I was reading through the specs of VPC6 and at the bottom, I noticed that it said "For optimal performance, u need to be running 10.2.3 w/ a geforce or ati radeon video card." or something along that line. My question is, where's 10.2.3 and i thought vpc didn't support video hardware acceleration?

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
Not all versions are out yet, some won't be released until the end of the month.

DOS and WIN XP are out, I believe the rest will be released next week.

10.2.3 is supposed to be out shortly, according to all the rumors :)

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: VPC v6 question

Originally posted by chibianh
Hi guys/gals. I was reading through the specs of VPC6 and at the bottom, I noticed that it said "For optimal performance, u need to be running 10.2.3 w/ a geforce or ati radeon video card." or something along that line. My question is, where's 10.2.3 and i thought vpc didn't support video hardware acceleration?

This sounds verryyy interesting, where did you get this copy of VPC6?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Just had a quick look online, and it appears vpc6 is available... through dubious means, of course.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by OSeXy!
Hmmm. Interesting. Looks like 10.2.3 will be here in ... hours?

I'm not sure, but that would make this a great Christmas Break Present :D

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
hi ... first post ...

anyway, now it says "a future release of the Mac OS," rather than 10.2.3.

stupid Apple and their release stubborness.

Max_Walker

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2002
VP6 Point upgrade or full upgrade

This seems a point upgrade change (getting it faster means recognising it was slow before).

$99 seems a steep price to pay for upgrade from version 5 - whenever you bought it.:

Mr. Dibbs

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2002
USA
Thank God for free press. the Mac Central Article still has 10.2.3 listed, and I've downloaded a web archive of the site as proof. the article is quite interesting. should they change it, I have it saved, so I'll post it as a pdf on my download site if it's edited.

Mr. Dibbs

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2002
USA
One other thing of note, VPC 3 could intercept calls to a Voodoo 3dfx card for 3D hardware acceleration, and they were bought by nVidia, which in turn makes several cards used in Mac computers. It may very well be quite reasonable to speculate that if Connectix can get low level access in OSX for VPC's VM, then we would see hardware 3D accelleration in the near future. I, for one, however, am a bit perterbed about them making this a whole number change, with a pricetag, but they have to feed their kids too I suppose.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
10.2.3 has been seeded for some time now. I am running 10.2.3 6g26 right now. I havent gotten around to installing 6g28 yet. 10.2.3 brought up my xbench score from 120 to 126. then from 6g20 to 6g24 it brought my score from 126 to 141. this will be a very nice update.

iJon

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Yeah, I bought the upgrade this morning. It's certainly faster, although I'm not sure the 25% boost will come before OS X 10.2.3. The most interesting new feature, though, is that there is now a "Start" menu in my dock. While this might repulse some, it's helpful for my needs (and, obviously, it's easy to get rid of it). As with Jaguar, I'd have been happy to save a few bucks by having it a free update, but I can accept it as a paid upgrade. Looks like a lot of people worked very hard on this product. They deserve to get paid.

Anyway, thumbs up. I gave it 4/5 stars.

Chris

Tagada

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2002
Kosice - Slovakia
Just speculations... the red boxe is coming

As you can read in the connectix forum, it looks like Apple and Connectix worked very closly to get the speed increase... and that the other major feature of 6.0 is a first step to a closer integration between the virtual PC and MacOS.

It's pur speculation but I see here a definit trend.
- I am quite positive that within 12 months, MacOS will support Windows formated partition. This will remove VPC disk IO overhead and give us another speed bump
- There is a chance that once Connectix drops MacOS 9 (my guess is that they alsmost did for 6.0 again ready from there online post) VPC will use more of MacOS X specific function.
Imagine what could be done if somehow they used QuarkExtrem to draw each window on its specific QE layer. Then it would be easy to 'hide' the windows desktop and run Win apps 'à la' classic
give us a faster chip, a windows MacOS X theme and you get....
The redboxe
Back to 1998 :eek:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.