Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2004
I am trying to connect to a Cisco router using the Panther VPN connection. They software ways I am connected but nothing on the network shows up. I have configured the IP addresses of the printers and of a database that I need to access but they don't appear.

Can anyone help me out with this? The connection works perfectly with Windows.

Thanks

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
could you explain your network situation better? i am assuming the vpn server is on cisco hardware, or is it on a server and you just using the router as a router?

geri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2004
it is the cisco router (hardware) at work. windows machines have no problems logging in. thanks

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
geri said:
it is the cisco router (hardware) at work. windows machines have no problems logging in. thanks

use the cisco vpn client for Mac OS X, not the one the comes with OS X.

geri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2004
I tried that but I got the following error - Warning 201: The necessary VPN sub-system is not available. You can not connect to the remote server. ?

Unfortunately our IT guys don't know anything about Macs so I don't know if this is an error on my end or the router's end.

Thanks for your help.

Geri

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
geri said:
I tried that but I got the following error - Warning 201: The necessary VPN sub-system is not available. You can not connect to the remote server. ?

Unfortunately our IT guys don't know anything about Macs so I don't know if this is an error on my end or the router's end.

Thanks for your help.

Geri

which verison are you using?

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
Try using a different VPN client, Cisco VPn Client version 4.0.3(3), I upgraded to that it it worked fine with my Cisco PIX Firewall VPn Solution.

geri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2004
Do you know where I could get that version. Apparently you need to support contract to download that version and we don't have one. I am the only person using a Mac so I am kind of on my own here to make it work. Thanks

DaBuzz

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Hi all,

I have to single-handedly provide support for Macs in my organization, even though I am in management...:). It's amazing how narrow-minded IT support can be. Even after testing a client's given group/password and user name on my Mac and PC, the IT staff insisted it was a Mac issue, until I had to prove them wrong. What a shame...

We use the Cisco VPN client and it works great. If you need the latest version, I have it up on my iDisk public folder. You can email me for the account name.

Remember, your group authentication is different than your user name. (This point seems to confuse some people.)

The latest version is 4.0.3 (E).

drew2002

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2004
VPN Problem

Hi guys,
I am having so trouble with my set-up I have the latest CISCO client i.e. 4.0.3 e on OS X 10.3 and when I try login to VPN it asks me to authenticate then it continues on like it should but when it comes to setting up the secure channel it asks me to authenticate again then it returns to the connection screen with not connected in the status bar.

I original had 4.0.2 client which i uninstall before I install 4.0.3 client.

Anyone have any suggestions I do have the OSX firewall running do I need to do something with that?

Thanks
Drew2002

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
There are a few things you must know to login to a cisco vpn:

The site IP address or fully qualified hostname, your username and password, either the group username and password or have a certificate.

I know this is a horrid thing to ask a fellow mac user to do but can you login okay from a windows machine?

If so, you maybe able to copy the .pcf file that lives somewhere like (from repressed memory :) C:\Program files\Cisco\VPN Client\Profiles\ to your mac and use to client to import it into your list of connections.

Here comes the rub.

Some sites, however, require that the client has a recognised firewall (Zone Alarm, Black ICE, Cisco built in one, none of which run on the Mac). If your site is like this, buy your friendly vpn admin some beer and ask to have a new group called something like MacUsers (and to let you know that group password) without the firewall requirement.

You will just have to reassure him that you're running a BSD variant which has (and you know how to use) a very secure firewall. You also know the need to keep your system up to date. Then edit your connnection and replace the groups username and password.

I am using a cisco vpn, but I'm the admin. mmmawwhahhahah. Trust me the beer works ;-)

drew2002

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2004
Thanks

Thanks Roadkill I do some digging and find out if we have a firewall requirement. And to answer you question yes my windows machine works fine, and I imported the setting from windows machine to my mac.

Thanks again
Drew2002

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.