VT passes single payer law, says healthcare a right

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MyDesktopBroke, May 26, 2011.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/05/26/vermont-governor-single-payer/

If they get a waiver from DC they can implement it in 2017, although Obama is apparently open to an amendment to let them start in 2014 instead. What do you think? I think it's safe to say that Mitt Romney's healthcare bill played a large role in shaping what was considered passable on a federal level. If VT can show that single payer is a viable way to handle insurance, will it be adopted by other states?

CT was on the verge of a similar bill, but our Gov. has soured on the idea at the 11th hour. Either way, we'll eventually get a chance to see exactly how a single payer system in America actually works.

2. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Just because it would work in Vermont is no guarantee that it would work in other states. Still, an interesting experiment.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Love it. :cool:

If many conservatives are to be believed, Vermonters will soon be enjoying year-long queues for surgery, fleeing for neighboring states for treatment, or facing even deadlier death panels than the rest of us.

Or maybe not. :D

4. ender land macrumors 6502a

It'll take a while before the viability is totally known.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As opposed to your average HMO??

If you expect perfection on the first go-round, you are setting yourself up for failure.

I'm sure "individuals" will do their best to ensure that the VT pilot project fails.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You're kind of a "glass half empty" guy, aren't you?

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's a significant, if limited, victory for advocates of single-payer systems. A step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I think the relative health of Vermonters would be a big factor in the equation.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Only when beer is involved, otherwise I struggle to look on the bright side.

However, when dealing with the U.S.A., one should never underestimate the determination of those wishing to maintain the status quo.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

For those who wish to compare Vermont's demographics to the U.S. as a whole, the U.S. Census Bureau statistics are available here.

So far, I've found that Vermonters are older and whiter.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Something tells me that when everyone has access to medical care, the health of Vermonters will be better than fine. Who also wants to place bets on how much personal bankruptcies go down?

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jun2009/db2009064_666715.htm

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

:eek:

When did that happen? I'm still not up to speed on my home state politics yet after coming back from college. :eek:

How could that even be considered in the state that is home to many insurance companies?:confused::confused:

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I wish my state would follow, and we probably would if we didn't have a hog for a governor. Damn you Chris Christie. The only good thing he did in office was not stopping our medical marijuana bill from rolling out, he initially tried to stop it but then had a change of heart. Now i have a huge "alternative therapy center" opening 10 minutes from my house. :D We really are the garden state! Wow i just totally went off topic, sorry. :eek:

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If this is successful and I don't doubt it will be, I'll bet that Vermont sees a big influx of employers as well as employees looking to be freed from the tyranny of "free" market health care. This could be a major boost for job creation.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It certainly will be in Vermont. Businesses will no longer have to pay health care costs for employees. It's going to be huge for business.

16. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

17. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I don't understand how this works. I thought the poor had Medicaid and the elderly and disabled had Medicare. (Which I pay for). I have health insurance, which I pay about $400 a month for my kids, and mine is 100% because of longevity.

In Vermont, I guess it will be the insured that pay for this? Now 100% ? Or will it be more out of my pocket, because now I have to pay for ”Willie the Wino" to have the same health insurance that I do? Somebody has to pay for it. Maybe increasing income taxes ? Or how about corporate taxes ? Property taxes ? (I have always been a big fan of tossing elderly widows out in the street because they can't afford the increase in property taxes. :rolleyes:)

I am not bashing you two, I just really don't understand how this works.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You didn't read the article.

It also requires a federal waiver from the AFHA that Obama signed into law.

In other words, this is only the beginning of a multi-year process and at this point, who knows who will pay for what.

It will be a fascinating process to watch. Fortunately, single payer health care is quite common around the world so Vermont will have a multitude of examples to draw from.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

My brief search for an answer to this question came up empty. I did read that co-pays will help to pay for it, but I doubt that will be more than a small percentage of the costs. They have 4-years to figure it out, though I would rather have seen the legislature spell out how to fund the plan before they passed it.

And yes, this means you're chipping in for Joe the wino. But that's the cost you pay for being a part of society. If that's so abhorrent, you could always try living off the land in some corner of the wilderness. Otherwise, chip in and chin up. People are chipping in for you too.

20. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

But I already pay Medicare and Medicaid taxes. They have free hospitals all over. I am already paying for Willie the Wino. The Government can't properly manage Medicare and Medicaid, how in the hell are they going to manage everyone's health care. Look at all the commercials on tv, free this free that. Wife's ex had gotten one of those scooter chairs and NEVER used it. (Didn't need it and he didn't need to be on disability either, he has been milking the system at our expense). Do you really believe that the the Government can manage our Heath care without extreme cost over runs and corruption ?

I do agree that our current system needs tweaking, but I don't like the idea of socialized medicine. I do give Obama credit for making it possible for us to keep our kids on our insurance for a longer period of time.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What makes you say "the government can't manage those two"?

What evidence do you have to back that assertion?

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You mean the two massively successful programs with the lowest overhead rates of any (private) American healthcare ?

23. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Do you bother to read any facts at all? Medicare and Medicaid, even WITH the "corruption" overhead, has the lowest overhead cost of any health "insurance". Sure there's corruption and it needs to be stopped but when you'r e not out to make a profit or please share holders, it matters less.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It should be telling how up in arms the insurance industry was and still is about the "80 cents for every dollar going to health services" clause of "Obamacare". That would leave an entire fifth to use for overhead and profit, yet somehow that is unimaginable and outrageous to the industry.

It should also be telling that the industry's unified response against the public option was that it would be too hard to compete against such a thing. Think about that. That means that it would indeed save a ton of money. That to me says that none of these companies are truly playing a "free market" game. The competition is too great, therefore it can't exist.

Why is HUMAN HEALTH a for profit business? I really have a hard time fathoming a more evil institution.

25. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I can see a world where human health being for profit being a good thing, advancing technologies to cure more diseases to make more money, but that relies on people being inherently good always. That situation can still exist and medicine can prosper with a single payer system. :D