VW executive lands himself a 7 year prison sentence after emissions cheating

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SoN1NjA, Dec 7, 2017.

1. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I might have missed the bigger story. Were consumers compensated or were their cars retrofitted with more emission friendly parts?

3. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

The VW owner had either option of a buyback or retrofitting but with the crazy money they were giving out, almost everyone took the buyback.

I can't complain. I got a lot of money for my diesel Jetta in the VW diesel buyback.

In the end though, it caused much more pollution then the emissions ever caused with the number of cars ending up in landfills.

4. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

VW paid a several billion dollar settlement and issued a recall if I remember correctly.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 ---
    Eh. 7 years and a $400K fine sounds about right for this level of fraud.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Thanks!

6. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

This wasn't a one person operation.

7. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I’m guessing that his “prison” will be closer to a 5 star resort than Alcatraz and he’ll probably be out in 7 months.

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Oh gotcha. I agree. They need to go after more of the people involved.

Maybe part of this guy’s plea deal was that he cooperate any future prosecutions.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

I keep thinking of the scene in Erin Brockovich where she says to drink up - that they brought in water from Hinkley. Maybe he should sit in a room with one of his cars.

And no - I am not suggesting he be killed or anything remote.

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Making excuses, or another Lieutenant takes the bullet for the Boss?

Quote from OP link: In a letter to the judge published earlier this week, Schmidt said he felt like he was “misused” by VW in the diesel scandal. He argued that he was following a script written by the company’s management and one of its lawyers when he lied to the California Air Resources Board about the compliance of VW’s cars with US regulations, and that he had come on board after the scheme was devised.

11. weckart macrumors 601

Depends where you were. My Audi finally got a firmware update a couple of months ago. Had zero effect on emissions, performance or fuel consumption. I felt cheated and wronged. All this scandal for...this.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

My VW Passat was remapped by VW and I got a free pen, thermos cup and a key ring as an apology.

13. weckart macrumors 601

Considering Audi charges over £50+VAT for the little plastic bin that sits in the cupholder, you probably got £200 worth of apology.

14. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

In the US, they bought our cars back for good money. I think the emission standards are much tougher here (driven by California standards).
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 ---
    What country are you located in ?

In the US for people who didn't want the VW buyback, the initial software change lowered both the MPG and power of the VW diesels.

15. weckart macrumors 601

See post above yours. Language used and currency symbol would be big clues I would have thought.

Regardless of the pointless (except for legalities) firmware update, the blow to the reputation of the VW group would have had a deleterious effect on residuals. I think a class action is brewing here and I have heard mutterings to that effect.