VZ data plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 67bmer, Oct 17, 2012.

1. 67bmer macrumors member

I was thinking about buying an iphone 5. It would be paid for in less than 1 year if I did not get a data plan. It does not seem like I need a data plan most of the time. I am surrounded by wifi.

Can one get 1 month data for a one time fee like the ipad from VZ or ATT?

Is there any reason why this is totally stupid?

TIA

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

If you plan on having it on the carrier's line then you cannot do it without data. Every U.S. carrier requires data on a line with a smartphone (some grandfathered models excluded).

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

1.) If you have an iPhone, and are using it as a phone, it must have a data plan.

2.) if you have to put it on credit & not have data just to pay it off, perhaps you ought to rethink your budget (and your priorities.)

4. 67bmer thread starter macrumors member

you miss understood my point. A data plan costs $70/month. You can buy the phone for $600. If I keep it 5 years like my current phone that is $4200!!! Is an iphone really worth $4200???? My current phone is $10/month additional to our bill.

The only problem is my current sim card does not fit the iphone 5.

In theory, if I plugged my current sim card into an "iphone" 4s for example, wouldn't I be able to make and receive calls? I thought all you had to do was switch sim cards when switching compatible phones???

I have also heard that I could trim my current card to fit. would the phone work then?

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I see. You can do a SIM swap and it could work for a while, but the iPhone would be detected on the network and first you would be warned to add a data plan, and then, if you did not add one, it would be added for you.

6. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

No Sim Cards

VZ phones don't use SIM cards like that. The 4s & 5 have SIM card slots because they are world phones, but they don't use them to register phones on the Verizon network. You have to call Verizon to change your phone and in doing so, they would force you to get a Data Plan.

7. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

100% false info. Why would you even post crap like that ?

8. andross77 macrumors regular

EASY solution. Buy a new ipod touch for $299, done. Keep your tiny $10/mo plan and spend $300 and now you have all the capabilities of the iphone 5 and you save THOUSANDS (you just have to carry 2 devices everywhere lol :))

9. aneftp macrumors 601

iPod touch new edition is not like iPhone 5.

1/2 the RAM, half the speed with older A5 processor. iPod touch is the ugly step sister these days.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You keep a cellphone for 5 years? I dont even keep my cars that long:D
    Maybe 1 to 2 years for a cellphone for me and then it starts getting old compared to other better/faster devices released.
    BTW, if you get a verizon iphone 5 full price or buy it without contract you can cut your sim to nanosim and stick it in. It will work fine.
    If you are on post paid AT&T or Verizon they will detect it and will add the mandatory iphone data plan automaticly to your account.
    Not sure what carrier you're on though.

11. 67bmer thread starter macrumors member

WOW. that sucks that they detect it and then charge you for it:( Networks are to damn smart these days.

I have had my current phone for 5 years. Kept waiting for the new iphone. I finally waited long enough. But even if you do get a new one every two years, 5 phones later you have paid nearly $9000!!!!

Thanks for all the great comments...

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know, its a rip off.
    Sucks that they dont let you get and pay for the services that you want and use.
    If someone doesnt was to use data on the go and wants to stick to wifi only they should have an option not to but greed gets in the way of customers needs instead.

13. bogatyr macrumors 65816

How do you go from $10/mo to $70/mo? What plan are you on/going to?

14. Pirate515 macrumors member

It's probably true that 4S on Verizon uses SIM card for roaming purposes only. Since 4S does not have LTE, its default protocol would be to try to connect to its home CDMA network, and if unsuccessful, try GSM.

5, however, is LTE-capable, and AFAIK, all LTE devices require a SIM card. So on 5 SIM card probably serves a two-fold purpose, which is authenticating on LTE network plus roaming. I wonder what would happen if you remove SIM card from 5, would it lose service completely or still work with data limited to 3G?

That part I agree with. I think VZW also allows you to add/change devices online. You need to have device's ESN/MEID ready, plus SIM card number if it is LTE-capable device. Regardless, if you add any kind of smartphone, they will force data plan on you.

15. cngrevolution macrumors member

exactly. More Miss info. The 4s uses the sim for world purposes. But because the 5 is LTE all the info is on the SIM card very much like a gsm phone. You can take out that sim from the 5 and put it into another LTE Verizon phone and that phone will immediately be recognized on the network as your phone.

16. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

not true at all since 4G phones do not get activated and they do not force data plans on people . So thanks for playing and have a great day

17. andross77 macrumors regular

That is ridiculous to think the new ipod touch can't give you a very similar experience to the iphone 5. It is SEVEN times more powerful than the iphone 4 is (still a good smart phone). It has the SAME screen size and resolution as the 5. You know, that thing you will be looking at 100% of the time. Half CPU means that your app will open up in 0.0001 seconds instead of 0.00005 seconds. Half ram isn't a big deal as 512 is fine for ios. Unused apps get "frozen" anyways as ios doesn't have true multi-tasking like android; it's just a lot more polished and smooth. You will notice ZERO difference between the 512 and 1gb ram and the A5 and A6 processor in 90 to 95% of situations.

You apparently have not used an iphone 4s and 5 next to each other because the speed difference is extremely minimal. Good job parroting back what you've read on the interwebz though!

18. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

To further continue Andross's point, also remember that the iPod Touch isn't burdened with all of the phone functions and GPS that the iPhone has to do at all times. While that may not take up a LOT of resources, it takes some. My guess is if you compared an iPhone 4S connected to a 3G network and an iPod Touch, the iPod Touch would out preform the 4S since it can dedicate all of its RAM and CPU/GPU to the application at hand. Is it as fast as the iPhone 5? No, but I'm going to guess it will be about 5-10% faster than the 4S since it doesn't have to do multiple things at any given moment and it is also running the A5v2 chip which is less power hungry than the A5 running in the iPhone 4S (although there doesn't appear to be much gain in processing power by the switch to the A5v2).....

Just like any computer, the more things a computer has to do, the less resources it has to allocate to any one given task.

19. aneftp macrumors 601

Have had all 6 iPhones. The 5 is def faster than the 4S. Don't think twice as fast. But at feels at least 30% faster.

Same with 4S compare to the 4. The 4S feels much faster.

I am just saying for the first 3 generations of iPod touch and iPhones. Apple treated them the same. Starting in 2010. Apple made the iPod touch the ugly step sister.

20. andross77 macrumors regular

it's not the ugly step sister. it's called making sure you differentiate your products so you can make the most profit. the 4s GPU was 7 times better than the 4's and the processor went from single core to dual core but also a much better architecture. the 4 to 4s was a HUGE leap even though many people cried about it having the same looks. The jump from 4s to 5 is much smaller, power-wise, but of course you get a bigger and higher res screen.

21. 67bmer thread starter macrumors member

Final update:

I have decided to get one!

my current lg env2 use to only cost $10/month under the old contract. However, it now costs $30/month on the share everything plan. For a 5 year old phone with no data, etc... Thats $360/year, every year. UFB!!!

The new iphone 5 will cost $40/month. Which is $480/year, every year. Except I cant get one because they dont have any:-(

22. gentlefury macrumors 68030

If you don't think you need data you are better off getting a dumb phone and an iPod Touch. It will be cheaper in the long run.

There is no point in having an iPhone if you don't plan on using it as a mobile device.