VZN Iphone 5 in Italy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scmguru, Oct 12, 2012.

1. scmguru macrumors member

Hi Folks.. does anyone know if this phone will work there? We're going on vacation and wanted to know if I should bring the iPhone 5 or take my trusty 4S.

Thanks!

2. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

It should work just fine! The verizon iPhone 5 should be the most compatible one of all iPhones! =)

Keep in mind that here in Italy we don't have LTE yet, so you'll be on 3g!
    When you arrive here just stop in a carrier shop, buy a prepaid sim card and you'll be fine, since the verizon iPhone 5 is factory unlocked.

We have 4 carriers, Tim is probably the one with the best reception (but it depends a little on where you are going). It's a little bit on the expansive side, but if you are under 31 they make a special offer called "Tim Young":
    - for 6 euros you get one month of free sms, 1gb internet
    - for 12 euros you get one month of free sms, 1gb internet and 200 minutes of calls (to italian numbers). Unfortunately facetime 3g is not included, but you can use skype

If you use Wind or H3G (tre) you can have facetime included in very cheap prices but reception is usually worse.

Have fun here! =)

3. Lauren02 macrumors newbie

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but you seem pretty knowledgeable about what Italy has and doesn't have, so I thought I could ask you. When I asked someone at TIM, they had no idea.

I visit once a year and brought a different phone with me this year that I use on TIM (not an iPhone, but HSPA+ compatible like what the iPhone 4s utilizes), and noticed my speeds were terrible compared to here in the States. Is 3G ALL that Italy has or are there some areas that have HSPA+ speeds?

Thanks!

4. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

3G is the best you can find at the moment : something better should be available by the end of the year (so read "next year" as we're in Italy)

5. Lauren02 macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response! Thought that might be the case- I know progression moves quickly in Italy :rolleyes:

6. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

:( :( :(

7. cherrypik macrumors newbie

Not trying to hijack this thread but whats the chance of me purchasing a nano sim in Italy this week?

8. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

I'm still waiting for my iPhone from the Apple Store, but normally Tim, Vodafone and 3 are selling their iPhones since at least a couple of full weeks : so it shouldn't be difficult to get their nano SIMs from their shops ...