VZW- best way to preorder w/ unlimited data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wadawow, Sep 12, 2012.

1. wadawow macrumors member

I have unlimited data from VZW and was trying to decide whether to preorder via Verizon or the Apple store? Does VZW typically have preorders the same time as Apple?

Also, I may be ordering it on my iPhone via the apple store app... will this be a total nightmare? I work very early on Friday!

Thanks.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you preorder and want subsidized price, then you will loose your unlimited plan.

3. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

this is true, There is no way to keep unlimited data if you preorder anymore. You will have to wait and buy unsubsidized for $649

4. reverendwinte macrumors newbie

Not related but I don't want to start a new thread. How difficult/possible is it for me to just add a second line to my account and then preorder the 5 with that new line and then once i get the phone swap the phones (i have the 4s now).

5. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

are you really using more then 2 gigs of data a month?

6. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

You can open a new line and pre-order at the subsidized price.

And yes, if I tether with 4G/LTE, I'll definitely go over 2 GB.

7. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Guys.. you can pre-order the full price iPhone, just not unlocked. I am pre-ordering the full priced Verizon 16GB Black iPhone 5 to be delivered September 21st.

8. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

what if you don't tether?

9. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

That's very subjective. I personally don't, but I have wifi most places I go and don't currently use my Phone for tether. I know people who don't have wifi most places and get very close to 2 GB. If you do a lot of streaming audio, 2 GB is probably not enough.

10. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I'm usually under 1GB if I don't tether - but that was on 3G which has sucked for data lately. When I had my Thunderbolt, before I had tethering, I used 20GB+ though.

Tethering (currently using a Razr Maxx until the 5 is released) I'm at 10-80GB/mo. I don't plan on scrapping tethering after moving to the iPhone 5. LTE tethering is better than my home Comcast ever was and is half the price (tethering $30, Comcast was $60 for just Internet).

11. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

This is what I have to do since I am upgrade eligible so they won't allow me to preorder without the subsidized price.

I also tether because I travel a lot so I go over 10gbs easy with pandora, netflix and hulu plus using my android lte

12. pyroza macrumors regular

I can't upgrade at $199 until October 6th. If I wait until then to buy the 5, do I still get unlimited data?

13. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Nope. To keep unlimited data you must buy at full price, that's the only option.

14. scorpio333 macrumors member

My wife just got a new phone right after the new plans started. It's true if you want to keep unlimited you have to pay full price. We're actually doing better on the new plan.

This will be my first experience with pre-ordering. Still trying to figure out if it's better to order from Apple, verizon's website, or just chance it at a small local store on the 21st.

15. xlost6 macrumors 6502

If you have an upgrade available on a different line and your line has unlimited data. Transfer the upgrade from the different line to yours and purchase the iPhone 5. Your plan will remain the same but the different line will be extended to a new 2 year agreement. That's what I'm doing.

16. pyroza macrumors regular

So if I use an upgrade from a different line for a new 5, does that reset my upgrade date as well? Or would I still be eligible for an upgrade come October when I hit 20 months on my current contract?

17. aohus macrumors 68000

bud, 2GB of data is NOTHING on LTE. You Apple folks will find out the hard way once you join the LTE bandwagon come Sept 21.

just sayin...

18. lkrmd7 macrumors newbie

How are you doing that? Via Verizon or Apple, etc?

19. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

This is upsetting to hear. Luckily I am using upgrade from another line but still. Can Verizon get any more cheap?!

20. KingCoop macrumors newbie

I plan on doing the same thing as I have meetings beginning at 9AM EST and may not be able to pre-order from a computer at 8AM EST. So the app may be the best option for me. I did a dry run today for a 4S and everything worked fine, but of course when Apple's servers are being hammered it may be a different story.

21. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I never really considered this option until recently and i've been on the phone with Verizon getting the details. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until 12/5, but I have tons of family members who don't care what phone they use and are eligible for an upgrade now. I'm just going to use their upgrade and have the phone sent to me, Verizon still wins because the contract is extended and I win because I only pay 199. When the phone comes on the 21, I call up Verizon, give them the MEID number and serial number and the add the phone to my account and I keep my unlimited plan because I did not use my subsidized upgrade.

22. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

I called Apple tonight to make sure I could do this (preorder an unsubsidized 5 on Verizon with my unlimited plan) and he said it would be fine. If you go to Apple's site and check eligibility, they show you the prices with and without the upgrade, which suggests that preorders should certainly allow for the unsubsidized phone.

23. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I've used 10 gbs in a month on my 4G android phone without tethering. With tethering I'm around 30 gbs month. I can imagine using more with iOs because of the data hungry apps. You'll see

24. repertoire macrumors newbie

So I have the unlimited data with S3 on verizon (which is the primary line). My wife wants an upgrade to the ip5, which is the 2nd line of our family plan.

If she upgrades with the subsidized price, will verizon:

1. allow her to maintain her unlimited data (bc my s3 is the primary line and i've been grandfathered in) OR
    2. force both of our lines to the shared family plan OR
    3. force her line (2nd)only into a family shared data plan??

25. rogo43 macrumors member

The Headache Begins......

I have a family plan with my Mother and Sister. We all have iPhone 4s with Unlimited Data. Im going to upgrade tomorrow night to the IP5 so i guess I really do need to sit down and figure out what the hell is going to happen to my VZW account now that ill be forced into a data limit with the LTE..

MY headache is starting to emerge..... I WISH Big Red would just stop being a Bit*H and give us Unlimited DATA!!!!!!!