VZW Customers in the middle of a 2 year contract...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gonzisupreme, Feb 3, 2011.

1. gonzisupreme macrumors newbie

Anyone on these boards with who has verizon is almost certainly interested in getting the IP4 asap....however i'm sure there a good amount of you smack dab in the middle of your contract. My question is do if you really intend to pay 600 dollars for a phone?

The thing that bothers me is that this group of customers I feel have been overlooked. A friend of mine had 4 months left on his contract and preordered for 199 today. Then of course there is the rebate promotion they came out with where if you bought a phone between now and Nov...you can get a 200 dollar rebate if you buy an iphone at retail.

However if you're right in the middle...you can eff off as far as VZ is concerned. Not good Customer Service IMO.

2. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

I payed a $700 for my iPhone last night but I could care less I know what ill be getting is a good phone. I mean, I miss my 3GS :( But whatever you have to do when you move.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My contract is ending in a few months with VZW and there's no way I'd be willing to pay full price for the iPhone, heck I'm not about to buy the IP4 even with the subsidized price. Why get locked into a contract 2 year contract with a year old phone when apple is about to release the IP5 in a few months?

Besides, being a verizon customer you certainly can see how they like to nickel and dime the consumer, the throttling and downgrading is just icing on the cake at this point

4. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

So this thread was pretty much created to say Vz sucks?

5. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

I think he's just angry.

6. Geffen macrumors 6502

I was able to pre order the iphone for $199 and Verizon says my contract is not up until 8/2011 even though i bought my old phone back in December of 2009.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not angry, just pointing out that I'm in no rush to get a year old iPhone on a network that is so willingly to downgrade the data quality, or throttle the bandwidth.

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I personally am glad they are doing that. I'll be happy to see the bandwidth hogs throttled down to clear up some network congestion. Makes for a better experience for the vast majority of users.

9. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

We were talking about OP.

10. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

I wasn't pointing at you.

11. FiremanMike macrumors regular

<shrug> I had about 8 months to go in my contract and they let me upgrade at the new contract price..

12. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Why do you even care? It's not your money, or your 2 year contract to worry about... Some people have money to burn, like me. Once the new version ( if it is a significant update ) is available in June.. I'll give verizon my $$ for the full retail price. Don't worry about others, worry about yourself.

13. gonzisupreme thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you have to call them to ask for the 199 price...or did it automatically give it to you when you did it online?

Has anyone gotten a lower price by calling customer service?

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No way would I ever pay full retail price for the iPhone or any other high end phone. I won't even pay AT&T's early upgrade price for the iPhone.

15. FiremanMike macrumors regular

I checked at a verizon store last week just to make sure I was good to go and she said I could upgrade at new contract price but may have to pay an additional $20 fee.

When I went to the website last night it listed all three of my lines being available for upgrade at new contract price, so I just picked mine and my wife's line (which was actually out of contract by several months) and upgraded them.

ETA - I didn't have to pay the $20 fee..

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I thought it was directed to me ;)

17. foodle macrumors 6502

So ... you're mad a company won't let you out of the terms of a contract that you knowingly signed :rolleyes:

18. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Yeah so since he isn't willing to spend the $$ or don't have $$, he wants to drag everyone else down by making this thread...

:rolleyes:

19. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

So buy the phone and sell your old one? What's the issue? If you refuse to do that then wait a little while.

20. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Just wait till June and see if you can upgrade when the ip5 comes out

21. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

I have a year left so i just added it on my family plan, sold my old droid on ebay, and then will activate an old flip phone on its line so i could make it be just a $9.99 voice only line.....When I called Verizon to see what my options were to break my contract she actually suggested this path to save money.

so for $9.99 more a month for a year I was able to get the 16GB for $199 instead of full price.

Full Price - 2Year Price - (PerMonth X 12) = How much I saved

599 - 199 - (9.99x12) = 280.12

... not to mention the money in my PayPal account from the old Droid.

22. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I bought the 32GB at full retail price for a total of $747. I anticipate selling the Droid X for $300 on Ebay (includes minus Ebay + Paypal charges and shipping). I also discovered that I had $340 in credit on my account for my apartment. In the end... $147 to get the 32GB iPhone 4. :D

23. SeanMcC macrumors regular

I'm not elegible for an upgrade until May 2012, but I bought the iPhone today. It was $747 after taxes and everything.

24. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

I'm a college kid. There's no way I could pay for an iPhone unsubsidized. I'm about 6 and a half months into an updated contract. I bought the Droid 2 in August. I didn't believe the Verizon iPhone rumors, otherwise I would have held out :(

I'm waiting for the iPhone 5. By the time it comes out, my sister will be eligible for an upgrade. I'll take hers and give her my Droid or pay her or something.