VZW iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Afbar1114, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

So i know this has been asked before but does it have both CDMA and GSM? and can another SIM card be used like prepaid?

2. coolio93 macrumors 6502

It has both. and yes, another sim card can be used

3. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. coolwierdo macrumors member

could i use att or tmobile in the verizon iphone ive seen videos on youtube that you can.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Yes, however no lte in either, and only reframed areas with get 3G on tmobile.

6. coolwierdo macrumors member

no hspa speeds??

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Only on refarmed areas, as mentioned.

8. coolwierdo macrumors member

ur opinion is it worth it? if i found a verizon iphone 5 on cl unlocked for cheap

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Well, I'd make sure that the area you plan to use it either has been refarmed or there are plans to do so in the bear future. Otherwise you will be stuck with edge data, which, to me, is NOT worth it.

Fwiw all verizon iPhones are unlocked, so you don't need to look for a listing that specifically makes that distinction. Unlocked = default.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

FYI you can always refer to the specs (emphasis added):
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

11. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Verizon iPhone is probably the least useful to get of the unlocked phone options if you're going to stay in the USA most of the time and want to be on T-Mobile.

- T-Mobile has no plans to offer LTE on the frequencies the Verizon iPhone supports.
    - AT&T has no plans to offer LTE on the frequencies the Verizon iPhone supports.

If you want LTE on that phone, your only choice is Verizon. Supposedly the Verizon iPhone is more compatible with LTE networks abroad, BUT unless you plan to live abroad for a long time and purchase a local SIM card, that's not very useful since roaming data is very expensive anyway.

Right now the best choice for an unlocked iPhone if you don't want to use Verizon is the T-Mobile version:

- Full T-Mobile support including AWS HSPA+ and LTE when it becomes available.
    - Full AT&T support including LTE.

The Sprint version is the worst of all; subpar network and they don't unlock iPhones for other domestic carriers. Avoid at all cost!

12. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok so I'm looking to pick up a SIM card tomorrow since the will be like $5 I can either get net 10, AT&T, or T-Mobile. Which is a good choice?

13. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

is it just me or does it sound like you keep asking the same question over and over, even though people keep giving you answers.

i personally wouldnt get t-mobile. i would go with at&t.

14. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just looked and there was no answer so look again

15. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i would get at&t, as almost all of their network is HSPA/HSPA+ and has better 850mhz building penetration as opposed to tmobile's 1900.