VZW RAZR Maxx -> iPhone 4S?...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RWil85, Feb 28, 2013.

1. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Quick question...

I've had androids and blackberries...

Most recently I've been using a Razr Maxx on Verizon which obviously has access to the LTE network.

All of my other electronics are Apple and I love them - they "just work".. I've never had an iPhone and am itching to try one..
    I have an upgrade coming in a few months, but can get a 4S now off of someone for a decent price...will I be absolutely miserable going from a 4G to a 3G phone?

Anyone with experience making a similar switch have any thoughts on this? Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. keithteamzissou macrumors newbie

It will be fine if your okay with the abridged mobile sites. Emails are the same but verizon's 3g is slow.

3. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eh, thanks for the feedback.

That's what I had read and figured I'd hear.

Was hoping someone might've had a different experience and could've filled me in on it.

4. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

4G to 3G is a major difference unfortunately. Especially if you do major surfing or YouTube stuff.

I just switched from the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon to the iPhone 5 and couldn't be happier. I don't know if I'd feel the same if it had been the 4S.

5. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Verizons "3G" is pretty miserable. If you were on at&t, the 4S gets excellent speed on hspa+

6. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I would wait for your upgrade, and either get a 5 or 5S (depending on how long you want to wait).

7. Fatalbert, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

Fatalbert macrumors 6502

4S on AT&T has 4G HSPA+, which is supposedly almost as fast as LTE, but not on Verizon unfortunately for some. IMO the RAZR MAXX sucks except for its LTE and battery life. I'd personally choose the iPhone.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

And the battery life.

9. SR71 macrumors 68000

If I were you I'd just wait for the 5S, because you already know it's going to have two important things: More energy-efficient and faster processor, and an IGZO display. Those two alone are worth upgrading for the battery life gains, which should be significant, especially if it does indeed get the IGZO display, which I'm assuming it will as the iPad 5 is rumored to also be getting it and they're rumored to be coming out around the same time and it wouldn't make much sense to include new display tech on one device, but not the other.

If waiting for and buying the 5S is out of the question, why not just get the iPhone 5 now (has LTE, which on VZW is INCREDIBLE... I'm loving my VZW iPhone 5) or wait till the 5S comes out and then upgrade to the 5 when they drop the price to $100 like they do every year? Personally, I'd either get a 5 or 5S, but that's just me. I've gotten too used to the 4-inch display (which, IMO, shows considerably more information on the screen when compared to the old 3.5-inch display).

10. Fatalbert macrumors 6502

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

11. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys for all of the input..

Most pretty much confirmed what I had already been thinking - wait for a 5 or 5S.
    The Verizon LTE is so good that I wouldn't want to give it up. I'll see what the rumors for the 5S look like in a couple of months and decide then.

12. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

Last week my son recently was selling his razr maxx because although he loved the battery life he hated the phone - he previously had the 4s before moving to Verizon.

After 6 months with the razr maxx I begged him not to buy a 4s again because 3g to LTE then back to 3g would be a killer. He ended up getting the iphone5....

I think you should wait for thr 5s or buy a 5 like everyone else suggested.

13. knuckleballer34 macrumors newbie

Two weeks ago I faced a similar scenario; my employer's IT department discontinued supporting company email on Android devices. I had a Droid RAZR MAXX and loved it, but had to switch to Apple or Blackberry (easy choice between those two at least). I chose the 4S; I usually did not have the LTE switched on my MAXX, and the only apps I use are amazon, CL, and Pandora. If your a light data user on a budget and don't need LTE, give it a look. The 4S is a nice phone, and I got used to the smaller screen size after a few days. But if I used the phone constantly and needed LTE, i'd have gotten the 5.