VZW unlimited 4G tethering! I might considering cancelling my home internet service..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cali4ever, Jul 1, 2011.

1. ap3604, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

ap3604 macrumors 68000

Nice to have the option of unlimited tethering.

I wonder how hot the phones battery is going to get when your tethering with LTE (already an battery hog) and charging it at the same time? Seems like the extreme temperatures would kill your batteries ability to hold a charge in the future :(

Edit: oh and don't forget that while Verizon doesn't do it yet, they still said they reserve the right to throttle the top % of data abusers in the future so if your thinking of using this to stream Netflix/Hulu all day I would forget about it...

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Oh jeez. Not another one. :rolleyes:
    You better keep the money you save from canceling your home Internet. You're going to need it when Verizon switches you to a tiered data plan or charges you for the data you used while tethering.
    Of course, they might simply throttle you. If that's the case, thank whatever deity you worship or thank luck if you're an atheist.

3. Cali4ever thread starter macrumors member

VZW never Throttled, they threatened to throttle then reversed their decision and decided against Throttling! VZW DOES NOT THROTTLE!

4. soco macrumors 68030

soco

This is great news for anyone who has been looking at LTE as a possible home cable replacement.

It's got me thinking...

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

mobile data hotspot ≠ home internet replacement

6. tekker macrumors regular

u jelly? VZW 4G is faster than my home internet.

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Wow really?

What speeds are you getting?

8. soco, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

soco macrumors 68030

soco

That's a pretty ignorant thing to say. I get maximum speeds of ~10Mbps at home, ~25Mpbs on a Verizon Droid Charge.

9. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Yea you do NOW. Once more 4g phones get out, that speed will drop to the 5-12 Mbps range.

10. soco macrumors 68030

soco

They will or they might? I'd be a fool to say the latter isn't probable, but I'm speaking in optimism of how things are present day.

11. wordoflife, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Likewise.
    No, I'm not jealous, I can afford my home internet and smartphone data plans. Also, if you were wondering, my home internet is 30Mb/s.

Those data plans have a fair-usage policy. You are abusing it by using it as your home connection. Excessive use is the whole reason why carriers are getting rid of unlimited data. The break-even point for carriers in terms of costs is 5GB per month (or each time you pay $30).

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/footer/acceptableuse.jsp

I know you are going to refuse to believe or care about what I am saying, but just know that you are wrong about using it as your home internet.

12. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I use 4G LTE, and it's never been faster than my home internet. Verizon's map says we have LTE in our area, but for some reason my street is unlucky. I walk one block to our our park, and I get 4G there... but never in my house. I don't need 4G at home anyway... my home internet is fast enough.

[​IMG]
    :)

13. Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

Maybe if you're single this would work, but I have two laptops, 3 iPhones, an apple tv, ps3, wii, and an iPad at home that all connect to our router (Atv, ps3, wii hardwired) there is no way I could replace our home Internet with that. Plus when I leave, there goes the Internet for the rest of my family. Plus I get 25mb down and 20mb up, LTE is fast, but not that fast. And we use probably over 100gb a month with YouTube, netflix, hulu, and iTunes alone, I doubt Verizon will let that fly.

14. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

Citation?

15. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

so? :rolleyes: straight download and upload speeds aren't the whole story. Latency is the biggest issue. Any cable provider will have a much better ping than even verizon's 4g.

16. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

What if you wanted to use a Slingbox while traveling? Keep your home Internet.

17. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

it would be nice, i wonder if there would be any hiccups downloading huge amounts of pr0n though :)

18. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Nope. It's better on the phone here.