W10 Bootcamp, 2015 MBP 15" w/ m370x, throttling + no options in Catalyst menu?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dingobiatch, Sep 7, 2015.

1. dingobiatch macrumors member

The new bootcamp drivers finally got released and I thought that would fix my issues with Windows 10.. I installed the new drivers, restarted, and started playing a game. Tons of throttling. Confirmed with GPU-Z, the clocks seems to go from 800 to 300, as if I'm alt-tabbing when I'm not. Games will run great and then suddenly run like crap for a minute, and it goes back and forth.

I also noticed that there's no options in the Catalyst menu - I can only adjust display options, I can't change any 3D options, anything GPU specific.

What is going on??

2. ninja2000 macrumors 6502

Have you tried capping the cpu to lower power consumption/heat to see if that solves it?

You can do this with intel XTU (along with an underplot) or by going into power settings and changing the maximum cpu performance to 99%

I have the 2014 with 750m and this makes a big difference to heat with no throttling

3. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

Does that really work?

No adverse effects on system stability or health?

I usually don't experience throttling, but every now and then it hits and GOD DAMN does it drive me up the wall.

4. ninja2000 macrumors 6502

Sorry, I completely missed your question.

Yes both options work very well. Capping the cpu at 99% in power settings just stops the cpu from turbo boosting, this is the easiest method but means your cpu will max out at 2.5ghz. Games won't be bottlenecked by the cpu speed and with my 750m the wattage drops to 70-80 watts in heavy games. Temps max out at about 80c for the gpu.

Intel XTU is more complicated but a better option. It allows you to undervolt the cpu, this can cause instability if you set it to low, so you need to test first but it will not cause damage. I have a modest 75mv underplot on the cpu.
    XTU also allows you to adjust the turbo boost multipliers. I have mine set at 30/28/26/24 (for 1, 2, 3 or 4 cores load). This means I still get some turbo boost but my power is much lower than stock

5. n1smo macrumors member

I assume you are running Yosemite. Sign up for the El Capitan Public Beta and download the GM Candidate. I haven't tried to play games on the GM yet but I can confirm that the earlier builds addressed most of the throttling issues while I was playing GTA V. Yosemite was throttle r us, GTA V runs great for the first 5 mins then becomes choppy as all hell (throttling down to 400mhz every couple of seconds alternating between that and ~700 mhz). I thought it was a hardware issue and repasted the heatsinks but that wasn't the problem. El Capitan PB1 completely eliminated the throttling, allowing the GPU to get up past 90c. Since then, they've been playing around and it'll throttle once in a while but not nearly as often as Yosemite. El Capitan is very stable, more stable than Yosemite. Upgrading my 27" iMac to it as we speak, the mid-15' rMBP w/AMD have been running it since PB1. Coming from the PC world... yeah, who would have thought the OS controls that kind of stuff, but it does.

6. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

No problem! :)

Last night i tinkered with the power settings in Windows and set the CPU to draw 99%. After that I played MGS V The Phantom Pain for a prolonged time and did not experience noticeable throttling in the same areas as previously encountered. Could be a neat trick!

7. Niarlatop macrumors member

Thanks for the information about reduced throttling under El Capitan, but the thread is about BootCamp (running Windows 10 especially) ;)

It's good to know about that 99% CPU trick, indeed most of the game would only be GPU-limited on the MacBook Pro 15.

8. dingobiatch thread starter macrumors member

I don't think my issue is temperature related. To reiterate: I have no options in my Catalyst control panel. It's as if the drivers don't recognize my graphics card, even though it does say m370x. I don't have options for anti aliasing, game profiles, power management, anything. All I have is display resolution and rotation... and a few other basic things.

9. dingobiatch thread starter macrumors member

Really need help here... I've redownloaded and reinstalled the drivers so many times now.

If someone has bootcamp Windows 10 installed with a m370x, can they take a screenshot of their Catalyst options window?