Waffle House Shooting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Apr 23, 2018.

1. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/23/us/waffle-house-shooting-manhunt/index.html
    -
    He sat in his pickup truck for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes "just looking at people inside the restaurant," Metro Nashville Police spokesman Don Aaron said.
    Then, wearing only a green jacket, the killer got out with an "assault-type rifle" and fatally shot two people outside the Waffle House, police said.
    He continued his rampage inside the restaurant, killing another two people. His motive remains unclear.
    -

We know this guy had run ins with Law Enforcement and even Federal Officials at the White House. He even had his firearms taken away by the FBI. Would more laws have stopped this?

Do we have a gun problem or a problem with mental health in this country?

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

We'll I'd wager this one leans more towards a problem with mental health. Naked shooting rampages usually lend itself to question ones state of mind.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

4. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

Not as of abount an hour ago.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2018 ---
    Then there was this incident

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/23/us/travis-reinking-guns-trnd/index.html
    -
    The first time, Reinking's guns were apparently taken away by his own father. Reinking was living in an apartment above his father's business, a crane-rental company in Tremont, Illinois. An employee at the business called the Tazewell County Sheriff's Office in June 2017 to report that Reinking came down from his apartment wearing a pink dress and holding a rifle, an incident report states.
    The employee told police that Reinking yelled, "Is this what you f---ing want?" before he threw his rifle in his vehicle's trunk and left.
    Later that day, the Tremont Police Department responded to a call at a public pool, according to another incident report. The pool director told the responding officer that a man in his 20s barged into the pool wearing a pink women's housecoat, the report states. The man dove into the pool, took off the coat and swam around in his underwear. When he got out of the pool, he shouted at lifeguards that he was a man and exposed his genitals to them, the report states.
    -

5. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Same guy that thought Taylor Swift was stalking him. Dude is a nut job.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

7. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Both and because everyone has a gun, and the more shootings there are, the more people think that a gun is the answer to their grievances, sometimes petty grievances in their life. The perception of the sanctity of human life appears to have plummeted since my childhood and much of it has to do with the glorification of guns and the perceived role of guns as the great equalizer, despite the FACT that this kind of slide off the cracker action ruins or ends your own life. :(

It really is a strong argument to take guns away from most people, because we seen unable to take effective steps that inconvenience all gun owners to ensure the sick ones don’t get this opportunity to lethally act out.

And sure, for every instance like this somone will be making arguments for their precious and the status quo, the price of Liberty and all the usual 2A blather.. :oops:

8. statik13, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018

statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

Short answer; "both". Long answer; "It's complicated".

The current estimate is 1 out of 3 Americans own guns and 1 out of 4 Americans will experience mental health issues in their lifetime.

Hope they find this guy quickly.

*editted to add sources*

9. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/waffle-house-shooting-manhunt/index.html
    -
    • The FBI interviewed Reinking shortly after he completed the program and seized his guns. Authorities in Tazewell County, Illinois, later returned the seized weapons to Reinking's father, who gave them back to his son, police said. One of those guns was the same AR-15-style rifle used in Sunday's attack.
    -
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/23/us/travis-reinking-guns-trnd/index.html
    -
    "After his arrest, the FBI and the Secret Service coordinated with local law enforcement to investigate Reinking and remove firearms from his possession, said Matthew Espenshade, Assistant Special Agent in Charge of FBI's Nashville office."
    -

Sounds like they did to me!

10. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

From what I understand, the firearms were handed over to his father's custody (not sure on the exact nature of the law enforcement involved), under the agreement they wouldn't be given back to the son, but the father gave them back anyway. [I'm assuming] there was no formal, "legally binding" agreement, regarding, the firearms, but you'd think common sense would prevail - it was just reckless behavior on the part of the dad (also assuming there will be some civil action headed his way ...)

re: the second question, yes, both.

11. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

First of all, a good guy WITHOUT a gun stopped a bad guy WITH a gun. If we're going to preach that the only answer to guns is more guns, etc. this point need to be nailed home. Secondly, it was an unarmed black man who saved all those lives, maybe for a change we point this out and give credit where credit is due. Had he been a black suspect it would've been pointed out in the first few posts.

Secondly, it's not necessarily the fact that he broke the law, it's that this type of military weapon is so freely available to the craziest people out there.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The bigger question is also this: What the hell was the Secret Service doing in letting him go?

The guy was caught making his way onto White House grounds because he wanted to meet Trump. Normal sentence for this is a fine up to $100,000 and/or a year in jail. At the least, the jail sentence would have been the easier option, but the guy was allowed to go free, which further on lead to this.

Borrowing a common stance from Trump supporters and throwing it back in their face, if the SS and the court did their job and dropped this guy in jail, this wouldn't have happened, and 4 people's lives, let alone the others at that Waffle House wouldn't be so deeply impacted.

Oh, and dare I say it? The Black Life Mattered. The Black Life saved everyone else's life.

BL.

13. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

Show me in this thread where anyone said that.

??? Pretty sure people ARE giving him credit. When I woke up this morning they were interviewing the guy before I even knew what happened.

You mean the guns he had taken away from him? Go ahead and ignore the fact that he could have done the some thing with a handgun or hunting rifle.

14. raqball macrumors 68000

News just reported he is in custody..

15. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

So some dude ran into a Waffle House, nude, whilst carrying an assault-typ rifle. I'm chalking this up to mental health. God Bless the 4 lives and their families.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

The problem you have is mentally ill people find it far too easy to get hold of guns so it’s a gun problem and a cultural problem. Mental health is something no western country does enough to help but the difference is in America is easier to go on the rampage so the outcome is often more horrific and has more of an impact on the news.

So to answer you other question; yes more laws would prevent this type of crime so regular, just like in other countries. Play, rewind and repeat.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I am not finding the FBI mentioned as seizing the guns in any source that I have looked at. It was local authorities.

But as I said before, the Nashville Chief of Police said that Reinking's weapons-possession was not in violation of any local laws. So tell us again how the laws – which do not exist there – failed us.

18. bradl, Apr 23, 2018

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Straw man. And are you neglecting the fact that he had his gun license revoked? Any purchase would have been illegal, which would have thrown him in jail immediately.

The problem here is very simple: He had his guns taken away from him. His idiot father gave them back to him, which was against the agreement he made with law enforcement. If you're looking for something or someone to blame, you blame the jerk who did this, and you blame the father for reneging on his word to the LEOs.

And also, if you're looking for laws about this or if additional laws could have prevented this? First off, you can't legislate stupidity, because the stupid gave the stupid his guns back and committed the stupid.

When you look at this case, no 2A supporter is going to garner support from this, because all usual avenues are blocked:
    • gun laws worked; stupidity on his father's part got him his guns back. Look for a criminal negligence charge to come on him for doing so.
    • A good guy without a gun stopped a bad guy with a gun. LaPierre's statement was shot down by a Black Life that Mattered.
    • Additional fault lies with the SS, who let the guy go after jumping the White House fence because he wanted to meet Trump.
    You want to talk about prevention? the SS could have prevented this. The father could have prevented this. Laws in place would have worked if the father followed them; he didn't. The only one that prevented more lives being lost was the black guy who took it upon himself to grab the AR-15 by the hot nozzle and throw it, earning him a trip to the hospital to treat a bullet graze to the arm, and the admiration of everyone in that restaurant, let alone the country.

BL.

19. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Too bad the NRA thinks this is the price of our liberty.

20. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

We have the right to own a gun. I personally don't know what needs to be done to prevent these incidents from occurring.

21. Huntn, Apr 23, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Yes, we gave ourselves the right to own a gun 200+ years ago when ball and powder weapons where the state of the technology.

It's not anything written in impermeable ink. Paper can be torn up, rules can be changed. Nothing stops us of rethinking this, and acknowledging the ability to take a life with the squeeze of a trigger should not be considered a right or it's a right with many restrictions attached, the kind of restrictions the NRA fights against tooth and nail as inconveniences we don't want to have our gun owners suffer.

Looks like finally there might be some serious pushback, which when you consider the number of people being killed annually, it's quite amazing there has been a sustainable movement before now to curb the violence. Btw, I'm not implying this is a sustainable movement, it just might peter out, just like movements before it.

22. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Look at London, they are trying to ban knives now... How far does this have to go? Will there ever be an end? You can kill someone with a flippin' pencil for crying out loud!

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, that just proves how dangerous unarmed black men really are. I guess that explains why the cops end up shooting so many of them. (Sarcasm here, in case anyone missed it....)

People can draw whatever conclusions they want from this incident. But it seems pretty clear to me:

1) Judging people based on their appearance is a pretty bad idea. Judging them based on their skin color is absurd.

2) Guns are fundamentally dangerous items. Dangerous not just to the person using them, like a table saw or an arc welder, but to anyone in a several hundred meter radius.

3) We need a better mechanism for handling gun confiscation that just letting the owner's Dad hold onto them for a while. Confiscation, to me, means not getting something back. Ever.

4) Mass shooting in a Waffle House? Is that not the most uber-American headline ever?

24. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The UK, is operating on a much different level than we are. Lethal weapons are lethal weapons. Society decides what we should be allowed to carry, how easy it should be for us to kill each other. Where we are at in the US, knives are not the issue when we have the level of gun violence facing us today, everyday.

A statistical resource: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

How many people did the guy at mandalay bay kill? How many could he have killed with knives, pencils or throwing stars? Guns are a ridiculously efficient way to kill people, and while perhaps not as effective as Sarin or C4, I get the impression that the lunatics who do this sort of thing get a visceral pleasure from it. And they generally do not get splashed with blood and guts as they might with a stabby thing.