Wait for it... Trump thought being president would be easier than his old life

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Apr 28, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Wait, so it's easier to criticize the government than actually run it? Some people just have to find out the hard way, luckily it doesn't affect the rest of the country. Oh wait again, it does? Well that sucks. He should have watched House of Cards before he started this.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Er, no. I think House of Cards probably gives him the wrong idea that government can be manipulated by corrupt politicians, even if the manipulation takes more work than Trump is actually willing to put in. The show that shows how government is actually supposed to work is the West Wing.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Clearly, one of the most stupid things this very stupid man has said.

Who knew?

Who knew?

5. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

So what you're saying is don't watch House of Cards on how to be president, I'll keep that in mind. ;)

But hey, did you know Frank actually was talking to Trump during the series?

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

LOL! I totally love Kevin Spacey, he has a GREAT sense of humor.

7. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

He is definitely awesome. The big question now is: would you want him to run for president? I mean, apparently he has all the qualifications being the star of a show on TV and all... And he's a better choice than Kanye West, you know, if Kanye still wants to give up his comfortable and private life that is. Maybe he changed his mind after this interview.

Jokes aside, I hope the American people have learned their lesson for the next election by choosing someone who actually knows how the system works. Or at least someone who... no I said jokes aside. :)

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

on the other side i just caught up with season 2 just a month ago and post- trump some storylines sure feel less outrageous now than they were intended ;)

9. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Just like a lot of thing, he just does not get it.

[​IMG]

10. SusanK macrumors 68000

11. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I still personally think he's an idiot. The fact that he's still going on about the 2016 election shows that he hasn't fully grasped the position he's in as POTUS. Then again if his dad wasn't who he was, who knows what Trump would be doing right now, probably have a chain of Car dealerships or some crap.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How would he ever have gotten a loan to start a dealership?

If it wasn't for daddy's money, no one would know the name Trump right now.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I've always gotten the sense that he thought it was easy being president. Now it's confirmed. I have pictured him sitting there going "Why aren't all these other Presidents getting these things completed?". Well, now you know what the rest of us knew all along. It's hard being President of the United States.

Welcome to the real world Mr. President. Apparently it took you 70 years to get there. Most of us arrive to that reality much sooner.

But hey, if you miss your old life, I'm sure the majority of the country would be happy to have you return to it. Mar a largo or New York, your choice...that's one final trip I won't mind paying for. :D

14. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Well as much as I don't like him I still do give him the benefit of the doubt. lol
    --- Post Merged, Apr 28, 2017 ---

It can perhaps be viewed that way, another way of viewing is that since he's so self consumed about his image and status, he hasn't been able to let go and move on from his victory. People who are egotistical tend to reflect on how great their accomplishments were/are.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Everything the man ever "accomplished" in his life was a direct result of this country's absurd money worship. If you/your family has wealth, doors open that never would be considered if you were some guy on the street. Once he had a cash injection from his father (time and time again) then he was able to bluster his way to where he's at. However, I don't think he'd ever be able to build up from nothing, his demeanor itself would have been in the way.

For an example of how things are different for the fabulously wealthy, Mellissa Mayer is about to make $168 million dollars for failing spectacularly. That really says it all regarding the two Americas.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I don't think it's an either/or choice. I think both views are true.

17. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I have said from the time he announced he was running that he a) just wanted to win the election because - winning and b) thinks that running a country is the same as running HIS business. Sadly - many of those that voted used that logic against his lack of experience in politics. Running the country is not the same as running his business. He can do pretty much whatever he wants with his company.

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

certainly daddy's money was useful, but getting people to loan him money is actually among the things that trump is good at......a necessary talent for a con man perhaps

19. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

He even said he was going to run it like he'd run a company didn't he? Was it fake news?

He has to work together with everyone under him instead of him being able to order them around.

That just doesn't work unless you would, say, replace everyone with your own family and friends.

Yes he actually did do that. (Okay not everyone YET)

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that there could be business people who can become good presidents, but they would have to know that running a government is different from running a business and prepare like hell, studying up on all the issues and forging connections in Washington you'd need to get things done. It was obvious from watching Trump during the election that he was doing none of these things.

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I agree. My comment was about Trump specifically. I was also careful to say HIS business vs A business for this reason.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It just depresses me that nearly half the people who voted in the election couldn't see that Trump was woefully unfit and unprepared to be President.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

None of which would have happened if he didn't already have family wealth/recognition/cosigning/bailing him out in his early days.

24. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

They saw. They didn't care. And actually voted specifically for that reason.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Which speaks to how thoroughly detached American policy has become from regular people's needs. They decided to blow up the system rather than pick another "nibble at the edges of reform" candidate from either party.