Wait for Tiger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by donnie3000, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. donnie3000 macrumors member

    Apr 20, 2004
    I'm on a tight budget, but obviously want to upgrade my OS as new technology comes along. What I was wondering was, will my eMac 700MHz be able to cope with Tiger, and any CoreImage technology (I know it is scalable) that comes with it.

    Basically, am I better off sticking with Jaguar until next year and getting Tiger, or should I just buy Panther now? I will only be buying Panther, or Tiger?

    Any thoughts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!


  2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a


    Feb 23, 2003
    Wait for Tiger.

    You've made it this long on without the benefits of Panther, you're better off waiting for Tiger, Panther only has 6+ months left in it.

    You won't get all the benefits of Tiger like Core Image etc. but it should be considerably faster than Jag for you, plus there'll be plenty of other new features like Dashboard.
  3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601


    Aug 9, 2002
    Apple said theyre gonna be slowing down their OS production pace, so right now Panther will probably last you about 9 months, but if you wait for Tiger, it will probably last you 2 years
  4. netytan macrumors 6502


    May 23, 2004
    Personally i think waiting is the worst idea on the planet ;). For anything not just Tiger, the fact is, Panther is an awesum OS and even when Tiger is released its still going to be around for a long time.

    Also note that the Tiger screenshots i've seen so far do not look good IMO. We'll just have to see how things turn out, but does anyone really want the hassel of dashboard? and whats with the blue blob around the apple in the top left here? anyone ;).

  5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

    Aug 9, 2000
    Yes, wait to purchase your licensed copy, and make it Tiger. I have upgraded every time a new OS has been released, and Panther is *by far* the best one. Its faster, cleaner, more responsive, etc. However, that alone won't justify spending that amount of money on it, for it to be "current" for such a short period of time. I'd wait, and save your money for Tiger.

    As for Tiger, that OS is up to a YEAR away. We have only seen a preview of some of the base technologies and features. The visual esthetics of it will change over the next year, I can almost guarantee it. Also, it will be filled out with more features, etc. Basically, I'm saying you shouldn't make your decision based on what Tiger "looks like" now.
  6. tveric macrumors 6502

    Jun 23, 2003
    I say download Panther off Carracho so that you can enjoy its benefits for the next 6 months (it's a quantum leap above Jaguar in my humble opinion) and then pay for Tiger when it comes out.

    Everybody wins!
  7. netytan macrumors 6502


    May 23, 2004
    Few, thanks for putting a newbies mind at rest :). Not that i would base the choice entirly on how it looks, but after putting up with Windows for years the blue blob just stinks of the 'start' menu.

    I asked this question in a previous thread, so i guess this can be disregarded now ;).

    Thanks again,


Share This Page