Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookMan217

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
Hi guys,

So I have a late 2009 MacBook (MacBook 6,1) and have had many parts replaced many times (display x3-4, bottom case, top housing, logic board x2, keyboard, battery, bluetooth board, bluetooth board to logic board cable, I think thats it), so the last time that I got it fixed, the genius told me to call AppleCare to see if they could do anything. So i called them, and I got put on with a senior advisor, and he told me that they can't replace a working computer, and basically to email or call him when it does end up breaking (as i still have a year on AppleCare) and he will just tell a store to give me a new computer. I then asked what computer I would be getting as the white macbook has been discontinued, and he said that it would be the 13" MacBook Pro (it has to be similar specs or better). so today multiple issues have started occurring, mostly with an external monitor. My question is should I try to wait the problems out, and tell apple about the problem when they release the new MacBook Pros? And if they would replace it with a new model if the old model was just updated, or just give me the old one?

Just as some more background info, but the computer that I currently have is also a replacement computer for a late 2007 White MacBook.

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:

MacBookMan217

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
That's some serious milk-the-system skill

Tell me about it, 4 months before my computer goes out of warranty, they give me a new computer. The same is going to happen now (I was 11 years old when I bought that computer)

/user/me

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Tell me about it, 4 months before my computer goes out of warranty, they give me a new computer. The same is going to happen now (I was 11 years old when I bought that computer)

Wow, you must have been really well off to buy it when you were only 11. :). Also, kinda jealous you could use the system like that.

MacBookMan217

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
Wow, you must have been really well off to buy it when you were only 11. :). Also, kinda jealous you could use the system like that.

I still don't understand how I managed to do it, but i did have some help :)
Sometimes I don't even feel that I used it, it just doesn't stop breaking, but I don't mind it as I have only bought one computer, and usually have too much time on my hands so i can get every little thing fixed:)

MacBookMan217

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
I have now talked further with AppleCare and customer relations.

Since I have had so many defective parts/repairs, they are going to replace my computer. i have a late 2009 MacBook and it will be replaced with a brand new MacBook pro (the base 13 inch model) but they can't replace a working computer, so the next confirmed hardware failure they will get me to ship my computer to them and ship me the new computer.

The girl that i talked to also said that i am able to upgrade the replacement computer by paying the difference e.g. from base 13 to better 13 inch i would just pay them $300

I am thinking of upgrading to a base 15 inch model ($600) any suggestions on this would be helpful but just to let you guys know.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
My question is should I try to milk them the best I can and tell apple about the problem when they release the new MacBook Pros so that I rip them even more? And if they would replace it with a new model if the old model was just updated, or just give me the old one? I want to make sure they don't give me less than I think I deserve

Fixed it for you.

If your old one is broken, get a new one. Be happy with what they give you as either is an upgrade. Be thankful they're doing that.

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
I must admit I find it kinda humorous when people say they are envious of his situation, sounds like the kid has had more trouble with his macbooks than the rest of apple's customers combined, hes lucky to get a "free" upgrade but sounds like he has endured alot of **** to get there.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I must admit I find it kinda humorous when people say they are envious of his situation, sounds like the kid has had more trouble with his macbooks than the rest of apple's customers combined, hes lucky to get a "free" upgrade but sounds like he has endured alot of **** to get there.

I don't think anyone woud begrudge him a new machine. It's the "Oh, I don't want an upgrade and get stuck with an "old" one when I might get a new one" mentality the OP is expressing.

Take whatever replacement and move on. Milking the system is just lame, and asking if we think he should milk it is even lamer.

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
I don't think anyone woud begrudge him a new machine. It's the "Oh, I don't want an upgrade and get stuck with an "old" one when I might get a new one" mentality the OP is expressing.

Take whatever replacement and move on. Milking the system is just lame, and asking if we think he should milk it is even lamer.

That I agree with but my interpretation of a few posts were that they were just envious about him getting a new and this new was an upgrade due to cancellation of his current product. Id rather not have such an exceptional amount of issues and skip the upgrades. Whats the fun with a computer you have to send in for repairs every month? :p

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I would ask them if they can send you a Lenovo Thinkpad T410 or T520 instead of a MBP. I'm surprised that after this string of failures, you are still willing to accept a MBP.

As for waiting for new models before asking for a reply: That's kind of greedy... but if someone would offer me a free MBP right now, I would also be thinking about how to postpone this "gift" for a few more weeks :)

Btw, did you consider checking the external monitor? Just saying ;)

MacBookMan217

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
I would ask them if they can send you a Lenovo Thinkpad T410 or T520 instead of a MBP. I'm surprised that after this string of failures, you are still willing to accept a MBP.

As for waiting for new models before asking for a reply: That's kind of greedy... but if someone would offer me a free MBP right now, I would also be thinking about how to postpone this "gift" for a few more weeks :)

Btw, did you consider checking the external monitor? Just saying ;)

I still like Apple products, if they just left it alone and didn't help me, i wouldn't have the same opinion.

And the same issue happens with another monitor and TV, so I don't think it's the monitor..

I have also thought about the whole waiting for new ones, and decided to wait until my computer has another issue, which has been happening in the last few days. I took it to the Apple store, they updated some case notes, the girl from apple called me, said that's what she needed. I upgraded to the base 15 inch MacBook Pro, and am now waiting for her "Administrative board" to call me and discuss further.

EDIT:
If you wanted to know, I have had 43 cases and 10 repairs on the Late 2009 MacBook alone.

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
By the sounds of things the 15" with extra ram and a SSD performs very well, so I hope youll find it satisfactory, good luck, sounds like you could need some. :p

MacBookMan217

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
By the sounds of things the 15" with extra ram and a SSD performs very well, so I hope youll find it satisfactory, good luck, sounds like you could need some. :p

I did upgrade my current computer from 2 to 8gb of ram, but I've never used an ssd

But the ram did wonders for my computer, it had trouble running lion with 2gb

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
I did upgrade my current computer from 2 to 8gb of ram, but I've never used an ssd

But the ram did wonders for my computer, it had trouble running lion with 2gb

The SSD means quicker write/read speeds and quicker accesstimes as far as Ive gathered. Alot people claim the performance boost to the everyday browsing is awesome. For games, it doesnt raise your fps, but loading times for example are vastly improved. :) 16Gb ram and SSD should make that laptop last for a nice long time, Thats my plan for the upcoming 15", an ssd and more ram for get the maximum lifetime (lifetime = how long I feel it performs adequately for my needs)

MacBookMan217

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
The SSD means quicker write/read speeds and quicker accesstimes as far as Ive gathered. Alot people claim the performance boost to the everyday browsing is awesome. For games, it doesnt raise your fps, but loading times for example are vastly improved. :) 16Gb ram and SSD should make that laptop last for a nice long time, Thats my plan for the upcoming 15", an ssd and more ram for get the maximum lifetime (lifetime = how long I feel it performs adequately for my needs)

I'm Probably going to get the 8 or 16gb Ram from OWC in the next few months, and maybe an SSD when they get a little cheaper.

And it will be interesting to see the differences in speed, right now I have a dual core 2.26 and an integrated 9400m, and the 15 inch has I7 2.2 quad (8T) and a graphics card :)

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
I'm Probably going to get the 8 or 16gb Ram from OWC in the next few months, and maybe an SSD when they get a little cheaper.

And it will be interesting to see the differences in speed, right now I have a dual core 2.26 and an integrated 9400m, and the 15 inch has I7 2.2 quad (8T) and a graphics card :)

You have the same 13" as me then, I read about some benchmark (geekbench?) that lists almost all editions there are, and that gave our laptop around 3500 points and the standard 15" inch got 9800, so thats not too far from 3 times as high, with some extra ram and a speedy drive the performance should be fine for a while. I believe mine works well for most things aside from games atm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.