Wait period before canceling verizon contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by catgo, Oct 11, 2012.

1. catgo macrumors member

Just purchased an on-contract iPhone 5 today after spending 10 days trying to find one at my local best buy and radioshack to purchase at the no-commitment price with no luck. Reserved one last night at apple.com and was able to pickup today.

Opted fot the $199.00 16GB version and I'm ready to pay the $350 ETF verizon charges. I wanted to know if I can do this right away or if I have to wait for the first billing cycle to end?

Anyone has any experience with these timeframes?

Thanks!

2. PeterTran macrumors member

i wonder if i can do this with att but then they wont have the iphone unlocked:/

3. Cebuano1976 macrumors regular

ETF + Device Difference

Talked to an AT&T rep and told me that aside from paying the ETF after 14 days, you must also pay the difference of the device. Example, you paid $199 for a 16GB, you must pay an additional $449 or so for the device.

199 + 325 + 449 = overpay!

4. catgo thread starter macrumors member

Wow...I've never heard of this before...is this standard practice?

5. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Wow. If that's true, that's their way of sticking it to ya! lol

6. catgo thread starter macrumors member

Definitely, I've seen other threads about this, sometimes you have to pay your first month usage but I've never heard about having to pay for the device difference + the ETF!

7. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I could understand the first month usage, but the difference + the ETF is criminal :eek:

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I think you found an idiot rep. You either have to pay full price for the phone, or the ETF, which is to recover the price of the phone.

Not both.

What an idiot.

9. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

With Verizon there is no wait period. It is in your best interest to do it as soon as possible. You have to pay for the service that you use so if you cancel it after 1 day you only have to pay for 1 day of service. Keep in mind Verizon will stick it to you if you try to open an account with them again soon.

10. smitty303 macrumors member

I also talked to an AT&T rep online, and explicitly asked questions about this exact situation. She said all you would pay is the ETF plus the first months bill. So, when I pointed out that doing that was less cost than the no committment price, she said that AT&T is aware but it is allowed. I also confirmed with her that I could get the phone unlocked at the same time.

I also think you got a bad rep who either didn't know and made it up, or lied to discourage you from doing it. Some people are like that.

11. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Nope, wrong. Verizon mentioned to me that I pay the ETF only and nothing more. I lose the phone number and get another for the iPhone.

12. pcomac macrumors regular

Wait... So I can just sign up to get the iPhone and then pay the EFC and I don't have to pay for the first month?

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't know about today but this was the case 10 + years ago. I had two lines with LA Cellular and cancelled one within 90 days. I paid the remaining bill and thought it was fine. Collection calls began (bills went to parents') and suddenly they were demanding payment IAO $749 for the device fee. I did not pay a dime for the actual phone in the first place. I never paid them, I could not find where it said in my contract that I was to repay for the off-contract price if I did an ETF. I felt by paying my bill and ETF I did what I was supposed to.

I am curious if that is the case today. If not, why not just buy the phone, pay the ETF and get the hell out of there. Unless you really lose your #.
    How come you lose the #? The numbers port now, no?

14. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Always consider the source. Relying on the word of one rep (regardless of the carrier) isn't good practice.

15. pcomac macrumors regular

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Well, at the risk of sounding like I'm defending Verizon (definitely not my intention), a contract was agreed to, and the contract stipulated the EFT.

It may suck, but no one is forced to agree to the contract.:)

17. SR45, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

This will not make sense, but here goes..... I did not go this route

Not for me it could not be done that easy as Verizon told me. After paying the ETF, I would lose my number no matter what, and they would issue another new phone number. Did not make sense to me.

If I wanted to keep my old phone number, and have it ported, I could buy the phone out right unlocked, take my old/new phone to AT&T first for example, they would port the old number to that new phone, start a new service. I would than pay the ETF for Verizon, but now I would still have my old phone number to the iphone. Got it thus far guys? Now I would cancel the AT&T service within the 14 days, pay any restocking fee's, and go back to Verizon, and start a new month to month contract, with the new phone and ported number.

This did not make an logical sense but this was told to me by two Verizon reps. :confused:

Better way....

There is another way using the shared program, and porting the number from the old phone to the new one (new subsidize) later. I could later cancel the other phone, which was a flip phone, and pay the ETF for it. Another rep informed me of this and that made more sense than the first two reps suggestion. Boy, did I have fun with the first suggestions. If anyone just wants to get out of a contract not caring about losing ones phone number and getting a new one, than just pay the ETF to that original phone, and get a new contract with the iphone 5. Some don't mind telling their friends of the new number and others do....