Wait...so raising the minimum wage didn't destroy jobs?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samiwas, Sep 18, 2014.

1. samiwas Suspended

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/09/14/15-now-seatac/

Obviously, a bit of bias from this site, but let's discuss what's going on up there. Is there more to this story that we're not seeing?

9 months in, and it doesn't seem like the city has shut down.

Seattle Times

Obviously, as with any big change, there will be a few casualties. That's to be expected. But if it brings about a total greater good, wouldn't it be worth it?

Now, I'm not suggesting everywhere go to $15 as a minimum wage. I think that's a pretty big hike to make all at once. I also realize that this was a fairly small area. But that brings up an interesting point: SeaTac did a massive, and immediate increase to their minimum wage, and there was no big negative impact. So, why would incremental smaller increases cause devastation in the rest of the country?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. samiwas thread starter Suspended

Erm...your link is over three years old and is about Europe. And your link also talks about McDonalds hiring 62,000 people in the US.

Also, I posted a second link which had quotes from some of the same businesses.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

can be making its way to the U.S. , plenty of automated/self check out registers already in plenty of businesses.

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yay a minimum wage thread! It's been a while since we've hashed it out over the minimum wage:)

Seattle is proving it is not the Armageddon that it is made out to be. I have seen reports that some employees that used to be fed or receive free parking from their employer have lost those benefits. I think at the end of the day, they would rather have more money in their pocket to keep the lights on and the bills paid. They can carpool, or carry a ham sandwich to work.

6. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Raising the minimum wage always results in a higher standard of living and a better economy.

Get ready for the onslaught of obfuspeak and non-sense from the Corporate apologists and brain-washed luddites.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I guess all the fast food joints in Seattle now use kiosks for customer ordering. ;)

8. samiwas thread starter Suspended

Just wait for my next one. We're going to delve into whether guns should be carried or not. Groundbreaking stuff...

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Since money is the lubricant of any economy, the minimum wage ensures more money is injected into an economy which should be a net benefit. If you are a small business, however, you may have to make adjustments in your number of employees. That can result in job loss for small, mom & pop types of enterprises. Even business owners deserve a living wage.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

hope there is another one making my order so I dont have to return it :p

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Won't have me as a customer.

When Home Depot went all self-checkout by me, I walked up to scanner, lady asked if I needed help, I said no but I want a 10% discount for checking myself out. She called manager, he said no. I left my items there and went to Lowes a mile away. Haven't been back to Home Depot since.

12. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

There have been many jobs that have disappeared over the years... For example, when you went into a gas station a few decades ago their employees pumped the gas for you while another guy washed your windscreen and checked your oil -- in most big gas stations now though you have to pump the gas yourself, and in some places there are no employees on-site at all.

Another job that's going is packers in supermarkets. It used to be standard practise in supermarkets to have people pack your shopping for you, and sometimes even take it out to your car -- but now many supermarkets that want to remain low-cost are having to eliminate the packers and make their customers pack themselves.

Then there's ushers in movie theatres -- we don't see those anymore... and the list goes on. It's more of a gradual thing though, rather than seeing all of those jobs vanish overnight. And I can't think of many reasons why these services aren't provided anymore other than having to pay that kid $10-15 an hour for washing windscreens...

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The advantage of automated checkouts is that for basket only shops they offer better service than you ever got at the basket only checkout.

For big shops I always queue for a person.

14. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Lots of people in Seattle don't even eat fast food, they're a bit above that. Not saying you don't see fast food places, but the times Ive been there, they are almost on existent.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would love to see Starbucks try this. They are in Seattle right?

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Wow! You really showed them.
    They were seriously out to spite you. Not merely using the tools passed down and mandated by their corporate bosses. Nope, they were spiting you specifically. You did good giving those piss-ons more cleanup restocking work.
    :golfclap:

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What should you do in that circumstance?

18. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Yeah, if you're going into a supermarket to get one or two things then the kiosks are much better than people. It's when you have a whole bunch of stuff that they are a pain.

19. zin macrumors 6502

Well, I can see his point.

You are receiving less service than customers who use the normal checkout lanes. Why should he pay more for less customer service?

Come to think of it, that's a great idea. I'd have no issue using self-checkout kiosks in many places if they offered a discount for the reduced service they are offering.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You may like companies you spend money at to **** all over you but I don't. When you don't like the policies of a company, you stop giving them money. Sorry you can't understand that.

As a bonus, since I haven't shopped there in 4 years, my credit cards were not part of their massive security breach.

21. Menel, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes.
    But to childishly take it out and dump extra work on the grunts who have no control such policy... Is just a tempertantrum.

If he was an adult, he would have put his crap,back where he got it himself, and written a letter to corporate/feedback on website.

22. samiwas thread starter Suspended

And that will be the last time I go to that store.

Believe it or not, there are many people out there who actually want to interact with people throughout the day, not just deal with machines. I sit in front of a computer all day at work, when I'm not partaking of the snack table. I don't then want to use a computer to order food and a computer to check my groceries, and then pack them myself. I want to talk to people and have pleasant interaction. If there were gas stations still with guys pumping gas, I would go to them. What a great service that would be!

Yes, but if you make more work, it becomes more noticed. I say stick to people/companies who try to screw you. It's the only way they'll change.

It's like the women who go back to the men who abuse them. It doesn't stop the abuse.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe it's the fact that I'm lazy, or maybe it's the fact that I actually was a grocery bagger for a year when I was 16 and hated every second of it, but I will not go to a grocery store where I have to bag my own groceries.

Sure, if I have a couple items and there's no line at self checkout, I'll use that just to get out of there quickly, but if I have a cart full of stuff, I absolutely expect to have someone else bag it for me.

There's a grocery store chain here called Shop 'N Save where you bag your own groceries and their prices are supposedly lower than their full service competitors, I haven't been in one to verify. And that's fine. If I'm doing their job I expect to pay less. But if the usual chain I shopped at got rid of baggers, I'd find a new store.

24. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

As labor costs go up, companies are faced with the option of increasing revenue, this is usually done with a price increase or decreasing expenses, the self checkouts are an example of this. You just have to ask yourself are your willing to pay higher prices or use self checkouts.

Wait until someone thinks of a checkout fee for those that don't want to use the self checkout.

25. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Or, you know, profits could go down.

P-Worm