Wait so there's no way to adjust iMessage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Johnny Steps, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Like sometimes I might use iMessage on my iPad while in class to text my girlfriend. But most, if not all of the time, I'll use my iPhone and my cell number for texting. There's no way for iMessage to know which one you're using? I keep getting notifications on all my devices... -_-

2. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

It's an unintended feature, not a defect.

iMessage is telling you that you should put the devices away and focus on your studies. It's informing you that your girlfriend can wait until school's out. It's trying to help you in your education by not performing according to your expectations.

3. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

When you read an iMessage in one device, it goes away in the other device. And when you start using one device it stops going to the other device., At least thats my experience.

4. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

I have both iPhone and iPad. When someone send an iMessae to my phone number, obviously it will go to the phone only. But when that person send it to my apple ID or email address that's associated on both iPad and iPhone, our conversation will appear on both devices.

Since iPhone is your main device, I'd suggest to create another email for your iPad for iMessage and delete the old email. That way, when someone iMessage you, it won't be sent to 2 devices.

5. astral125 macrumors 6502

6. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I forgot to say I have iOS 6 so my phone # is synced across my devices plus my mac. When somebody send me an iMessage to my iPhone using my phone # I get it everywhere. But when I read it, say in the iPhone, the notifications go away in the iPad + Mac.

7. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

One of the features of iOS 6 is phone number integration with your apple ID so messages sent to your phone number will come to your iPhone and iPad if you want. 10.8.2 also enables this for iMessage

8. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Ah, I see. Didn't know that. I'm still on 5.1.1 :D
    I'll be looking forward to Sept 19 when apple finally release iOS 6.

9. volzalum macrumors member

If you don't want it to do this then change the receive at addresses in settings for iMessage