Wait wha?! Pirates Pirate Pirates of Caribbean 5?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JayMysterio, May 15, 2017.

1. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/15/15644352/pirates-caribbean-5-hackers-demand-ransom-disney

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

This kind of thing is getting way out of hand. Time for some hackers to have a very high profile trial with jail time to send a message to the rest of the criminals in the world.

3. Zedcars macrumors 6502

Zedcars

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Maybe they were just being ironic in that they pirated a pirate movie. :D

5. chown33 macrumors 604

That's not irony, it's aaarrrrony.

6. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Clearly the franchise makes money.

7. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Release Date/Movie ProductionBudget /DomesticOpeningWeekend /DomesticBox Office/WorldwideBox Office
    Jul 9, 2003 Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl $125,000,000 $46,630,690 $305,411,224 $634,954,103
    Jul 7, 2006 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest $225,000,000 $135,634,554 $423,315,812 $1,066,215,812
    May 24, 2007 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End $300,000,000 $114,732,820 $309,420,425 $963,420,425
    May 20, 2011 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides $250,000,000 $90,151,958 $241,063,875 $1,045,663,875 Play
    May 26, 2017 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales $0 $0 Play

Totals $900,000,000 $1,279,211,336 $3,710,254,215
    Averages $225,000,000 $96,787,506 $319,802,834 $927,563,554

Yeah, it's made a few dollars.

8. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

The studio shouldn't pay.
    • Releasing early pre-viz footage stolen from a VFX house isn't going to crash ticket sales.
    • The movie will be pirated anyway, like all movies are.
    • Paying the pirates literally funds the next attack.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea....no.

These kinds of hackers are the 4chan dwelling living trolls that have found ways to monetize their "fun". Deterrence doesn't work on people who's entire personality are the living embodiment of "**** you, I do it for the lulz".

10. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The movie is being released in 10 days, so it's very possible they have snagged the finished version.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

This happened before with the Expendables 3. Setting aside the merits of the movie, I think it's clear that having a stolen copy released early on piracy websites did significantly affect ticket sales.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/expendables-3-flops-is-piracy-to-blame-1201284859/

I think they should pay, and then they should encrypt everything all the time. And companies should lobby congress to pass laws making it easier for companies and private citizens to encrypt everything all the time.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Summer is coming up and parents will be bringing their kids to see it regardless. Let them leak it out. Free advertising. The LOL part is there are always bootleg copies floating around various sites for just about every movie so threatening them the studio isn't much of a threat. Within a week of release there are going to be a number of sites selling HD Version of it for $5 anyway. Been going on for years.

What the Movie Studios should do is embed a virus of their own in the next upcoming movie, let the hackers steal it and infect themselves.

13. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'm sure they will change their tune when they fear that many of the lulz they will have in prison will be them getting *****d by the rest of the cell block.

Hacking for the lulz is one thing, hacking for extorting is quite another.

14. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I guess I'm unwilling to set that aside. This is like saying if you set aside all the sugar and fat, Apple pie is excellent diet food.

Also, for any article that ends in a question mark, the answer is almost always "no".

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why don't these studios have better security protocols in place.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Again, throwing one guy in prison is never going to send a message to these people. Deterrence simply will not work in that culture, the entire hacker culture is built around finding ways around authority in the first place.

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I wasn't a fan of the franchise, and frankly through Expendables 1 and 2 were pretty awful. However, the franchise clearly made enough money on the first two to warrant making a third. Hollywood is pretty risk averse, we all know that, so I'm confident that people smarter than us crunched the risks and odds and thought the movie would make money.

I do not think there is any evidence to support the assertion that the leak didn't negatively affect how the movie did. At a minimum, even if the movie was destined to be a flop, the fact that everyone knew how bad it was before opening weekend certainly hurt it's revenue as fans of the franchise who would have seen it in theaters regardless of reviews instead watched it on their computers a week early.

18. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I can definitely get on board with that! A pre-release leak could show everyone that a garbage movie is garbage.

But the flip side to that is a pre-release leak could lead to additional buzz if it is fantastic. In other words, "this DVD-quality rip with incomplete VFX was awesome, I can't wait to see the real thing on the big screen". For example, let's look at a list of major Hollywood-studio movies that had pre-release leaks:

Movies with pre-release leaks that did very, very well:
    • Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    • The Avengers (The Disney/Marvel one)
    • Ratatouille
    • X-Men Wolverine
    Movies with pre-release leaks that did poorly:
    • Expendables 3
    • Hostel, Part II
    • Soul Plane
    The pattern I see here is that the first list are decent movies, and the second list is garbage. So in my opinion, blaming piracy for a movie's failure is missing the much bigger, obvious reason.

To be clear, I never said there would be no negative affect at all. Of course there is--if even one person doesn't buy a ticket, that's a negative affect. But what I said is that the piracy wouldn't cause sales to crash. There will be some effect, but PotC5 will succeed or crash on its own merit, just like the other movies listed above.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah, I don't think that's true. I think after a few high profile cases happen, some people will start having second thoughts.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well, good luck with that. Not sure why some twenty something from another country is going to give a damn if they happen to catch and prosecute someone in the USA.

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Why do you assume that only people from the USA get prosecuted for something? It depends what country the hacker is in. And sure the ones where countries don't have much of a legal system or don't care, sure. My statement wasn't about those countries. It was about the ones that will do something about the problem.

22. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I saw the first one but #2 was a big pile of pooh. I didn't even know there were 3 further sequels!

23. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I want to say a bizarre followup, others might call it an interesting followup...

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/0...tes-5-biggest-opening-weekend-history-russia/

"Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales has set an international record as the weekend estimates (Friday to Sunday) are rolling in. With $18.1 million, the movie had the biggest opening weekend ever in the country of Russia, according to state sponsored media and the Exhibitor Relations twitter account. The movie underperformed in the U.S., earning just $62 million so far, below both its early projections and the $90 million opening of the previous installment in the franchise, but it’s hugely popular overseas, with the Chinese box office take already beating the U.S. one at $67 million.

This isn’t fake news! Despite common sense dictating these box office totals are some kind of cyber attack by the U.S. to get revenge on the Russians for inflicting Donald Trump’s presidency on us by interfering in our election, the record-breaking total isn’t the result espionage orchestrated by moose and squirrel. Rather, it seems that zombie sharks and monkeys, along with the fact that that Johnny Depp is somehow legitimately a cinematic sensation in Russia in 2017, carried Pirates 5 to global victory.

The movie has likely already earned back its entire $230 million budget, with interest, just from the current international take alone, so despite the underwhelming domestic performance, we can probably expect a sixth installment in the long-running franchise, and maybe this one will feature a cameo from a star geared more toward its new target audience:
    "

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

But they keep saying this is the final journey. Well actually I also heard them say that it's the beginning of the final journey too, so who knows? I do find it a bit odd that Depp is so willing to keep playing this same character over and over again. That's not something I would expect from him as he's always seemed the complete opposite of someone to stick with one role like that for so long. He must really like the character.

He certainly is having fun with it as this video shows:

Wish I had been there that day!