WAIT! What the is going on?! Walmart, body armor, bullets, and another attempted shooting?!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JayMysterio, Aug 9, 2019.

1. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Did I miss this posted elsewhere or I am confusing this with something else because I am becoming sadly more numb to this crap?!

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...an-Missouri-Walmart-528861691.html?akmobile=o

What the bloody :mad:?!!!

The observations of a random white guy that made 45 unblock him on Twitter

2. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

My bad. Seems he just wanted to cause chaos. :mad::mad::mad:

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/09/7497...ed-after-causing-panic-at-walmart-in-missouri
    Who the :mad: thinks this is a good idea? Especially after seeing what happened in Times Square. Terror isn't funny.

3. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Ah.

That is some serious ( not to trigger ) privilege & stupidity in action there.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

he applied for a Darwin award and sadly was denied........

5. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

A while back, I posted about my thoughts on the gun control debate, which people on both sides of the issue didn't agree with me, but I think it light of recent shootings, or potential shootings, I will post it again.

I believe in the 2nd amendment rights, but I think there should be some limits, one being age.

I think the age to purchase firearms and ammunition should be raised to 25.

The human brain typically is not fully developed until the age of 25, and the last part of the brain to develop is the prefrontal cortex.

The prefrontal cortex is the part of the brain that is responsible for rational thought and is used for logical decision making and good judgement.

Humans that are under 25 years old tend to process information with the amygdala, which is the part of the brain responsible for emotion.

To put this in context, when people get intoxicated on alcohol, the first area of the brain affected is the prefrontal cortex, which is why drunk people tend to not make rational decisions, but they can react very emotionally to things.

Arguments against this are usually stuff like:

This will not stop gun violence!
    or
    If you think people under 25 shouldn't be able to purchase a firearm, what about the military?
    or
    Why do you think people under 25 can drive cars and vote, but not purchase a firearm?

For not stopping gun violence, raising the age to purchase to 25 will not stop all gun violence, or maybe even most, but it might save some lives.

There will always be violence, but maybe some of these mass shootings, and gun violence in general could be prevented by not giving the ability for the physiology equivalent of a perpetually drunk person to purchase a firearm.

For the military question, maybe it is because I served in the military, but I think this one is just silly. There is a huge difference between someone under 25 that is serving in the military and a civilian under 25. I went into great detail in another thread about this, but I will sum it up with structure, support, training, and discipline.

As for the question about voting, driving cars, but not firearms, I think that the ages of these things should be looked at too.

The age of voting should be increased to 25 for the same reasons that they should increase the age of purchasing a firearm, because people's ability to make rational decisions is impaired due to little fault of their own, but mostly to their physiology.

I think that the driving age should be increase to age of 18 or maybe 21. While there is a concern about not thinking rationally while driving, there is a difference because there is typically structured training when it comes to learning to drive, and it is also a learned skill that takes a while to become proficient at it, it this should be done earlier. When it comes to purchasing a firearm, I don't think there anywhere close to the requirements there is driving a car.

Anyways, it won't stop all gun violence, but if the age was already increased 10 years ago, think of how many lives this may have saved.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

It's my belief that we will see this more often. It seems that the latest string of high profile shooters (Parkland, El Paso etc.) have changed their strategy from being confrontative when police arrives to surrender immediately. I fear that they realized that no matter how awful the action, they can have thousands of actual fans and at least some attention from the entire world. It's messed up if you asked me. The El Paso shooter will sit in jail for the rest of his life knowing that he affected the political and social landscape; for losers like him, this is a big win.

7. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Perhaps if such individuals were made aware of the risks & celebrity hood they will bestow upon another inmate, it might discourage such behavior...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jailhouse-fight-dylann-roof-leads-fame-future-n629576

Dwayne Stafford was likely on his way to being just another throw away, a product of South Carolina’s notoriously deficient foster care system that churns out troubled children like a meat grinder.

Between the ages of 3 and 18 he’d cycled through more than a dozen foster homes. He fought with family and neighbors and struggled with the trauma of instability. At 21, he started to rack up summonses, arrests and jail time. At 25 he’s facing strong armed robbery and assault and battery charges for a crime he says he didn't commit.

According to Stafford’s lawyer, Stafford is accused of roughing up and robbing someone outside of a gas station he frequented. No one was seriously hurt, but the incident landed Stafford in the county jail, where he served 571 days while awaiting trial before finally being bonded out earlier this month.

But despite his rocky, winding path through the foster care and criminal justice systems, Stafford sees a bit of hope on the horizon, thanks to a twist of fate and a jailhouse fight with a mass-murderer.

If Stafford’s name doesn’t ring a bell, he’s the black guy who snuck out of his cell last week and beat up a fellow inmate, Dylann Roof, the 21-year-old white supremacist charged with killing nine parishioners at the historic Emanuel A.M.E. Church in Charleston, South Carolina.

“I wouldn’t say it's justice, but I felt as if I did the right thing,” Stafford said in an interview on Friday, his first with national news media.

He may not call it justice, but others might...

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I might not call it justice, but heck... good karma will touch Mr. Stafford! Thanks for the happy news.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

does he have a go fund me page so he can get back on his feet?