Wait, Who is the new President of the NRA?!?!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, May 7, 2018.

1. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Oliver North!

This is great! I hear he can get us a great deal on some 1980's vintage shoulder fire missiles and some RPG's...

Even the irony isn't lost on me...

2. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

3. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

I made it even easier for you to read....

4. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

I guess no one remembers what he was accused/convicted/pardoned of...

5. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Oliver Sir, I’ll take 3 of each. #wtfisgoingonnra He is a good speaker though. I give him that.

6. Zenithal macrumors 604

Terrible individual. Should have rotted in a cell.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Ollie "Iran-Contra" North

None of his Bosses could recall anything about that..

Hopefully the old jar head can give Wayne chock full o'nuts a thump on the head every time he says something stupid

8. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

The NRA is now run by a man that literally committed treason. Let that sink in.

9. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I cannot think of a better person.

10. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I mean, it's fitting right?

The odd thing about the age of Trump is that all of these institutions facades are just crumbling. American foreign policy is now no longer hidden behind a competent face, the NRA has decided to just go full on crazy, ICE is clearly operating like a brownshirt organization (because there are literal nazis in it), etc.

There's a reckoning brewing.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

North came to national prominence in the Iran-Contra affair, in which the U.S. illegally sold weapons to Iran—violating an arms embargo—then funneled the proceeds to the Contras, who were fighting Ortega’s left-wing government. North, a Vietnam veteran, was then a lieutenant colonel serving on the National Security Council. He was charged with various felonies related to Iran-Contra and convicted of three.

The New York Times
    editorial board tartly panned his verdict: “Oliver North won’t go to prison even though he lied to Congress, shredded White House documents and accepted a $14,000 security fence from an Iran-contra arms profiteer.” As it turned out, North’s convictions were reversed and vacated altogether because a judge ruled that the prosecution had used testimony North offered Congress under an immunity agreement.

In 1994, North ran for U.S. Senate in Virginia, where he proved a formidable fundraiser but a divisive candidate, and lost to incumbent Chuck Robb, helped by a third-party candidate who was endorsed by Senator John Warner, a Republican. Since then, he’s been active in conservative activist circles.

The Atlantic

12. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

...so in the NRA picking North as the lead does that mean they are going south?

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Wait, Who is the new President of the NRA?!?!

A failed covert operative who was implicated in criminal behavior (ironically given recent events, selling arms to Iran, but who had his conviction overturned with the help of the ACLU). Perfect.

14. lostngone, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018

lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

Is treason classified as a felony?
    --- Post Merged, May 9, 2018 ---
    Well, Iran is more easterly but Nicaragua is southerly so lets split the difference between the two and say they are going Southeast?

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Wow.

16. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

??? I am just making sure he can legally own a firearm... :D

17. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Ollie is right up there in the bad ass category with John Wayne and Charleton Heston. Not many of those left. Everyone has gone full *****.

The left is going to have a meltdown.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Defending treason. The only offence that still carries the death penalty in Britain.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Technically, what North did was not literally treason, as such. We were not at war with Iran at the time that he was selling them the weapons. He was convicted on several felony counts, but the conviction was dismissed because of impropriety on the part of the prosecution. And even so, felons can eventually get their full citizenship rights back (it has been a lot of intervening years).

But even so, if he was a felon, based on how he handled the Iran sales, it seems likely that he could obtain firearms through an intermediary – and the NRA would probably be OK with that, because he is not black or mexican.

20. daflake macrumors 6502a

Just another reason why, as a firearm owner and Pro 2A person, the NRA doesn't speak for me. I will not be a member of an organization that can't even see the irony of what they just did by allowing this.

21. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

Agreed they are way too liberal and willing to make deals when it comes to our Rights.

22. daflake macrumors 6502a

I was going to go with plain ol off the ****ing rails.... But hey, whatever works for you.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, it didn’t take long for the bat**** to start leaking out of Ollie’s head.

24. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

... and the right wouldn't have a problem with a man who sold weapons to an unfriendly Muslim state to fund a group of terrorists that were committing human rights violations?