Waited in line, didn't get one! Shipping up to Oct 19th

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fontane, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

I went to the Springfield Verizon at 0715 this morning and was about #20 in line. I was sure I would get one. They started letting us in a few at a time at 0800. I got in around 0815 and requested the black 16gb. None in stock. Only 16gb was the white. Not interested. Requested the black 32gb. None in stock. Only black in stock was 64gb. I don't have nearly the data to use 32gb, let alone 64gb, so I passed. They did not want to let me leave. Insisted I order with them to secure my "slot." But they told me shipping was around October 19th. I don't need the new iphone that bad.

2. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear...why didn't you give white a chance? It's pretty elegant.

3. Purplecks macrumors newbie

dude u should have got the 64gb. with lte. you are going to be DL a lot (apps songs movies), and with the new screen size your videos and photos will be larger

4. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, the white looks nice, but I just wasn't willing to spend so much money on something I wasn't feeling 100%.

I don't put my own music on my phone because I use Spotify. And I rarely use movies on the phone too because I have a Macbook Air and new Ipad for that sort of thing. 16GB is really the only way for me to. Anything more is just a waste of money and can be used toward other electronics or toys.

5. samuelelbaz macrumors member

That really sucks, I would have looked into getting the white especially since everyone having issues with the black. Strange they had so few in stock.

6. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Think about it this way: how much do you make per hour at your job? How much will you spend in gas per month getting there? In other words, how much is your time worth?

You spend time on here researching, spent the time to drive there, spent an hour in line and then spent the time to post here and yet, you let $100 be the catalyst of wasting all of that time...?....odd dude, very odd.

Add to this that you don't know what is around the corner in terms of what might require space, in terms of your own specific needs and interesting if not incredible new platforms of use of this device that might require 3-6GB and you just passed on what I feel is the only size anyone should be looking at with a smart phone~the largest one...this baffles me.

But I understand I guess to a degree, you referred to electronics as toys while some of us use them as tools, get to also write them off not to mention have jobs that pay us anywhere from 2-4 64GB iPhones per day....it's all relative I guess.

You might wonder why I posted what I did, easy, you posted what you did...

7. jaysen macrumors 6502

Hahahha this reminds me of the Indian customer service reps from Sprint who would try very hard to explain and justify the evo 4g $10 premium data charge...

"you've got a fast 1ghz processor so you will be doing more things faster and with a 4" screen you'll be watching more videos"

8. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Who is everyone?

9. bearsbears macrumors member

But rationally the cost of his time/effort is already sunk cost at that point; he can't recover it either way so it shouldn't factor into his decision making at the margin - ie. deciding whether to spend the extra $100.

10. SlyMac macrumors 6502

Man, that sucks. The Verizon store I went to had plenty to go around. I was going to get the 16gb but switched to the 32 at the last minute in black. Figured I'd be more likely to have videos on this one with the bigger screen.

----------

I agree, at that point in the game, it's lost time either way.

11. Zauberer macrumors regular

I'm not desperate for a new iPhone, and prefer an in-store purchase. When do you think I'll be able to go to walk into the store and get one? I know online orders are pushed back about 3 weeks, is it the same for stores too?

12. bearsbears macrumors member

You could stop by a store next week and they'll put your name on a list, then notify you when a phone is available for you. In my experience (with the 4) this was still faster than preordering. I got mine about a week after launch.

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

So you wanted to buy the most popular model (black 16GB) and went 45 minutes prior to the store opening up? ...

14. pbrooks macrumors regular

pbrooks

The phone came out today. Barely anyone HAS the phone, let alone have "problems with the black." Where do you get this *****? :mad:

15. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I just called my local Verizon store and they just told me they had some! I'm sitting here at the doctor office waiting and hoping they hurry up!!! I preordered am iPhone 5 but won't get it until the 26th. I'm too impatient to wait until then. Hope i can get one today! Also if i do, i hope i can cancel my order since they haven't charged me yet.

16. Nurse Jill macrumors member

Nurse Jill

i showed up to my verizon at about 745am... i was 10th in line. was able to get my 32GB black... i guess it all depends on where you live :(

17. leenak macrumors 68020

Do the Verizon stores have accessories? I'm looking for the USB cable. I'm thinking of going to Best Buy/Verizon after my conference calls today to see if I can get a cable and possibly see what cases they have.

18. Boiler macrumors regular

You are technically right (love economics opportunity cost) and the $100 guy argument is very logical

I have to admit that HOURS of my time and DAYS or WEEKS without the phone I want are worth a lot more than $200 difference between 16gb b/white and 64gb black.

It's not like a 64 will resell for $0 more than a 16gb iphone 5 in a year.
    So let's say the resale value is $50 more, and the convenience of storage of movies and music and saving traveling, uncertain purchase/delivery time opportunities

For a working college grad those conveniences should be worth $100 on average I'd guess

19. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

My job recently ended (contract was up) and I was at a good point in my corporate career to take off some time to travel the world and do some things I wasn't able to do when I was a bit younger and out of college. When I was working and making a lot of money, I would have bought the phone and paid $800 for retail no problem, but now it's a different story. I just upgraded last December so my current phone is still fine. This was just a want and not a need. It would be nice to have the international capability to use sims in other countries, but I have some backup options to look into.

Appreciate your comment. You're only presenting another side and other sides of situations are important because they help others make their decisions. I'll call around today and see if I can find one and maybe will jump on it if I do. But right now I'm not willing to spend the extra money on a purchase that is already crossing the line for me. Cheers.

----------

There were only 20 people in front of me and I didn't hear one other person talk about the 16gb. 32gb and 64gb seemed to be the biggest demand.

So, yea, I wanted what you call the most popular model and went 45 minutes before the store opened.

20. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

21. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

Quick update: I lucked out and found a verizon store that still had stock, so I went and got the black 16gb. Now it's time to determine whether this upgrade over my droid razr was in fact worth it!