waiting for g4 1.2 ...

silv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2002
19
0
i want to buy myself a new power-mac... soon... or better: now.
should i wait for 1.2 / 1.4 GHz processors? is it worth waiting?
should i better wait? how long?
 

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
1,781
0
Europe
I would have thought 1.2ghz Macs will be released at MWNY or just after (like MWSF) I personally would not wait, because if you wait then when they come out you may decide to wait again, until G5s are released and its just an on going wait.

I would buy now unless somebody has very strong evidence that 1.2s (I am pretty sure) will come out at MWNY.

Ensign
 

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
2,139
0
Buffy's bedroom
IMHO, wait until MWNY. If nothing new comes out, which I believe is highly unlikely, buy an existing system. If something new comes out, buy it. I think it's worth the wait until MWNY because from the rumors around the place indicate that we will see big performance boosts, even if we don't see big MHz boosts.
 

thedude

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2001
53
0
1.2-1.4

Waiting is probably a good idea, just in case...

There has been a lot of talk about either g4 1-1.4 or (wishfull thinking) g5. I was thinking, what if it's BOTH?

I remember reading a thread a while ago that mentioned the posibility of having a g4 and g5 tower at the same time because of cost restrictions that the g5 poses. Well, what if the rumors of a 1 to 1.4 ghz g4 AND those of a 1.2-1.6ghz g5 are true.

It would make some sense...Have a g4 based low end workstation...

1ghz single proc - $1500
1.2 ghz single proc - $2199
1.4 dual proc - $2999

and a couple of higher end O2 killers

1.4ghz (dual?) g5 - $3999
1.6ghz (dual?) g5 - $4999

Oh, and while I'm at it, use the Xserve naming convention for the pro line...

X-Box...:D

maybe Xstation or something....

Whaddaya think?
 

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
1,393
0
Sydney, Australia
In general, unless there's going to be a definite update in the close future, it's better to buy straight away so you get more use out of the computer before you feel it needs upgrading again..
 

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
287
0
Detroit
wait u will be much happier because the MWNY PowerMac will support DDR ram most likely and will have a much needed Mobo upgrade like the Xserve
Myself I'm holding out w/ this G3233 until the 1st. or second rev. G5/Next Gen. chip because the mobo will be updated even more to allow for some really nice stuff.
See this link http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC8540&nodeId=03M943030450467M98655
we may buy a 500mhz G3 powerbook thats used until then just so we can use newer apps.
 

silv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2002
19
0
thanks!

thanks!
i think i wait for mwny and then i'll see...

btw - g5: if it is a 64bit cpu - where is osX-64? and all the new 64bit programs?
cause if there is a 64bit processor you also need a operating-system that supports the new chip... and of course also programs... like on pcs with windows XP 64...

or am i completely wrong?
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
As I recommended to someone else, you are better off to wait. You know that there are going to be new PowerMacs at or around Expo time. Even if they are not what you are expecting, there will still be price drops on the 800, 933 and 1.0G models.

I know my reply is a little late, but in the end, when it comes down towards a big expo: If you buy something now, and something incredible comes out in just a few month's time, you are going to be kicking yourself.

Now, who is Murphy? :)
__________________

Any time is a great time for iPod.
Working on avatar and new signature...
Planning to retire current signature.
 

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
1,381
89
Normally, I'd say buy now, however, being a month and a half away from defeinate new hardware, I'd wait til then. But, you must abosolutely buy something at MWNY, if not, you never will. I waited a year (after deciding to upgrade) because I wanted a G5. I waitied thru last years MWNY and MWSF and then decided to get the daul gig because I couldn't wait till July.

Get the fastest avaible machine now (or soon) and then it will be strong for a good year or so, then put it up on eBay and use that $ towards the next new fastest release:)
 

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
15,164
3,046
remember... the current G4's have up to $300 rebates associated with them...

arn
 

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
2,139
0
Buffy's bedroom
Originally posted by arn
remember... the current G4's have up to $300 rebates associated with them...

arn
Yes, but the extra money is going to a very good cause!

All my dollar are belong to Apple!
 

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
919
0
Not to mention that if you wait, your new system might just come with 10.2 installed. That'll save you $100 or so dollars there...
 

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
2,655
0
Kent, UK
I can't see apple charging $100 for an upgrade from 10.1 to 10.2. They might (and probably will) charge up to about $50, but not the full price.
 

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
919
0
Originally posted by britboy
I can't see apple charging $100 for an upgrade from 10.1 to 10.2. They might (and probably will) charge up to about $50, but not the full price.
True, true... But isn't it nice to have a 1 disc reinstall? That's worth a good $20 to me.
 

tortus

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2002
73
0
Los Angeles
Hold out for the DDR

No point in buying a new Powermac with antiquated memory unless you have to or the deal is phenomenal.
 

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
Originally posted by tfaz1


True, true... But isn't it nice to have a 1 disc reinstall? That's worth a good $20 to me.
Definitely........ I bought the original OSX, then the Uprgrade to OSX.1, and have aload of upgrades from the net..... it'd be nice to have everything and the latest OSX version on the one CD.......... the time saving on installation would be huge!!
 

Horne

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2002
18
0
Glasgow, Scotland
64 bit.

I want to see techies answer the following question asked by silv futher back up the thread please....

-----------------

btw - g5: if it is a 64bit cpu - where is osX-64? and all the new 64bit programs?
cause if there is a 64bit processor you also need a operating-system that supports the new chip... and of course also programs... like on pcs with windows XP 64...

or am i completely wrong?

-----------------

Cheers,

Horne
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
Well, we will need a 64bit version of OSX. However, the G5 is supposed to be 32bit compatible as well + therefore would hapilly run on the current OSX version. However, they probably would provide a re-compiled version of OSX at some point.

Windows XP 64 wont be released until next january will it? Thats what I heard anyway. The AMD 64bit chip is no out for some time! Intel is some way of with its consumer 64bit chip as well.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.