Waiting for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mark28, Dec 31, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

I think i'm going to skip the iPhone 4S mainly due to battery issues. By the time iPhone 5 gets released, the battery issues should be fixed and Siri should be out of Beta hopefully. Good idea?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Coming from me? Bad idea. I am sure there will be something people complain about with the iPhone 5 (or whatever they call it). It's inevitable.

4. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Do you have an iPhone 4? While a case could be made for any phone to upgrade, if you have/had anything older than an iPhone 4, I've heard that the upgrades are well worth it.

That being said, I am upgrading to an iPhone 4S in about 3 weeks when I am eligible for my upgrade. I am not waiting for iPhone 5.

Why?

Because Sprint is restructuring its network for 4G coverage. This coverage won't be complete until the END of 2013. I'll be eligible for another upgrade in November 2013, so I will probably wind up getting the iPhone 5S or whatever they call it at that point.

Which is fine by me - that gives them time to work the bugs out of the 5 and sprint the chance to work the bugs out of their 4G LTE network.

5. Senex macrumors member

^--- THIS.

Every phone is going to have some "awful issue" people complain about. It happens with every round of iPhone, from antenna problems, to yellow displays, to battery issues, to software, to cracked case backs (etc., etc., etc.)

I have a 4 and am waiting on the successor to the 4S, but not because of any issues with the phone ...just because I bought this over the summer and don't see the need to spend another several hundred dollars just yet.

6. Photogdave macrumors regular

Photogdave

Not all iPhone 4s have issues. I have a 4s and my battery is great. My screen is great and its lightening fast.

You can wait if you want, but trust me, there will be problems with 5 as well.
    every device made will have droves of people complaining about them.
    And you came to just the place to hear all of it.
    Its a forum, and maybe 1% of those on here will post to say something great about it.
    Its human nature to complain about what we feel is wrong and for some reason we tend to forget the good. Its nature.
    But also, as a human, we have to use our brains and weed out the posts and decide whats a real issue and whats not.

I know quite a few people who have 4 and 4s and non of them have issues....me included.
    Yet, i get on here tooling around for tips, tricks etc just trying to learn about Apple. I was coming from droid.
    My impressions so far is that the 4s is the best phone Ive ever used and don't know why I gave so many Android phones a chance.

I didn't expect to find so many people complaining about the phone when I got on here.
    But, as said, you need to remember, its a forum and that's what it is. People get on and discuss problems or what they think may be a problem
    Some just don't handle as well as others and so you get impressions of total dissatisfaction.
    NONE, however get on just to say how pleased they are.....they just don't.
    I don't discredit "some" battery issues. Some do exist. Apple has warrantied some phones because they actually deem them not up to standard.

But, Ive read many of these people just hammering the phones worth when it was merely setting they had set and screen brightness turned all the way up for crying out load.
    C'mon, we all know better than that.

I get plenty of life from my phone.
    Then, after a full charge look how long it stayed at 100% before ever dropping.
    Thats nearly 2 full days of standby and 5minutes shy of 7hrs usage....and some usage isn't recorded.
    And I don't know how long it stayed at 100% before dropping to 99% before I picked it up again.
    I can do whatever I like on mine without fear.
    Of course, like everyone here, Id love to go 3 days on a charge.
    But being realistic, this is where the smartphone/touchscreen devices are at moment. And its been this way for a while. Theres been news articles outlining battery life on Smartphones so people know what to expect on new Christmas purchases LOL.
    A days use of average heavy use.
    I can get 2 if I use it as a phone and don't play with it all day.

You're welcome to wait for the 5 if your fear is you might get a bad 4s......they are out there....as is all devices.
    But, this will happen with the 5 too.
    If you want a better phone get it. And keep returning it until you get one with no issues.(Screen or battery issue)
    I got one on first try.....and my luck aint good.
    These issues are not the norm of what you are reading in the forums.
    Its all, one sided complaints, you're not getting the users input that are happy.
    Hope which ever choice you make works out. I'll say this in closing.
    I know 3 people who had 3g and 3gs who jumped on and are real happy.
    Huge upgrade.
    I know 2 that had the 4 and decided this was good enough and would skip 4s.
    And one 4 user who is buying 4s after 1st of year, having played with my 4s and seeing the speed difference.
    It may not be worth it to you, it was for him.
    Good luck

Attached Files:

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Agreed with the statements above. The reason to wait for the 5 is for the redesign. This is what I'm anticipating for.

8. saving107, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm still crossing my fingers that the battery life and other complaints of the original iPhone finally get resolved.

This. People will always complain about something.

EDIT:
    I've used this Screen Cap before and I find it to be accurate of the complaints throughout the years.

[​IMG]

9. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

10. The Doop macrumors member

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I have seen compelling arguments either way. If they do call it the five it will be because they know how stupid the average consumer is...

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I suppose you could wait for the 5... if you want an inferior product.

Sure, the 5 will hopefully solve any of the problems of the 4S, but, just a year after it's released, the 5S (or 6 or whatever it's called) will be even faster, more powerful, and have that many more features.

Of course, just a year after that one comes out... there will be something even better on the horizon.

If you want to wait for the best, you'll always be waiting.

13. forcetactic macrumors 6502

14. OceanView macrumors 65816

I have both the 4 and the 4S and the only thing the 4S that I use and prefer is the camera. Other than that not a huge speed difference to me.
    Siri is still in beta and not that big of a deal to me.
    So if you can only upgrade every 2 years, wait for the 5.

15. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Depends on what phone you have.

Before the announcement of the iPhone 5 I'll be selling my 4S

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I was going to get the 4S ... went with the 4 instead :cool:

$49.99 for the phone and $60/month for a 1GB data plan :apple:

17. Etiene macrumors regular

I've gone for a 12-Month plan, since I know I'll want to upgrade when the next one is out and I should be fortunate enough to have the necessary resources.

In the UK the 12-Month plans actually work out cheaper for the actual plan anyway [subtracting the cost of the phone], so I figure after a year I can either sell it or give it to a family member.

As others have said, the next generation will have its own issues, but I can't report any problems with my 4S. You have to realise that lots of people with issues will post about it but not many people without will bother. Forums are not a good sample of the user base.

18. Photogdave macrumors regular

Photogdave

Thank you, I think I said the same thing above:D

19. bossxii, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

bossxii macrumors 68000

There are those who will be forever waiting for a device that will never be released...

There is the rest of us enjoying the technology that is currently available. I'll buy what's out, I"ll deal with the overhyped internet "issues", of which I have zero battery issues, and enjoy each release of the iPhone. Looking back to 2007, I'm happy I have owned each iPhone and enjoyed each advancement that has been made over the years.

I'm sure the iPhone 5 will be great, as will the 6, 7, 8 etc.. etc... etc...

20. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

The battery issue only affects a minority of iPhone 4S users. I have had 3, and none ever had battery issues. In fact, all 3 did not have any defects whatsoever. All but one of my coworkers also have defect-free iPhones. That one coworker is the one person I know that does experience battery issues.

21. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I just got the 4S and it's my first iPhone. I will be getting the iPhone 5 when it comes out (Both lines on my acct were eligible for an upgrade so I took one of them and got the 4S). I think you should only do it if your on something < iPhone 4. If you're already on 4, really not too much benefit. That being said I absolutely LOVE my iPhone 4S.

22. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

This is what I am doing. I have an iPhone 4 and my contract runs out in march. I'm just going to save the upgrade until the iPhone 5 comes out, assuming I can do that. If not I'll just buy an iPhone 5 when it comes out.

23. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

I've made a quick chart of people who switch to the iPhone 4S or iPhone 6

iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4S = Most ridiculous person ever. Get a life.
    iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 4S = Somewhat ridiculous, unless you NEED the camera.
    iPhone 3G -> iPhone 4S = About fricking time. How did you last so long?
    Android -> iPhone 4S = We were wondering when you'd find your way home.

iPhone 4S -> iPhone 6 = We told you to wait, knucklehead.
    iPhone 4 -> iPhone 6 = A natural progression. You're normal.
    iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 6 = Master race of iPhone consumers. Can't be beat.
    Android -> iPhone 6 = Master race of new iPhone converts.

24. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

I think it all depends on what you want. The iPhone 4S is so much faster than my last phone, which had similar specs to the iPhone 4, so you might appreciate the speed boost, and Siri is also pretty nice. Neither are really outstanding reasons to upgrade if you're happy with what you have though.

If it makes you feel any better I haven't noticed any battery life issues at all, and I'm a heavy user - playing older games like World of Goo, browsing the web, e-mailing, texting, and social networking throughout the entire day, and usually don't have to charge until bed time (a good 15ish hours). The only time I notice my battery really drain is when playing something like Infinity Blade or another intensive 3D game.

25. iTunes-Luv macrumors member

iTunes-Luv

My wife switches from 3GS to 4S mostly because of the contract is ended (2 years). So it makes sense. However if you own an iPhone 4, I would recommend to wait until the iPhone 5.