Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Air Cargo shipments have become EXTREMELY strict over the past 2-3 years. Any and all batteries containing lithium must be disclosed.

Nearly all BR2032 and CR2032 batteries are lithium based and do require special labels when transporting, regardless of quantities. You can order one from Amazon and it’s supposed to ship with a large sticker on the box (like the DHL chart shows) and only travel by ground to final destination.

Coin batteries are a different category than laptop batteries, but they are still regulated when shipping.

The document specifically references A1991 as the part with batteries, not a bundle.

Other systems that ship with the keyboard and mouse bundle list those additional part numbers in the “type” description column, like iMac and iMac Pro does.

CFE70865-7BEB-4D7A-82FE-65BE3413EFA0.jpeg

Reactions: Synchro3

skippermonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Bath, UK
Are your meds wearing off? Way over the top shouting!

... But don't go ballistic insulting another member without knowing the facts.

Good grief. Nugget was satirising the typical forum responses telling other users, in no uncertain terms, that the Mac Pro ISN'T FOR THEM. I laughed out loud – sadly you missed the reference by a fair distance.

Reactions: MikeLD and sigmadog

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Has the Mac Pro 2013 been available on the Apple store app this whole time? I thought the 7,1 was listed there

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
There have been times when the higher clock speed RAM was issued in BTO configurations in the past, but I believe those days are over.

FWIW, Crucial 32GB DDR4-2666 RDIMM CT32G4RFD4266 and Crucial 32GB DDR4-2933 RDIMM CT32G4RFD4293 are both selling for $170/module suggested retail. Can find $15-20 "discount" on the 2666, but not for the 2933. That ~$100 "savings" is not really making a difference in overall cost.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
There have been times when the higher clock speed RAM was issued in BTO configurations in the past, but I believe those days are over.

FWIW, Crucial 32GB DDR4-2666 RDIMM CT32G4RFD4266 and Crucial 32GB DDR4-2933 RDIMM CT32G4RFD4293 are both selling for $170/module suggested retail. Can find $15-20 "discount" on the 2666, but not for the 2933. That ~$100 "savings" is not really making a difference in overall cost.

To be fair, like with PCIe revisions, I don't regularly see any real-world tests where RAM speed actually matters much. For such little savings I don't think it makes much sense (especially considering the overall cost of the product) not to get the faster option, but it's also partially a physiological component.

As an aside, http://istodaymacproday.com should really be updated to "Mac Pro Day" being when this thing officially starts shipping :p

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Friday and nothing.

*cue moonlight sonata -- puts wallet back in pocket*

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
For 2666 to 2933, it's likely minimal overall speed difference on processors that support. Probably noticeable on benchmarks more than real world usage... but gotta keep those benchmark scores up, right?

If someone is purchasing brand new 3rd party modules and choosing the W-3223 model, still would recommend 2933 for that scenario. Even if it's a "just in case" you're upgrading CPU in 2-5 years.

I'm regularly maxing the 128GB of RAM on MP5,1 so the entry-level 32GB total won't cut it.
[automerge]1573224136[/automerge]
If you're hoping to see something trickle from the FCPX event, it's not even 9AM in Cupertino...

Reactions: Aldaris

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Not in our lifetimes. Apple is a business and their business model does not include being our friend.

If the fast DIMMs run stability at the lower speeds in their systems, Apple may do it. Not particularly as a 'friend' or to primarily enable CPU upgrades, but to save themselves money with simplified inventory.

they wouldn't need two collections of 8GB , 16GB , 32GB , 64GB , and 128GB DIMMs ( one at 2666 and on at 2933 ). The number of 8 core systems that are going buy 128GB DIMMs from Apple is probably dismally small.

the 4 and 8 8GB DIMMs are probably going to be relatively common on the 8 core model so those may be segregated out for in incrementally cheaper DIMMs but the higher capacity ones probably would get merged as those lower volumes would get better scale discounts pulling from bigger piles at each capacity.

Whatever saves Apple a couple of bucks and they'll just pocket it.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
For some reason (and I'm not enough of a chemist to understand why), small lithium-based primary (non-rechargeable) cells pose negligible risk, and are not disclosed on shipping documents. The largest common lithium primary cells are lithium AAs, and I don't think those have any shipping restrictions(??)

The only application I am aware of for larger lithium primary cells is in rockets, missiles, etc. In that case , the batteries are probably not what causes the shipping issues with objects like Trident missiles... "Contains lithium batteries" is less important than "contains nuclear warheads"!

Romanesco

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2015
New York City
Anyone here care to advise if I'd be able to run the Apple Pro Display XDR on one Nvidia 2080 Ti thru the Gigabyte Titan Ridge add-in card? Or on a MacBook Pro (15", 2018/2019) + Apple's Pro Display XDR thru an eGPU (Radeon RX 5700 XT, Radeon VII) in a Razer Core X eGPU?

Apple mentions in the display notes
For Mac models with Thunderbolt 3 driving Pro Display XDR at 5K resolution, USB-C ports have USB 3.1 Gen 1 data transfer speeds.
which would explain some, but what happens if I run it thru the two setups above?

I currently have the first setup running on 2x LG UltraFines 4K (2019). Can confirm the 5K version works too.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Anyone here care to advise if I'd be able to run the Apple Pro Display XDR on one Nvidia 2080 Ti thru the Gigabyte Titan Ridge add-in card? Or on a MacBook Pro (15", 2018/2019) + Apple's Pro Display XDR thru an eGPU (Radeon RX 5700 XT, Radeon VII) in a Razer Core X eGPU?

Apple mentions in the display notes which would explain some, but what happens if I run it thru the two setups above?

I currently have the first setup running on 2x LG UltraFines 4K (2019). Can confirm the 5K version works too.

That's not a supported configuration and won't run under MacOS at all so no. If you're looking for someone with personal experience on Windows you won't get that either since no one without a massive NDA has one in their possession.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
UN3481 is hazard class 9 for UPS. If you've shipped batteries or purchased batteries that have been shipped in the past 6 months, you'll recognize these markings and label requirements. If you ever travel with video production equipment, or ship that equipment, you'll probably be REALLY familiar with all these rules and regulations...

All this means is each INDIVIDUAL MP7,1 box may not need a label slapped on it. If you have a pallet of them, they'll have labels on the pallet. See below.

All of this is getting REALLY off base for what this is. The MP7,1 has two batteries inside. That's the "story" here. The MP7,1 is also listed in shipping documents.

-----

For “Lithium ion batteries contained in equipment,” display the UN3481 Lithium battery mark for any single package that contains >4 cells or >2 batteries. Also, mark any of these packages “P.I. 967-II.”

Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 10.42.21 AM.png

Reactions: Aldaris

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Good grief. Nugget was satirising the typical forum responses telling other users, in no uncertain terms, that the Mac Pro ISN'T FOR THEM. I laughed out loud – sadly you missed the reference by a fair distance.
OK, you're probably right. But sarcasm or parody can be easily misread on the screen - it's a good idea to put a smiley or other symbol to make it clear.

You got me, Nugget!

Reactions: monokakata

StuAff

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2007
Portsmouth, UK
LOOK, If you don't understand why someone would need a 7Wh battery TO DO THEIR JOB then this Mac Pro IS NOT FOR YOU. This is a machine for PROS who earn so much money per hour in billable time that it's EASY TO JUSTIFY a 7Wh battery in their computer. THIS IS NOT A MACHINE FOR ENTHUSIASTS who can get by with consumer batteries. Just go buy a CR2032 battery from Amazon and play your low-watt games!
This gag- nice one Nugget- reminded me of some trolling I got on Twitter a while back. You might remember this tweet, that got posted upthread....

pusateri-jpg.841893

To which I made a perfectly reasonable response..
"If wanting one of these makes me an idiot, I am proud to be an idiot. In 25 years of Mac ownership, always gone pro- PM 6100, G3 tower, G4 MDD, 1st gen Mac Pro, 2009 Mac Pro. And I make them last- still have the 1st MP. So this new beastie, sod the cost, I want one!"
Someone (who also happens to be a member on here) replied:
"The perfect idiot with more money than sense, this is exactly who 99% of creative musicians who have waited for an affordable, scalable replacement for their aging Mac Pro think will by this stupidly expensive junk “it’s shines,silver & made by Apple”'. Well, apart from that surgery he needs to get that huge chip off his shoulder, I have no idea what his problem is. Not his money, for a start. If he just bothered reading the tweet properly, it would have been clear I'm not exactly a spendthrift. More money than sense? Ha ha ha…if I were to spend £8000 on an MP (highly unlikely) and keep it for a decade (more than likely), and gave it away at that point (not happening), that would work out at an extortionate....£15 a week (running costs and upgrades obviously excluded). Outrageous expense. But I'm not a 'Pro', so I don't 'deserve' it, so says this guy.
Perhaps he is an amazing musician and on the verge of recording something great. Perhaps there is no beginning to his talent. I have no idea. But he doesn't need a 7,1, either way. He might want one (well, he doesn't, but...), it might make his work easier, but he- and many potential customers- don't need one. Which does not mean that they shouldn't buy one if they want one. If you won the lottery and decide you want a fully loaded machine for web browsing and the odd game of Fortnite, why not? More customers= more likely to be new MPs in future. And more second-hand ones for further customers.

Reactions: SecuritySteve

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
This gag- nice one Nugget- reminded me of some trolling I got on Twitter a while back. You might remember this tweet, that got posted upthread....

pusateri-jpg.841893

To which I made a perfectly reasonable response..
"If wanting one of these makes me an idiot, I am proud to be an idiot. In 25 years of Mac ownership, always gone pro- PM 6100, G3 tower, G4 MDD, 1st gen Mac Pro, 2009 Mac Pro. And I make them last- still have the 1st MP. So this new beastie, sod the cost, I want one!"
Someone (who also happens to be a member on here) replied:
"The perfect idiot with more money than sense, this is exactly who 99% of creative musicians who have waited for an affordable, scalable replacement for their aging Mac Pro think will by this stupidly expensive junk “it’s shines,silver & made by Apple”'. Well, apart from that surgery he needs to get that huge chip off his shoulder, I have no idea what his problem is. Not his money, for a start. If he just bothered reading the tweet properly, it would have been clear I'm not exactly a spendthrift. More money than sense? Ha ha ha…if I were to spend £8000 on an MP (highly unlikely) and keep it for a decade (more than likely), and gave it away at that point (not happening), that would work out at an extortionate....£15 a week (running costs and upgrades obviously excluded). Outrageous expense. But I'm not a 'Pro', so I don't 'deserve' it, so says this guy.
Perhaps he is an amazing musician and on the verge of recording something great. Perhaps there is no beginning to his talent. I have no idea. But he doesn't need a 7,1, either way. He might want one (well, he doesn't, but...), it might make his work easier, but he- and many potential customers- don't need one. Which does not mean that they shouldn't buy one if they want one. If you won the lottery and decide you want a fully loaded machine for web browsing and the odd game of Fortnite, why not? More customers= more likely to be new MPs in future. And more second-hand ones for further customers.
I never understood the counter logic. It's as if some "professionals" think the gains minus cost divided by time formula is mythical and belongs only to them.

There are more pros than just musicians and Adobe users. There are so many ways to make money off macOS platforms it still shocks me that it is so misunderstood.

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
As a pro I need a pro machine I can upgrade myself and even open to clean-out the dust. Ok, I don't need a high end video or render monster but a Mac that runs 24/7. So I am an idiot because I have to pay a fortune for such a Mac.

Or maybe Apple is just out of place not offering a "Mac" in their product line that covers the needs of probably 95% of the mac pro users out there...

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
For some reason (and I'm not enough of a chemist to understand why), small lithium-based primary (non-rechargeable) cells pose negligible risk, and are not disclosed on shipping documents.

I bought a couple 24-packs of lithium primary batteries recently, and they got slapped with the usual shipping restrictions.

It’s about balancing risk vs potentially onerous requirements to ship an item.

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
When I mentioned the RAM speed I wasn't really considering they'd always go with the higher speed modules just because they are our friends, of course. Or that they would want to make it easier for us to upgrade later, even with their own modules. They're a business, they have to make money, being our friend is not at the top of their priority list, for sure.
But like I said, and dec followed on it, having less SKUs and maximizing quantities is also (or should be) a concern for Apple. And since the difference in cost between 2666 and 2933 is negligible it would make sense to always go with the higher speed ones. But still, the bean counters there might just do the math of a couple of bucks times the millions of units (cough, cough) of the base MP sold and that could be a lot of money, even if having to stock up another 3 or 4 SKUs.
We'll know soon enough. Not this week it seems, though.

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
I wonder why Intel made this option of restricting the 8 core CPUs to 2666. Binning or just to have an entry capped CPU just to say it exists and make you go to the next option? Maybe a bit of both.
I have this issue with non-power of 2 counts (silly, I know, but whatever) so my next option would be the 16 core, which is already 2k USD (Apple will not discount the 749USD of the original 3223 for sure), and actually would be the sweet spot. Add to that at least another 256GB flash module (or go straight to 1TB right away) and a Vega GPU and I'm in 10k territory in a heart beat. Add to that another 6k for the XDR with the infamous stand (who dared a while back saying it was plastic?! :) ) and I'm looking at twice the amount I was hoping to spend before Apple presented the 7,1 and the (few) pricing details.
Well, can't have it all. We wanted a nmMP, we wanted it to be upgradable, we wanted it to take on standard GPUs, we wanted a beefy power supply, we wanted a tower design. Well, we got it, Apple delivered. Late (well, not yet) but they did. So, I guess I can't complain much.

Reactions: StuAff

StuAff

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2007
Portsmouth, UK
I never understood the counter logic. It's as if some "professionals" think the gains minus cost divided by time formula is mythical and belongs only to them.

There are more pros than just musicians and Adobe users. There are so many ways to make money off macOS platforms it still shocks me that it is so misunderstood.
Apart from which, you don't need (or even want) to be able to make money from an MP, to want one. I don't think Apple is going to launch the mythical mini-tower that people keep hoping for (though, with hindsight, they have in the past- PM G3 & G4 fit the bill). It would be logical and sensible in many respects- if more machines use MPX modules, it's likely to get better take-up from third parties, for example. But it would certainly cannibalise existing models' sales and not necessarily grow the market. Apple has probably decided that would be the case. Even if they were going to fill that gap, Apple was right (a) to produce a high-end machine and (b) get it out of the door, before thing they're almost certainly not launching. And Apple does know 'serious' home users love Mac Pros- there used to be gaming GPUs in them, and gaming benchmarks on product pages....

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
For anyone still looking to the FCPX summit for insight: Apparently there were NDA's required in advance to attend a portion or portions of the Apple Campus visit in anticipation of something "exciting" being discussed. They might just be related to upcoming software release(s).

There is speculation FMC just used that as a ploy to build hype for the event. It's a pretty small crowd (under 100) and small event compared to others in the industry (like Avid/ProTools or Adobe events). The conference is not even sold out. Tickets were still being sold as of this morning for today and tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.