Waiting for Mac Pro 7,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mago, May 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. William Payne macrumors 6502a

It depends on the software, some softwares really just outright don't gain anything from multiple gpu's, while others will use as many as you can give.

2. Mago thread starter macrumors 68000

macOS only supports 1 gpu for 2D/3D Rendering, even most apps using GPU acceleration are enabled/aware for only 1 GPU.

With CUDA its easy to link multiple GPUs in large parallel workloads, not the same with OpenCL 1.2 (macOS dont support newer OpenCL2 neither Vulkan)

3. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

is there an iMac Pro launch event?
    do they have something scheduled for December ?

(real questions.. not rhetorical ;) )

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

What about Metal / Metal2?

5. Aldaris, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Nothing solid-concrete, but historically Apple tends to have an October to late fall event.

Tim and Co will want to hype up iPhones and show off Home Pod, will likely talk about iMac Pro and any other updates.

Holiday sales around the corner, Apple will want to make everyone aware of their “amazing” and “magical” products. In the last event I think Tim said something along the lines of ‘this is our iPhone and Apple Watch lone up for the holidays’ leaving out other important and emerging product lines. For what it’s worth here is what I expect from Apple in either November or early December ( most likely before Black Friday, before too many people jump on products that may be updated).

Late 2017 Apple Event
    1. Obligatory stats of Apple: (iPhone 8/X pre-order sales, iOS 11 and High Sierra adoption-new features like Apple Pay to peer/iCloud iMessage sync available in soon to be released update).
    2. HomePod: product demo, additional functionality and features.
    3. iMac Pro: configs, prices, availability.
    4. Accessories: Winter colors for watch bands, iPhone, and iPad cases, details on AirPower and other first party wireless charging accessories, new Apple Pencil no. 2 (features wireless charging, with new iPad Pro case with built in wireless charger for Apple Pencil no. 2).
    5. Other possible updates to Macs.
    6. Mac Pro tease with the clarification that the iMac Pro is great with a great display and will probably be great for you, but if you hang in longer there is going to be something hung huge ‘epic’ coming in 6-9 months.
    7. ‘This is our holiday line up with the best iPhones, iPads, and macs, the new iMac Pro is a powerhouse for creatives and the HomePod will change the way you interact and enjoy your home’

Wild Card- HomeKit 2.0

6. CWallace, Sep 28, 2017

CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Extremely unlikely we will have another Apple event in 2017, IMO.

I expect both HomePod and the iMac Pro to launch via Press Release announcing their availability.

They would likely have to hold it in December, which IMO is too late.

iPhone X will probably be severely constrained and they may not want to talk about iPhone 8 family sales considering they seem to be much slower than previous sales due to early-adopter demand being focused on iPhone X (when normally it would have been on iPhone 8 if there was no X).

They can do that via giving it to selected press and put them under NDA until Apple is ready to announce availability. Probably be more effective that way as people will have weeks of real-world experience with the product to base their reviews on and consumers will find that more valuable than a static staged demo.

Can be handled via a Press Release. No need for an event.

AirPower is a 2018 product - no reason to talk about it now. If there is a Pencil 2.0, it would also be a 2018 item so same.

And has Apple ever announced new bands and cases a month after an iPhone and Apple Watch event?

Nothing to update until the Mac Pro comes in 2018. Mac Mini is either EOL'd or it's going to be a 2018 major refresh/redesign, so nothing to talk about there, either.

So Apple would be telling people to not buy Macs during the holidays, but wait until next year. :p:eek:

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Just wanted to throw this out there.

[​IMG]

8. BB8 macrumors regular

BB8

No, new Apple Watch bands typically come out twice a year: in the fall and in the spring.

It's not unheard of for there to be a second event in October, but I don't consider it likely. The headlining products would have to be Homepod and iMac Pro, but both of these products have already been announced, so what's the point? There's no way they're holding an event to tease the Mac Pro just before iMac Pro releases. That's nuts.

9. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

And at that event they announced the new MacBook Pro and the TV app for the AppleTV.

New MacBook Pros were announced at WWDC and the Apple TV was updated last week.

10. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

No need for Apple to bring up the MP7,1 at all - the niche market for the MP7,1 system already knows about it, and the Imac Pro will be fine for a large part of that niche market.

And you see people using the words "love" and "lust" for Mac Pros (and other Macs), but do you really think that the MP7,1 is "hung"? :oops:

11. ventricle macrumors member

ventricle

I wish I could unread that. Why is this site still called macrumors… oh wait, Apple makes computers too!

12. Aldaris, Sep 28, 2017

Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

The HomePod is in direct competition to Amazon Echo and Google Assistant, along with wireless speakers. It was given a tease and a mere 10 minutes of slides. Absolutely no real demonstration and a soft launch date. Apple priced this device at $349, when they made the argument they could charge between $400-700. Apple is gearing for this to be a holiday hit, without a little more press it’s more or less forgotten by all except those that follow Apple.

As for the iMac Pro, it was also given a soft launch date with an base config price. Although it won’t be under everyone’s trees this December, they’ll want to show off there new flagship workhorse.

Accessories for the iPhone 8 and X have already been revealed with a “coming 2018” most of these will be available early in 2018 and Apple will be able to give a soft launch window for many of these products, even through “coming February/March”. Apple doesn’t want to cede too much to third parties, admittedly many will have multiple charging pads at home and work, but with accessories being purchased either as a gift or compliment a gift over the next three months Apple can stem the loss with “get them a gift card, so they can get the charging pad they really want in a few weeks/months”. As for bands and cases, I would imagine only adding a few colors to the mix, or a slightly different variant of existing ones, this wont be a full overhaul.

As for stats, they will likely be pre-order numbers only, with “demand has been unprecedented and we are working top get iPhone X’s to our customers as fast as possible, (even though they will probably quickly have lead times past December).

In the end this is all speculation based on what Apple has done in the past, there have been 4 October events during Tim’s time at the helm, last year with the MacBook Pro touch Bar and Apple TV app, like @CWallace stated, as well as in 2014, where iPads were updated retina iMac, and 13’” retina MacBook Pro, 2012 where iPads, iMacs, and iBooks 3.

Here are the Events if you need to see more:
    October 20, 2016 “hello again”
    October 8, 2014 “It’s been way too long”
    October 23, 2013 “We still have a lot to cover”
    October 16, 2012 “We’ve got a little more to show you”
    October 13, 2010 “Back to the Mac”
    October 9, 2008 “The spotlight turns to notebooks”
    October 14, 2005 “We unveil Apple’s latest pro innovations”
    October 9, 2003 “This year the biggest music story is about to get bigger”
    October 15, 2001 “Hint: It’s not a Mac”

So historically, it’s never been a guarantee, that there is an October event, but I think they have a lot ridding on this holiday quarter and iPhone launch.

In the end its almost a 50-50 shot.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2017 ---
    My sincerest apologies, I meant huge, but autocorrect didn’t like it.

I think it will be telling on whether or not the 7,1 is teased or not. I think if it is, it will be to market sooner, if it isn’t mentioned we may be looking at 2019. There have been a few here saying that they would try an iMac Pro to get them through, I think there are still those who will hold out, granted the idea of PCI-slots is probably dead either way and we are looking at thunderbolt breakout boxes either way. Without any other word than “were working on something” its hard to make a good decision between waiting or just getting the iMac Pro. Again everyone has their own unique circumstances so please don’t think I speak/think for anyone else. I am sure for some the iMac Pro will be the greatest thing since sliced bread, for others it’s at least as good or better than the tcMP, but still not the device we are looking for.

13. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I just don't see what they would announce in October that would warrant an event. In the past, October events were primarily Mac events and they took care of that at WDCC. The other option was iPads, but those were all updated at WDCC, as well. So two "regular" annual Apple Events - iPads in March and Macs in October - were instead all being part of the WWDC keynote in June. This might very well be the new plan going forward, with the WWDC keynote being as much about hardware as it is about software as it is the second-most media-covered keynote Apple gives after the September iPhone event.

Yes, HomePod is an important product for them, but I truly believe that they will get all the media attention they need by seeding them with a dozen or two people at the major Apple and Consumer Electronics media companies/sites for a week or two under NDA and then let them release articles when they lift the NDA. They do this for new iPhones and iPads, so why not HomePod?

I admit the Steve Jobs Theater and Exhibition Area does give Apple a great deal of more freedom to schedule events then when they only had Town Hall or had to build out external venues. So they could do something in November if they wanted, but would the press really come running en masse if it's just HomePod and iMac Pro?

14. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Apple seldom says anything but cryptic messages in the invitations, but the press always starts drooling and booking plane tickets anyway.

And, if the announcement is merely something as embarrassing as new colors for watch bands - the press will have high praise just because they need to justify their travel expenses.

15. Mago thread starter macrumors 68000

just pointing out something.
    Pro's machines usually arent scheduled as holidays gifts, unless your last name is Musk.
    Lately seems Apple is holding press events just to launch leather watch bands.
    New MBP where announced last October event.

Next October event Apple also may:

Launch new Mac mini, 5K TB3 display, updated iPad mini (pro) or just discontinuing it.

While I'm not too optimistic about iPhone 8/X sales this year, its unavoidable Tim wil speak out about by 15 minutes, about the peopel much love etc etc.

All this happened before. and as before there is no shortage of Apple event denials, (isn't the same people who said the WWDC was a SW only and new iMacs wont be launched until october?)... All this happened before...

16. goMac macrumors 603

I wouldn't expect any new display launch this year either, or likely even be shown. No changes for iPad Mini this year.

Should note that 2013 Mac Pro never got an October event. October event isn't impossible, but the track record for events for pro desktops is not good.

Hard to see Apple doing an event just for the iMac Pro. But at least HomePod is still out there unreleased.

Like I said before, it's very unlikely Apple will want to do anything this year that takes away from iMac Pro sales. They're not going to announce the iMac Pro and then announce something better than the iMac Pro in the same event. Best you would see are hints or a teaser video like WWDC 2013. But honestly I don't think we'll see the Mac Pro talked about until WWDC 2018.

17. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

If Apple was going to update the Mini with new CPUs, they would have done so at WWDC. They explicitly dismissed it in the April Pow-Wow which means it is either EoL when stocks are exhausted or they are developing an all new Mini form factor and design concept and they would release it in conjunction with the Mac Pro and the new 8K (and probably 5K) Thunderbolt displays next year.

And if they were going to make an iPad Mini Pro, again, it would have launched at WWDC with the 10.5" model and the updates to the 9.7 and 12.9. That they didn't even talk about it makes me think it too is going into Maintenance Mode and will be EoL'd down the road - especially if Apple comes out with an iPhone larger than the Plus (as rumors now suggest).

18. Mago, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

Mago thread starter macrumors 68000

Unless the CPU they want to pun on the mini wasn't ready for the time, there are sound rumors about Apple commissioned a custom Zen APU similar to the one will run the next XboX, one with 4 Zen cores and 11 Vega 11 Cores, AMD has ready a similar APU just about 6 weeks or so, If Apple decided to move to AMD its logical they postponed the Mini (and maybe this is the actual true reason on the mMP delay).

The iPad mini its complicated, it doesn't exist coz Apple offered/planned it, it was a Market imposition, the problem is in general the tablet market is on steady decline, cheap notebook and chromebooks practically killed the Android Tablet and the iPad mini competition are cheap Amazon Fire eBook Readers, bt the iPad mini build its own loyal user base among health care, aviation and service industries that prefer it over the bigger iPads despite similar prize or even more powerful, killing the iPad mini require the similar courage they had to kill the headphone jack. Updating the mini to a Pro-mini h/w wont tax iphone 8+ sales neither iPad Pro.
    Apple didn't formally introduces the iMAc Pro just preview it, Apple still has to properly introduce it in detail, usually they don't do that on press releases.

19. CWallace, Sep 29, 2017

CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I would expect if Apple were to move the entire Mac line to AMD, that would be something they would announce at a WWDC (as they did with the PowerPC to Intel migration at WWDC 2005). The individual models might migrate in stages (as they did in 2006/2007), but I just do not see Apple in two weeks saying "The Mac Mini is going to AMD - and everything else is staying Intel".

As for the iPad Mini, I think it was strongly hurt by the iPhone Plus (I gave my iPad Mini to my father because the Plus was large enough for the tasks I was originally using the Mini for) and if Apple launches a 6-inch or larger iPhone, that's really going to undercut the Mini's case, IMO.

I'm not sure they do, to be honest. It's an iMac with a faster CPU and GPU of benefit to people doing specialized tasks that leverage that power. If I was in the market for an iMac Pro, I would be far more interested in reading a review from a trusted publication in my industry (video production, audio production, scientific visualization, etc.) that had been using it for similar tasks for weeks than I would be in seeing a 15 minute carefully-controlled demo by Craig talking about the "magic" of the Intel Xeon W CPU and AMD Vega GPU and showing me some random benchmarks. :)

When they decide to hold an event for the iMac Pro, it will be as part of the event for the new Mac Pro (in part, I am sure, to make the claim that the iMac Pro has been relevant for months so the Mac Pro will be, too). And I in no way believe Apple has a Mac Pro design they are ready to show as official in the next few weeks, much less an actual machine and configuration list.

20. Ph.D. macrumors 6502

With all due respect, I kind of doubt that. It's not clear (to me, anyway) that AMD has the right performance vs. power consumption parts for laptops. To the contrary, for laptops, Apple's own A series parts would be a tempting, if traumatic, option. But switching to their A series would be so traumatic that I also doubt they would do that either unless they believed it was going to be the right choice for at least 10 years (i.e., will laptops even mean as much then as they still do now?).

AMD's processors would be a reasonable choice for a Mac Pro, though. The problem is likely favorable terms that Apple has with Intel, and whether a change - even in a very small market such as the Mac Pro - would upset something worth much more.

AMD would love it, though, even if just from a PR standpoint!

(I think the switch from PPC to Intel was triggered because Steve Jobs was so disgusted that IBM couldn't reach 3 GHz after Jobs announced that. Probably more to it than that, but for Jobs, it was enough.)

21. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Ah...yes. Thank you for reminding me how Apple's keynote was about 1.5 hours and Tim Cook walked out as if he didn't give a f.

22. goMac macrumors 603

Agreed, I think AMD would love it. I wouldn't be surprised if they were pushing for it. But I don't think it's likely.

23. Mago, Sep 29, 2017

Mago thread starter macrumors 68000

Moving from Intel to AMD doesnt change macOS binaries its the same x86-emt64 platform (did you remember AMD developed emt64 and licensed it to Intel after Intel's ia64 failure), Apple dont need to prevent Developers neither no application needs to be re-compiled.

Apple kept in macOS binaries some calls to x86 extensions not included in AMD-Buldozer generation CPUs, not the case for ZEN based CPU those are 1:1 about most x86 extension except latest Intel Xeon extension AVX512, dont care even Apple official LLVM compiler support it yet -avx512-, you need to compile using Intel's PE. now even there are running hackintosh based on High Sierra on AMD Ryzen PCs native not even thru an hipervisor.

Its an Mith the iPad mini hurts the iPhone 6/7/8+ Sales nor the upcoming X+ (6" in 18:9 format, iPad mini its 8" in 2:3 format), the iPad mini its used to run tablet specific applications, as I write previously it gained a solid niche among certain professionals that need such Tablet apps on something smaller and lighter they can keep in hands by long time.

PD no ipad make phone calls, this keep iPad mini and iPhone market properly segregated.

Actually desktop Zen are less power hungry than Intel's counterpart despite having more cores and sharing same process (14nm), you are judgin AMD by its past (buldozer arch) not its present (Zen), mobile Zen products are weeks/days to reach the market, I believe the innovative Zen arch. will beat intel again.

Did you know the only CPU where is economically feasible to mine Monero crytocurrency are AMD Ryzen 16xx to 17xx... and this is because its power efficiency under sustained workloads not just power efficiency due its ability to power down parts of the chip (intel)...

I was a bit skeptical about AMD until personally I confirmed this (ypu can track my comments about AMD).

Intel Sky-Rocket Raised its Xeon prices (about 25-30%), Apple needs an alternative supplier or build its own CPUs.

24. goMac macrumors 603

Or they just pass the cost onto the consumer.

25. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Bad tying on my part. What I meant to say was that IF Apple was going to move to AMD, they would move the entire Mac line to it, not just the Mini.

It was partly PowerPC could not scale to the performance levels Intel was reaching with Core and that they could not get the G5 to meet the necessary thermal and power efficiency targets for a portable configuration.

But it seems to not be a myth that the iPhone Plus hurts the iPad Mini's sales based on how the latter have fallen since the release of the former.

The thing I do the least on my iPhone 6 Plus (by a large margin) is make phone calls. I use it far more for the same things I used to use an iPad Mini for. Which is why I no longer have an iPad Mini in my portfolio.