Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Congratulations, you can quote completely out of context by stripping of extremely relevant adjectives. Playstation (PS) Navi is coming in 2020... Sony said so. Sony's and Microsofts Navi has a pretty good chance of being substantively different.

Playstation Navi is a custom package for Sony, not a consumer PCIe GPU... The E3 presentation is for Navi-based consumer PCIe GPUs...

I know Steve Jobs is not with us anymore, but I do remember what happened last time someone tried to announce a GPU AND talk about it being in the new Mac... I believe it was ATi & Apple just stopped using their GPUs for a good number of years after that...?

AMD might not want to take a chance on repeating that...

(...especially if they are hoping to land Intels spot in supplying CPUs to Apple...)

As for AMD's Q3 Navi aimed at PC's ... it is only that 'some' aspect of Navi was shipping in Q3. Not a complete 'top to bottom' line up. AMD is going to some updates to the bottom end of line up.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-640-radeon-630-graphics-card,39325.html

and that probably means Navi won't cover those. AMD itself has basically said that Vega VII isn't going to disappear any time soon. (Navi in 2019 doesn't cover that) So it is highly likely going to be a relatively narrow subset of Polaris that Navi will cover in Q3. More likely that is closer to the entry card for a new Mac Pro than some "whole line up" show stopper. Mac Pro would perhaps get a better entry and mid range card with Navi, but if Apple goes with Polaris+Vega ( stuff they already have ) it would not be surprising if they ship in Q3. If the rest of the system was sliding deep into Q4 than Navi makes some sense. However, Apple "holding up" Mac Pro primary on Navi really doesn't.

Never said the whole Navi line-up was fo Q3 2019; I would expect some of the line to be available on release, and some more down the road, especially Navi 20... Nvidea doesn't release all of a line-up at once, AMD does not need to either...

If they were doing the next Mac Pro "right" that would be increment update later they could do several months after release.

If you look at the posts I have done with potential specs for the forthcoming modular Mac Pro, you will see when I reference Navi, I note that Navi 20 ('Big Navi' that will also be the basis for the next gen of Instinct GPGPUs) would probably arriving sometime in Q2 of 2020...

The GPUs I expect to be available when the modular Mac Pro ships...
  • AMD Radeon VII, 7nm Vega 20, 60CU, 16GB HBM2
  • AMD Radeon RX 3090X, 7nm Navi 20, 64CU, 16GB GDDR6 (available Q2 2020)
  • AMD Radeon RX 3080X, 7nm Navi 10, 56CU, 8GB GDDR6
  • AMD Radeon RX 3070X, 7nm Navi 10, 48CU, 8GB GDDR6
The Radeon VII would cover the 'high-end' until Navi 20 becomes available...

There are a few Navi 12 GPUs (less CUs than above, 4GB RAM) rumored as well, but I wouldn't think Apple would carry a large number of SKUs for BTO GPUs, especially lower end models...?

The iMac pro got an update in March-April . The Mac Pro did not; not even a peep.

It is highly likely that Apple has a very significant difference in priority orderings. And their order probably counts more toward wither the product is canceled or not. If the iMac Pro got terminated that likely wouldn't bring the next Mac Pro any faster. In fact, it would probably indicate that the Mac Pro is in even deeper peril.

I just feel that if Apple can manage a proper modern Mac Pro personal desktop workstation (with matching 'Pro' display), there is no real need for the iMac Pro... I think Apple wanted Mac Pro users to shift over to the iMac Pro & it did not take off as well as they wished so now they are back to making us a new Mac Pro... My personal opinion...

Reactions: ekwipt

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
More leaks come from the offshore production products, the modular Mac Pro is probably going to be built in the US Mac Pro facility...?

Navi is definitely coming to the modular Mac Pro, probably two mid-range models for now, with Radeon VII available fo the high-end, until Navi 20 comes arounf Q1 or Q2 of 2020...?

I read some posts claiming Navi wouldn’t be coming to the Mac Pro, hence my comment about the new gem games consoles highlighting the fact its well in development and WOULD make the Mac Pro.
I haven’t seen any leaks though? For months?

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
The iMac pro got an update in March-April . The Mac Pro did not; not even a peep.
I'm not sure what you expected. Apple weren't going to update the Mac Pro "silently". The new model deserves to be presented on stage, and the April event certainly wasn't the right occasion.
It is highly likely that Apple has a very significant difference in priority orderings. And their order probably counts more toward wither the product is canceled or not. If the iMac Pro got terminated that likely wouldn't bring the next Mac Pro any faster. In fact, it would probably indicate that the Mac Pro is in even deeper peril.
The next Mac Pro is coming, there's no doubt about it. Apple has been discussing the next Mac Pro on at least 3 occasions: the first 2017 interview, one discussing their "pro workflow" team, and (I think) another one mentioning a 2019 release date. It's not cancelled. It may be delayed, but it'll come.
However, that's not to say they can afford to let the WWDC come and go without announcing it.

Reactions: Aldaris and askunk

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
What upgrades did the iMac Pro get?

Just BTO price changes and new high-end graphics and RAM options. Still hopefully a welcome sign that Intel's slow pace has gotten Apple to realize they don't need to wait to do small iterative updates while waiting for new chips though.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
The nMP didn't leak ahead of WWDC. In general there's a lot less appetite for Mac leaks and a lot less leaks in the supply chain for those leaks to come anyhow. In other words a lack of leaks means absolutely nothing one way or another wether the Mac Pro is going to be shown off.

If that were the case they would have had another press roundtable to deal with the issue and furor before WWDC.

I'm still not sure if the Mac Pro will be made domestically, but I'm going to guess it's a near-100% certainty it's gonna' be made out of old iPhones like the Mac mini and MacBook Air are now :p

Don’t buy that sorry, the Mac Pro is such a anticipated machine I think their would be lots of leaks about it. But we will see however don’t be surprised if it isn’t announced in the slightest.
[doublepost=1558308792][/doublepost]
Playstation Navi is a custom package for Sony, not a consumer PCIe GPU... The E3 presentation is for Navi-based consumer PCIe GPUs...

I know Steve Jobs is not with us anymore, but I do remember what happened last time someone tried to announce a GPU AND talk about it being in the new Mac... I believe it was ATi & Apple just stopped using their GPUs for a good number of years after that...?

AMD might not want to take a chance on repeating that...

(...especially if they are hoping to land Intels spot in supplying CPUs to Apple...)

Never said the whole Navi line-up was fo Q3 2019; I would expect some of the line to be available on release, and some more down the road, especially Navi 20... Nvidea doesn't release all of a line-up at once, AMD does not need to either...

If you look at the posts I have done with potential specs for the forthcoming modular Mac Pro, you will see when I reference Navi, I note that Navi 20 ('Big Navi' that will also be the basis for the next gen of Instinct GPGPUs) would probably arriving sometime in Q2 of 2020...

The GPUs I expect to be available when the modular Mac Pro ships...
  • AMD Radeon VII, 7nm Vega 20, 60CU, 16GB HBM2
  • AMD Radeon RX 3090X, 7nm Navi 20, 64CU, 16GB GDDR6 (available Q2 2020)
  • AMD Radeon RX 3080X, 7nm Navi 10, 56CU, 8GB GDDR6
  • AMD Radeon RX 3070X, 7nm Navi 10, 48CU, 8GB GDDR6
The Radeon VII would cover the 'high-end' until Navi 20 becomes available...

There are a few Navi 12 GPUs (less CUs than above, 4GB RAM) rumored as well, but I wouldn't think Apple would carry a large number of SKUs for BTO GPUs, especially lower end models...?

I just feel that if Apple can manage a proper modern Mac Pro personal desktop workstation (with matching 'Pro' display), there is no real need for the iMac Pro... I think Apple wanted Mac Pro users to shift over to the iMac Pro & it did not take off as well as they wished so now they are back to making us a new Mac Pro... My personal opinion...

Actually AMD’s E3 presentation is for BOTH games console hardware AND consumer cards, they’ve already stated this as a fact!
[doublepost=1558309195][/doublepost]
Months? It is weeks. Perhaps the time metric of months is useful in how far away Apple would start volume production ( but that is probably more than two also. )

Containing info on a , largely not production ready, "sneak peak" is much easier than something they are in the "dot the i's and cross the t's " stage of getting ready to sell. No news now is only more indicative that the ship date is "far" more so than whether Apple is doing to do a slightly improved "dog ate my homework" dog and pony show or not.

If Apple has more than enough "good news" to cover about the Operating system line up and anything else that is ready to ship... they probably punt on the Mac Pro on stage. ( perhaps some press release asking for more time... )

PS Navi isn't coming until 2020 ( and perhaps on a "shrink on cheaper cost path " 6nm ). E3 is going to be after WWDC in June. There should be a better timeline.

but the Sony/Microsoft Navi is probably going to be technically different than would would be destine for the Macs. Those are custom with probably custom add-on fixed function logic that the mainstream cards may or may not get. (e.g., enhancements that improve picture on 4K ( and 4K HDR) TV screens that wouldn't be target for computer video cards. ), Still share most of the baseline architecture on core compute but what is wrapped around that is probably different.

I used the games consoles as an example that Navi is well into development as some in here don’t seems to think the new Mac Pro will get it? I think it will, but I also don’t think it will launch till the end of this year, possibly next year. The games console Navis will have hardware ray tracing built in, apparently, so you could have those in the new Mac Pro too, however Nvidia had to restore to using AI tricks to make that work in their new chip as the power required for it is so big.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Don’t buy that sorry, the Mac Pro is such a anticipated machine I think their would be lots of leaks about it. But we will see however don’t be surprised if it isn’t announced in the slightest.

From what I can tell, it does seem to be leaking, it’s just that no one likes the leaks.

Too much smoke for there not to be any fire.

Reactions: apolloa

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
There were leaks on the trash can. They just weren't widely shared. And photos never leaked out or anything. But the specs were out there.
No, the "specs" weren't out there, unless you mean "speculations".
There were only clues given by Tim Cook about a new Mac Pro coming. Certainly no leak about the design nor about the dual GPUs. Everyone was taken by surprise.
Actually, we know more about the next Mac Pro now than about the tube Mac Pro before WWDC 2013.
[doublepost=1558331729][/doublepost]
Don’t buy that sorry, the Mac Pro is such a anticipated machine I think their would be lots of leaks about it.
You think wrong, for the reasons we explained. The Mac Pro isn't anticipated by many people, especially compared to iDevices and even laptops. And the the conception/build chain is much more controlled by Apple than that of an iPhone or a laptop (which are assembled overseas).

Last edited:

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006
No, the "specs" weren't out there, unless you mean "speculations".
There were only clues given by Tim Cook about a new Mac Pro coming. Certainly no leak about the design nor about the dual GPUs. Everyone was taken by surprise.
Actually, we know more about the next Mac Pro now than about the tube Mac Pro before WWDC 2013.

What do you know about the next Mac Pro?

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
What do you know about the next Mac Pro?
That it will be "modular", that is will have "high throughput", that it shouldn't be thermally constrained, that Apple has been working with pros for its conception and had a "pro workflow" team dedicated to that...
None of this is concrete, but at least that's something. We knew exactly nothing about the new Mac Pro before WWDC 2013.

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
It's June 3rd, just a few weeks away .

If Apple don't introduce the new MP at WWDC, or fail to make any clear annoncement re. the specs, design and internals , they are likely to miss out on any bulk Mac buyers still left for their first batch .
Plus a bunch of small and medium sized shops , all of which an MP no-show at WWDC will give yet another reason to leave the platform .

Purchase desiccions are often made during the third quarter, when businesses start planning their investment and tax write-off strategy for the following year .
A November/ October release would make the new MP a late 2020 product, for all intents and purposes .

And a lot of people would be pissed off if WWDC didn't feature an MP .
I certainly would be .
Dear, they simply do not care so much, or at all, about the MP. Too many months came and go since 2014.

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa

askunk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
London
In the meantime, Apple doesn't sell anymore the 4K and 5K LG displays but keeps selling the tMP... I hope it's not connected, but it subconsciously gives the idea that the mMP is not so close by. Strange, since I wonder what other macs could run the 6K display Apple may come out with.

thevault

Suspended
Feb 11, 2019
Mars
It's June 3rd, just a few weeks away .

If Apple don't introduce the new MP at WWDC, or fail to make any clear annoncement re. the specs, design and internals , they are likely to miss out on any bulk Mac buyers still left for their first batch .
Plus a bunch of small and medium sized shops , all of which an MP no-show at WWDC will give yet another reason to leave the platform .

Purchase desiccions are often made during the third quarter, when businesses start planning their investment and tax write-off strategy for the following year .
A November/ October release would make the new MP a late 2020 product, for all intents and purposes .

And a lot of people would be pissed off if WWDC didn't feature an MP .
I certainly would be .

Yep, no info on MP at WWDC with a 2019 release date I'm done......:rolleyes:

Nabru50

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2017
United States
I really have a hard time believing that the 2019 MP will have AMD cpus. Why would Apple spend their precious time and money working on such a massive hardware and software change for a product that has such a small niche already?
I feel if they did go with AMD, it would have to be the start of a complete migration to AMD in all their Macs. Maybe I'm just overestimating the differences between Intel and AMD?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Pros need simple and expandable solutions that already exist in the market. There was and is nothing to invent.

Exactly!

Notice how Dell, HP, Lenovo and others didn't have to set up a professional "task force" to figure out what to do next.

They all continued to sell their existing tower workstation PCs because they never stopped selling them.

:p

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
I really have a hard time believing that the 2019 MP will have AMD cpus. Why would Apple spend their precious time and money working on such a massive hardware and software change for a product that has such a small niche already?
I feel if they did go with AMD, it would have to be the start of a complete migration to AMD in all their Macs. Maybe I'm just overestimating the differences between Intel and AMD?

What hardware and software changes?

There are lots of folks running AMD hackintoshes right now.

AMD offers better performance for less money - Apple could charge the same prices and their profit margin would go up.

For that matter, their CPU line up works better:

Mac Mini & low end iMac - Ryzen chips with the built in Vega graphics
iMac "Pro" top end Ryzen 9 with discreet Navi GPU
Mac Pro - EYPC - 8 cores at the low end, 32 cores at the high end (terrified of having to rework the core of OSX to use 64 cores) - WX series of GPU cards.

Reactions: ekwipt

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
If I was an Apple exec reading this thread, I would cancel all plans for any MP and call it a day. This is such a small market and so many ideas of what a MP should be, none of which seem remotely mainstream from a marketing perspective, pro or otherwise. I really think Apple can't win here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.