Waiting for the 2019 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by travod, Jul 12, 2018.

1. travod macrumors regular

I'm living on my June 2013 Air. It's been struggling recently and the battery is long past overdue for a replacement. Was hoping to get a MBP but I don't know if these ones are worth it.

I might spend a day seriously cleaning up everything on the drive and might look into a battery replacement to get another year out of it.

Yuck to no quad core non TB.

2. Agenesis macrumors newbie

3. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

If you don't need it for heavy pro usage, I am all for cleaning it up and getting extra life out of it. That's what I did with my phone recently, and my computers. The new MBPs are definitely good enough for me to consider buying after today's update. However, I would prefer a better GPU which is likely coming with the next update. It'll about another year wait though, for those looking to wait.

4. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

Falhófnir

So I guess the way they got around the (real) RAM limitation was to rebuild the machines around DDR4 and increase the battery size (slightly) to make up for the (apparently marginal) battery life penalty... As the 16GB machines are built around DDR4 too I’d suggest the real reason (as many of us speculated) was they didn’t want to have two differing internal designs to manufacture & support.

5. sputnikBA macrumors 6502

6. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

I think I'm done. Their pricing is gone insane to me. I could buy one, I'm just not willing to pay those prices.

7. Garage Battle macrumors regular

Garage Battle

Why does Step Daddy Cook no love us like Papa Steve did.

Here is waiting for nTB with more cores and more love.

8. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Hopefully they'll remove gimmicky Emoji Bar with Touch ID in favor of Face ID next year...

9. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Well im just gonna join in early, not because I expect to need a new Mac in 2019, but because I am always looking forward for the next one.

And also to eat popcorn and watch the frustration, tears and anger which surely are to come in this thread:D

10. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Will need to modify my wish list based on what the 2018 models checked off...
    • Hex-core Coffee Lake Hex-core Cannon Lake
    • More reliable keyboard
    • 32 GB DDR4 RAM 32 GB DDR4 RAM as standard
    • Increased display resolution
    • Lowered base price
    Done.

11. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

Falhófnir

£1,699 for the Spectre X360, £1,899 for the XPS, £2699 for the MacBook Pro equivalently specced... is MacOS (as a personal indulgence) really worth £800-£1,000 to me? :confused:

12. Ma2k5 macrumors 68000

Ma2k5

Wishlist

- 4K screen
    - Improved web cam (1080p/1440p), FaceID a bonus
    - Improved Touchbar (haptic feedback, brighter, maybe slightly raised?)
    - Larger battery capacities (90wh+ for 15", 70wh+ for 13")
    - Improved palm rejection or smaller trackpad (for those who enjoy tap to click). Won't happen :(
    - An official Apple UBC-dock, ideally included with the MacBook (haha, fat chance!)
    - Better dGPU's (Nvidia won't happen, so we can only hope for the latest AMD Vega's)

13. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

No wishes to GPU?

14. erigas macrumors member

Put me on the waiting list.
    We are paying for a computer with a premium GPU…..but we are getting one that’s 2 years old.
    NO THANKS AND F*** YOU APPLE

15. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

I'm at the point now where I'm prepared to move my work stuff to windows, the only thing holding me back now is personal use stuff like Photos. I might stick out my 2014 MBP, but Dell have a 15% off sale for the next 5 days only so.....

16. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

AMD Vega mobile for 2019.
    It took Touch ID three years to come to the Mac. Face ID will have been out for two. So Face ID on the Mac will probably be a 2020 thing.

17. jinnyman macrumors member

18. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

19. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

Falhófnir

Yep, I already have a windows gaming computer and tbh I don’t find I have many issues with it - it’s basically sentimentality/ just liking MacOS (and the hardware industrial design) that’s keeping me wanting a MBP - if you were to monetise those things I don’t think they’d probably come out at anything like 1K either!

20. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

I’m with you on this. I saw this thread and face-palmed that there was already a thread for those who aren’t happy right after Apple just released machines that look impressive (on paper at least), after everyone was complaining how outdated the 2017 model lineup was...

I’ll just be sitting here like you waiting to see what Apple comes up with next, not because I need a new machine (I better not after buying my last Mac last year), but because it is fun seeing what they come up with....

I’ve said my piece now I will wait for all the upset responses on this thread of how Apple never innovates anymore ;)

21. omizzle macrumors regular

Bad idea. 2021 is where its at.

22. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

I’d care to argue that Apple designs a longer lasting machine. After 6 years can you say that that XPS will still be running as fast as that equilavently specced MBP? You pay the extra for longer longevity. You also don’t have to buy a yearly subscription for malware protection, and deal with buggy Windows and bloatware

23. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

Falhófnir

Honestly I don’t see why it wouldn’t be? I like to update failrly regularly (2-3 years) so ‘longevity’ is less of a factor to me (though I do expect the machines to go on for a good 4-5 years afterwards as secondary/ backup machines or hand-me-downs). Malware protection (and office 365 subscription) are fair points though I don’t think bloatware is as much of a problem as people make it out to be.

24. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

Yeah like I said in the last thread the "Apple premium" I'd be willing to pay would be like 10-12% .... maybe 15% for an exceptionally good model ........not 57% like it is versus the XPS with same specs right now....
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2018 ---
    ....just not the keyboard right.... ?

25. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

I’d agree with you and I think a lot of people upgrade on the industry standard of 3-5 years, which does make it harder to justify the extra cost on a MacBook Pro. And since I last owned a personal windows machine (about 3 years ago), bloatware may well not be as bad as it used to be.

At least in my experience, even with upgrading to the newer Windows updates, I’ve tended to notice that older windows machines haven’t faired as well for me as my MacBooks have.

I use my company provided windows for my day job, and honestly can’t stand the bugginess so I’m willing to pay that premium to keep using MacOS for my personal business and home use. But I will agree that on a 3-5 year replacement schedule $3000-4000 gets pricey. This is also why I typically try to buy refurbished models from Apple.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2018 ---
    Lol. I was waiting to see who’d say it first. :D Personally I haven’t had the issue on my machine (knock on wood), but yes obviously a failed keyboard would kind of defeat the longevity value of the MacBook Pro.