Waiting for the 2020 MBP

okayplayer

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
10
0
Going to grab a max spec 16 inch and not upgrade for a while. Skimmed the thread but it looks like the next 16-inch upgrade would be June at the earliest, and that's considered unlikely? Laptop is used for residential CAD (Chief Architect) if that impacts the decision to wait one way or the other.

Thanks!
 

tothemoonsands

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2018
128
211
Going to grab a max spec 16 inch and not upgrade for a while. Skimmed the thread but it looks like the next 16-inch upgrade would be June at the earliest, and that's considered unlikely? Laptop is used for residential CAD (Chief Architect) if that impacts the decision to wait one way or the other.

Thanks!
While the 2019 16" (max spec) IS a super compelling machine, and I myself am tempted to go that route while I impatiently await the new 2020 13"/14"....one thing to keep in mind with that 2019 16" is there ARE some minor issues with it. From what I've read here, things such as popping noises, excessively loud fan noise, ghosting/smearing on the display, etc. Nothing major rising to the level of truly defective, but perhaps things that will be tweaked/improved/fixed in the 2020 model. Especially the ghosting. Just something to consider.
 

simonmet

macrumors 68020
Sep 9, 2012
2,210
2,997
Sydney
Fairly sure it’s not going to be 14”.

I’d personally be happy with any outcome, as long as they don’t increase the existing 13.3” footprint. Saw the new 16” in the store the other day - it’s such an unwieldy beast.
Unwieldy compared to a 13", sure. But it's still (marginally) thinner and lighter than the 2012-15 era MacBook Pros, which many people here love and hold on to.

Then again, I'm a former 17" user and I still managed to lug that to work every day on a train and bus. That was 50% heavier than my 16", and hugely less powerful.

I'd have taken slightly bigger than 16" if it meant we could get 4K video. :(
 
Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2005
2,787
755
Going to grab a max spec 16 inch and not upgrade for a while. Skimmed the thread but it looks like the next 16-inch upgrade would be June at the earliest, and that's considered unlikely? Laptop is used for residential CAD (Chief Architect) if that impacts the decision to wait one way or the other.
I'd have a look at one in the store and if you're happy with it, buy one now. Any 16" update this year will just be a spec bump to what is already an incredibly powerful laptop.

There's lots of people who have the 16" and don't have any issues with it.
 

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
3,959
4,357
I'd have a look at one in the store and if you're happy with it, buy one now. Any 16" update this year will just be a spec bump to what is already an incredibly powerful laptop.

There's lots of people who have the 16" and don't have any issues with it.
Well there is a rumour of mini LED coming, though not until years end. I suppose it depends on how much value you put on HDR content? (and of course how desperately you need a new MBP!)
 
  • Like
Reactions: ascender