Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk808

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2015
The 2015 13 inch retina mbp just came out, so theres no way a another 13 inch model would come out this year right?

I heard about the skylake processor but i heard its not coming out till later this year, should i just wait until after WWDC to make my purchase since its less than a month away?

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
The 2015 13 inch retina mbp just came out, so theres no way a another 13 inch model would come out this year right?

I heard about the skylake processor but i heard its not coming out till later this year, should i just wait until after WWDC to make my purchase since its less than a month away?

For what it's worth, if I am getting a Macbook Pro Retina 13-inch at all this year, it will be within the next 4 weeks... so pretty much irrespective of the WWDC. I intend to pick one up, but it depends on if all things work out.

I have done lots of reading, and it's very unlikely that the 13-inch model will be refreshed so immediately.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I would say that with the RMB and the refresh that there is zero chance that a refresh comes again this year for a 13 inch model, even if they do introduce skylake to the 15 line.

The only reason imo to wait for WWDC to wrap is that if they do announce new rMBP 15's, you may be able to get yourself a nice deal on someone who is trying to sell their 13 to upgrade.

dk808

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2015
I would say that with the RMB and the refresh that there is zero chance that a refresh comes again this year for a 13 inch model, even if they do introduce skylake to the 15 line.

The only reason imo to wait for WWDC to wrap is that if they do announce new rMBP 15's, you may be able to get yourself a nice deal on someone who is trying to sell their 13 to upgrade.

Do you expect the new 15 inch retina mbp coming this year to be the same price as the current 15 inch models?

I would get the 15 inch but the price is a lot more than the 13 inch im interested in

----------

For what it's worth, if I am getting a Macbook Pro Retina 13-inch at all this year, it will be within the next 4 weeks... so pretty much irrespective of the WWDC. I intend to pick one up, but it depends on if all things work out.

I have done lots of reading, and it's very unlikely that the 13-inch model will be refreshed so immediately.

I just want to get a mbp that will last me 4-5 years and still run smoothly

My current 2010 mbp has been getting pretty slow lately

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Yeah I would think that they would come in at the same price. The good news if you wait though is that if they do announce them and they come in at the same price, you can expect to get yourself an even better discount on a 15inch on the apple refurb store or find a really good deal from someone that is selling their current machine in order to upgrade.

That's what I was going to do was wait until they announce new 15 inch models and then either get a refurb (most likely since they come with 1 year applecare with the option to extend later with Applecare +), or I was going to scour craigslist for a really good deal. I happened to have found a really damn good deal on one anyways so I bit the bullet.

FWIW, I have the 2014 15 2.5/512/16/750, but I looked at the 2013 model as well and did some research and it seemed that the difference between the two models was pretty mild to the point where the 2013 offers a good price.

The price was a tad more than I really wanted to spend on a laptop or computer for the time being, but I really wanted and needed to upgrade. So for me, it was worth stretching the dollar just a teeny bit extra for that piece of mind. A laptop like mine or a 2013 that has applecare should easily last you 4-5 years, again which is why I was happy to spend a little more. Hell, I was rocking a 2010 white unibody macbook with a core 2 duo and while things were getting a little sluggish, the thing did everything it was supposed to do and lasted plenty of time. I am sure that thing will last whoever owns now a while as well (sold it on ebay to help with upgrade).

There rMBP will last a longgggggg time imo. They are pretty beastly machines that nowadays offer desktop class performance in a pretty durable package. Back in 2010 and 11, the laptops were powerful for laptops and were pretty good performers, but they have gotten to the point where the machine I am typing on right now is just as fast and efficient and somewhat moreso than some recent 27 inch imacs. That's kinda crazy to me and gives me piece of mind with the investment. I would say that extended applecare should be added though because of the horrid repairability of the machines.

dk808

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Yeah I would think that they would come in at the same price. The good news if you wait though is that if they do announce them and they come in at the same price, you can expect to get yourself an even better discount on a 15inch on the apple refurb store or find a really good deal from someone that is selling their current machine in order to upgrade.

That's what I was going to do was wait until they announce new 15 inch models and then either get a refurb (most likely since they come with 1 year applecare with the option to extend later with Applecare +), or I was going to scour craigslist for a really good deal. I happened to have found a really damn good deal on one anyways so I bit the bullet.

FWIW, I have the 2014 15 2.5/512/16/750, but I looked at the 2013 model as well and did some research and it seemed that the difference between the two models was pretty mild to the point where the 2013 offers a good price.

The price was a tad more than I really wanted to spend on a laptop or computer for the time being, but I really wanted and needed to upgrade. So for me, it was worth stretching the dollar just a teeny bit extra for that piece of mind. A laptop like mine or a 2013 that has applecare should easily last you 4-5 years, again which is why I was happy to spend a little more. Hell, I was rocking a 2010 white unibody macbook with a core 2 duo and while things were getting a little sluggish, the thing did everything it was supposed to do and lasted plenty of time. I am sure that thing will last whoever owns now a while as well (sold it on ebay to help with upgrade).

There rMBP will last a longgggggg time imo. They are pretty beastly machines that nowadays offer desktop class performance in a pretty durable package. Back in 2010 and 11, the laptops were powerful for laptops and were pretty good performers, but they have gotten to the point where the machine I am typing on right now is just as fast and efficient and somewhat moreso than some recent 27 inch imacs. That's kinda crazy to me and gives me piece of mind with the investment. I would say that extended applecare should be added though because of the horrid repairability of the machines.

Awesome, I'll wait until wwdc and see the new 15 inch. If they look awesome i think i might just spend the extra and go with that. If not, ill look into the 13 inch or refurbished 15 inch

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I just want to get a mbp that will last me 4-5 years and still run smoothly. My current 2010 mbp has been getting pretty slow lately.

The most common kind of slowdown that people feel is drive related. Had you dropped an SSD in your 2010 it would feel a lot faster.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Even now, I'd take my 2011 quad-core MBP over most 27" iMacs. Especially with an SSD, my laptop has barely aged over the past four years. Maybe the GPU speed is getting a bit long in the tooth, but it's more of a match for the current lineup in terms of general performance.

It's amazing how well these last (unless it succumbs to Radeongate! :p )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.