Wal-Mart deserves the Nobel Peace Prize?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

From the Vancouver Sun:

Read the rest here.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

We interrupt this advertorial to bring you some opposing views:

http://walmartwatch.com/

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yea, I hear in the smaller towns, when a Wal-Mart moves in, many of the smaller local business, unable to compete, shut down, and the overall average wage of the area goes down as well...

4. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

The reporter used this as a supporting reference:
    Thereby destroying any credibility in the entire story, IMO. Saint Wal-Mart? WTF? They wouldn't even dare try to buy this ad.

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I live in one of those smaller towns. I have seen it first hand. Main Street was for years a ghost town alley.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

WalMart is more like a cancer than anything else. Their low prices come with many consequences, all of which seem to have already been listed in this thread. I'm appalled that anyone would suggest they receive a Nobel Prize.

7. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

The article was by Fazil Mihlar, the senior editor at the Sun. According to
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Sun:
    Also according to Wiki:
    Strange bedfellows, indeed...

8. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Blue, some of that content you posted was sad indeed (especially regarding the lobbying, etc.), but other segments left me wondering what exactly the problem is. It seems like the author is interested in promoting a personal social agenda as opposed to finding valid qualms with a company active in the global free maket. I found the implication that Wal-Mart has a responsibility to provide a health plan for its employees, release compensation data, and trade secrets to be particularly confusing. It seems as if the author is attempting to redefine what companies are and are not required to do under law.

Is Wal-Mart required to offer their workers an "affordable health plan?" Do most U.S. employers offer their workers health plans? NO. Health care plans are a perk which various employers offer with the hopes of increasing the intrinsic value people place on them as an employer. They're designed to increase HRs options for hiring and improve the companies PR image. Employees do not have a "right" to employer subsidized health plans, but they are welcome to compare/contrast employers based on all available means and apply for jobs based on requirements they set.

Is Wal-Mart required to release their median wage? Do most employers report their employees median wages? NO. In addition, what's wrong with managers making higher wages than floor workers? It's called supply and demand... Wal-Mart can pay employees whatever they want above min. wage as long as their employees accept the transaction, the wage is 'fair' by definition.

What is wrong with protecting trade secrets which by definition help Wal-Mart maintain a competitive advantage and offer products for less money? How about Apple's 'wall of silence' around its operations, R&D, suppliers, etc? Does anyone here think that Apple doesn't use the thread of losing business with Apple as a leverage against these sorts of activities?

9. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Walmart are purveyors of cheap crap who don't pay their employees sufficient cost of living year to year wage garnishments, don't pay their American suppliers in a timely manner, and regularly hire illegals knowingly and purposefully and pay them about $3 an hour in the US. They pollute more than most nations, their business is a growth model which forces constant expansion with new stores, and it frequently drives off small businesses when it moves to an area.

I wish I could tell you I never shop at Walmart, but I'm a Sam's Club member now thanks to my Apple TV.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Honestly, it was this back in my hometown of Omaha back in 2001 that was the nail in the coffin for me:

Link

BL.

11. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Link 1 seems to be dead... goes to a parking page now....

12. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

didn't that happen on South Park? i never watch that show, it was like one of five that i've ever seen.

13. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I said small town, not weird spooky freaky town of talking poo-things and Scientologist cooks... And, I have no idea.

14. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Can someone who follows such things intelligently answer this question: Is Wal-Mart any better or worse than similar retailers when it comes to wages and business practices? By similar retailers, I mean Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, KMart, Krogers and the like, or even McDonald's.

As far as wages, I have a hard time imagining their wage structure and benefits being too different, but I honestly don't know.

15. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Yeah, but they found Wal-Mart's heart (somewhere in the electronics department) before it could destroy the town completely.

"Dude, check it out! "Time Cop" on DVD. Three copies for eighteen bucks!"
    -Cartman

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have often wondered about this too? I don't see to many complaints about the health care that is not provided by McDonalds under the 40 hour mark employees? I don't see the compalints about Target or Home Depot either. I am curious also. I have worked at Target and Home Depot.

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Here is a good article I found on the topic.

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=13508

Granted that's only one article, but I have read articles that claim similar points.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've never liked Target either.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this is a terrible policy, but isn't the real problem, given the fact that this went before a court, that it was upheld by the court system? That this kind of policy is wrong, with which I think most of us would agree, should be reflected in the law or at least in the legal precedent. This kind of situation should not be handled purely by expecting goodwill from companies.

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

We have a Target but I haven't been there much. I like to buy decoration for the house there, much better sense of style but that's about it. Plus it's not a Super Target and it closes at reasonable hours unlike Wal-Mart.

To me Target and Wal-Mart are about the same. Target has had style down since day 1 which is nice. Wal-Mart is just now fixing that and their new store layouts are on par if you ask me. It will just take them a while to redo each store.

Target can be a nicer shopping experience cause of less people shopping there. Wal-Mart is so popular it can be a nightmare shopping during the day, which is why I usually do my shopping late at night.

In my eyes, when it comes to shopping for house essentials, Wal-Mart does everything Target does but better.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Living in the city, I have a lot more options. I just shop our local stores. I haven't been to a big box in many, many years. The very idea is scary to me. The closest I come to that is Whole Foods.

22. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Damn you, then. I have to drive almost 100 miles to get to a Whole Foods. I do get to shop at Piggly Wiggly, however...

(btw, the "damn you" was out of pure jealousy)...:)

23. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

That's funny, I live in a city and feel I have way less shopping options.

The Targets and Wal-Marts around here aren't those that stand alone in the middle of nowhere off a highway but usually in enormous expanses of other shopping and dining. All chains, usually, but still a lot of options.

Living in the city, there's no end to the arty boutique crap I can find (I can bike to no fewer than three Urban Outfitters), or locally grown organic produce which - while fine for a meal here and there, would bankrupt me if I lived off of it - but try finding a broom or mop or a bag of potatoes or something more practical; I'm forced to the suburbs for those.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The one I go to is one door over from my gym. Here's a pic. You can't really see it because of the trees though.

UO is arty boutique? I consider that a chain store, another of which I don't visit.

Attached Files: