Walk in and purchase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dobiewonkanobie, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Dobiewonkanobie macrumors regular

I haven't been following in-store availability (at either Apple stores, or AT&T). Does anybody have a good idea if it's possible to just walk in and purchase yet. For my own reasons I'd like to buy in person.

2. dfinecy macrumors regular

It really depends on where you live. My suggestion is to call the store first to see if stock is available.

3. IUBall22 macrumors 6502

Only if you reserve the night before on apples website. Inventory is still VERY thin.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree. Call the store and ask. When we purchased my wife's ipad2, it had been out for several months, but when we went into the store, they did not have any. They told us they got limited stock daily which sold out daily.

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Check your local Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and Radio Shack as well. I found a local BB selling iPhones without being reservation needed.

6. PeterTran macrumors member

^this. sadly i am also looking for one but none are ever in stock

7. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

try local stores like target walmart best buy and radioshack. I got mine from radioshack on the 25th I think. the wednesday after the friday it came out. Or go to apple store first thing in the morning, like be there as soon as it opens. I'm sure the walk in demand has died donw a little since the phone has been out for about 2 weeks now .

8. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Also keep in mind you can't just buy the phone with having a contract with either Verizon, Sprint, or ATT.

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Some stores like Best Buy, Radioshack, etc can and will sell off contract iPhones if they choose to do so.

10. PeterTran macrumors member

I tried:( sadly socal is crazy...i called target, walmart, best buy ,and radioshack. they don't sell off contract device only iphones near me. You have to have a contract. My best bet is the apple store but the apple store near me(fashion island and south coast) are filled with rich iphone lovers so they're rarely in stock

11. Shge12 macrumors member

Just called to check local AT&T store to see if I should cancel my order and go get one there. They said they hadn't gotten a shipment for store stock in 2 weeks and not to waste my time with nearby locations

12. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

so I'm guessing you don't have any of the big 3? you know you could always buy one on a contract and pay the etf, you'll still be paying $100 less than off contract. Then you can put it on whatever carrier you have.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Car Toys often has them in stock. If not, they'll bring one in from their warehouse as part of their weekly shipment.

14. Dobiewonkanobie, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

Dobiewonkanobie thread starter macrumors regular

Since it was brought up, another question I had was about buying off-contract/unlocked versus on-contract. Other than the freedom to move, I can't see the benefit of buying off contract because the monthly rate is still the same.
    Any insight into this that I'm missing?

Thanks to everyone else for the responses, I'll try calling some stores tonight. :D

15. PeterTran macrumors member

i heard about this, but then it won't be unlocked

16. RNVarma macrumors regular

Not true. You can purchase off-contract iPhones from the Apple Store.

17. underattack macrumors member

locked vs. unlocked: You can get a plan from companies like Straight Talk for $50/month that pretty much corresponds to the $100/month plan on AT&T or Verizon (and Straight Talk is reselling the AT&T Network). Thats about $1200 more for a 2 year contract.

So you will have the extra cost for an unlocked phone back after about a year.

18. PeterTran macrumors member

im not talking about the apple store....im talking about getting it from best buy, target, radioshack or walmart since all the apple stores are sold out of iphone 5's near me. my first choice would have been the apple store

19. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

how to check the stock levels of radioshack/bestbuy/target?

20. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

I don't know what kind of weird stuff the apple store you live is pulling. But there is no such thing as a carrier unlocked iPhone 5 yet. You don't have to extend your contract in order to buy one. You don't have to have an upgrade in order to buy one. But you do have to have a Verizon, ATT, or Sprint phone number and account in order to buy one.