walk in and walk out with a sealed iphone and no contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phatboy, Jul 19, 2008.

1. phatboy macrumors member

Im going to America on a holiday next week and I wanted to purchase an iphone without the contract to use as an ipod until i take out an 02 contract back in the UK.

Is this possible or are apple making everyone who buys an iphone in store take out a contract in store as well?

There are lots of sealed iphones selling on ebay so people must have walked out without a contract in some stores.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The only way to get an iPhone not bound to a contract in America is if there are guns involved.

Well, for now, anyway.

3. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Can't do it from ATT or an Apple store. But I have heard some are selling
    on Ebay for a nice premium.

Must be people who canceled the contract and then paid the full retail price.
    Then they add their margin.

4. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Yup, there still isn't anything set up for the unsubsidized pricing.

Which boggles me to think that there are iphones on ebay.
    So, how does that work? :confused:

5. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

They like guns in America don't they?

6. csupinski macrumors member

csupinski

If you buy the phone from the Apple Store and then cancel your AT&T contract within so many days AT&T nor Apple ask for the phone back or at least that is they impression I was given.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Most Americans still like the Constitution. In this case, the second amendment.

8. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

So the ebay sellers must have paid the whole contract off and then listed it on ebay...the prices must be astronomical then :confused:

9. csupinski macrumors member

csupinski

If your a new customer you can cancel withing 15 days or whatever, then you simply keep the phone.

10. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

If that's correct that's one heck of a loophole! In the UK you have 14 days to cancel, but the phone has to be returned together with the box and accessories.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Fixed, probably.

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

plus you need a SSN and a credit check to get the phone in the first place.

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

No, I think most ebay resellers are already ATT customers. They either used their upgrade/spouse's upgrade and they really had no need/want for the iphone 3g.

My friend upgrade his wife's plan to the iphone 3g and resold it for $700 on craigslist (16GB white) cause his wife already had a blackberry that she was perfectly happy with.

It really makes no sense to "flip" the iphone 3g if you are not already an ATT customer because of the ETF fees and penalty you pay for canceling the data plans.

14. tomashi macrumors regular

Actually you don't need to keep the data plan on your contract after you've bought your iPhone. The only thing that AT&T cares is you keep some type of voice plan for at least 2 years.

Say you buy your iPhone, then promptly go out into the street and chuck it into the garbage can. You can call em up and say you threw the iPhone away and want to cancel your data plan, they'll do it. You'll still be obligated to pay a voice though, and finish the 2 years.

There is an example of someone on the board who didn't want to use edge/3g with his iPhone, only wifi and had no problems getting data canceled.

15. moviecouple macrumors regular

Actually you can just go into the Apple store and buy one. You do have to pay full retail for it though. $399.99 for the 8gig and $599.99 for the 16gig. I bought my first 16 under contract because I was able to upgrade. The second phone I was going to buy was not eligible for an upgrade... so I just paid full retail and they activated it for me with no problems.

I know other people who have done the same thing.

16. mkoesel macrumors regular

Actually, it still makes sense for new customers. That is, assuming you actually do want to switch to AT&T anyway. You can still flip the iPhone, and pick up another phone of your choice on ebay or wherever. You would have been in for a two-year commitment anyway, so there is no big drawback. And, as noted above, you can cancel the data plan if you are not using a 3G device or don't want it. There will be no penalty.

17. mkoesel macrumors regular

But paying the non-upgrade pricing is not the same thing as getting the phone without a contract. With the non-upgrade pricing, I think you are still signing a new two year contract, isn't that right?

18. moviecouple macrumors regular

With the 2nd phone I bought outright... I did not have to sign up for the 2 year contract. I own it straight and clear.

19. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Right, but this was after the credit history check...and signing a contract with at&t?...right?

20. Type121 macrumors regular

Then somebody made a mistake. There are no no-commit phones available yet, and when they do start selling those, they they have said they will be 599/699.

I'm willing to bet if you're activated, you're under contract whether you realize it or not.

21. phatboy thread starter macrumors member

im now in new york and close to the only store with any 3G iPhones currently stocked! Is there any point in me trying to ask to buy one and activate at home? its never gunna happen is it?

22. Bambeezer macrumors regular

Is it active with a working SIM and phone #? Month to month?

I'm trying to figure out how I can get a 3G without a contract. I just need the phone because my employer will pay for service. They just have a mental block with admitting to purchasing an iPhone. :rolleyes:

Did you purchase from Apple or ATT?

23. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I think you will find out that is not accurate.

24. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

not true. ATT is not currently selling a no contract iPhone.