#walkaway movement

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, Jul 11, 2018.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

As a registered Democrat I do feel there are some good points being made by some in this movement about the hard left taking over the party. We all know that the Democratic party is extremely weak right now and seems to be doubling down on identity politics to remain relevant. I honestly don't see a "blue wave" coming in 2018 or anytime soon. As much as I dislike Trump I believe his chances of being reelected in 2020 get better each day.

We need an opposition party that builds a coalition of people, however many that are now guiding today's Democratic party seem to want to divide people instead of unite. If your not a minority or are a "victim" in some way, shape or form then you do not deserve a seat at the table. Even though I'm gay the fact that I am a white cisgender male seems to be a disqualifier in today's Democratic party. Of course being gay won't get you much love from the GOP side either so neither side really gives a damn about me or anyone like me.

So will this movement take off? Will the conservatives began to siphon off what's left of the moderates in the party? Does the Democratic party want the moderates to leave anyhow and if that group goes what happens with what's left? We need a strong opposition party, but today's Democratic party is becoming anything but that.

2. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

i'd rather democrats #kickthearse of the idiotic commies, othewise the only thing for sensible people to do is really to #walkaway... but where?

3. widgeteer Suspended

https://www.salon.com/2018/07/09/ru...k-on-democrats-is-a-likely-kremlin-operation/

Complete junk.

4. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

5. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

I don't necessarily agree with this statement as Democrats are in general more inclusive than Republicans, but Trump is probably the most divisive president in history so worst case it's an even game as far as that goes.

Also, there have been several well-known lifelong Republicans who have recently left that party.

6. widgeteer Suspended

The minute someone begins any conversation with how "divisive" the Democrats are, it's a sham.

7. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Similar to the Republicans, extreme positions (both right and left) is ultimately a losing strategy in the final election (it works in the primaries). The exception to this is in areas where a majority of the people tend to be far left or right.

8. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

care to elaborate? from out here the only divisiveness I see agent orange promote is 'americans' vs 'aliens'... which is not that big of a deal. america should come first.

9. eatrains macrumors regular

This was already debunked as another troll operation.

10. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well that's the problem. There isn't really any place to go. I refuse to join today's Republican party, but today's Democratic party is also becoming toxic. I suppose as a gun owner and a person who is pro-life the Democrats don't want me anymore, but the Republicans don't really want a gay man in their party either. This is what happens when both sides doubles down on the hard left or right wing of the party... those in the middle are left out.

I should add being pro-life is only a personal position for me. My main concern about abortion is my belief homosexuality is genetic and in the future if (or more likely when) a genetic test is developed will people choose to abort babies that could be gay, lesbian or transgender? I know it seems like a crazy concept right now...in 20 years? Who knows.

11. widgeteer Suspended

Gee, Dems are up on generic ballots, Trump's polling is in the garbage...so naturally there's a completely organic totally NOT a troll operation that's pushing the idea that people are *leaving* the Dems in droves because of how "hard left" and "divisive" they've become.

Uh huh.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2018 ---
    Most of the people who feel that way about homosexuals are opposed to abortion, so it shouldn't be an issue.

12. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

There's a place if you want it, in a party that has supported marriage equality and gay rights since the 70's (unlike the Democrats, who were woefully late to the game). Contrary to popular democrat opinion they aren't some sort of conservative republican who just wants to smoke dope. I have many friends in the party who are former dems. They're much happier now.

http://www.outrightusa.org/
    https://www.lp.org/

[​IMG]

13. mac_in_tosh, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Do you read his tweets and listen to him in unhinged mode at his rallies? He is constantly attacking "the Dems" and falsely attributing outlandish positions to them. He has accused Obama of various crimes and misdeeds. He attacks the press as the "enemy of the people" and the Democrats who didn't applaud him during his state of the union address as "treasonous." His bullying tweets are well known. Etc. Etc.

14. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

You'd sure think that, but if they ever develop a successful genetic test there'd be a lot of "secret" abortions going on. I've been around the block long enough to know that.

15. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

You would think there would be more republicans with illegitimate children, the way they claim to be so opposed to abortion.

16. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

You’d be surprised about the gay thing. Like this party with it’s hard sector, the Republican Party is the same way but typical republicans do not see sexual preference as evil anymore. I speak solely from being a republican and knowing many Republicans. I do however believe that without the Democrats, gay rights would not have become a focus. Now that it is, I believe the republicans have woken up and forwarding the cause would be similar regardless of which side is in control.

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

No way in a million years do I see Democratic or in general moderates going for the It’s All About Me, Screw U Party.

18. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

Having just seen my state GOP throw gay families under their evangelical bus in their latest platform I can say with some certainty that that is absolute rubbish.

19. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

This is part of the reason I walked away from the Republican party last year... too many hard right/alt-right *******s.
    My state is a decent mix of Dem and Rep, although the GOP is firmly in control at the state level.
    I'm more a Libertarian these days anyway.
    My voter reg simply says "NO PARTY" now.

20. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

21. widgeteer Suspended

Okay. Bottom line: so what? A woman’s body, a woman’s right.

22. jerwin macrumors 68000

watch out for reconstructionists, though.

23. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

They're not really a major influence of any sort in the party. The few that exist can be found at the fringes of the Mises Caucus, and they were just seriously rebuffed at the LP's national convention. As for Paul and North, and their Rushdoony followers they're republicans more than anything. Libertarian republicans, but republicans nonetheless.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2018 ---
    Oh, look what the republicans did in regards to LGBT adoptive parents and discrimination! Anyone else want to argue that the LGBT community is welcome in the GOP?

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...ect-religious-conviction-of-adoption-agencies

24. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Headlines vs reality.

25. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

I've read the platform. It was hand crafted by the American Family Association and the republican mainstream. They deliberately threw LGBT families under their bus. You can repeat your wishful and false thoughts but the truth is what it is. You're right . Headlines versus reality. Your wishful thinking is just a fake news headline.

Try some reality.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/indiana-gop-set-to-vote-on-divisive-party-platform/