Walker Quits Race for Republican Nomination.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Sep 21, 2015.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Scott Walker, low on money and barely registering in the polls, announced his withdrawal from the race for the Republican nomination for President.

I'll be honest and say I view this with considerable satisfaction. Living in Wisconsin, I've watched Walker rise from a no-nothing County Executive to a no-nothing Governor with increasing alarm. The sort of angry, stupid, drive-time white guys who put this guy in the Governors office, and turned Wisconsin's motto from "Forward" to something like "Alabama on the Great Lakes" are a powerful force in Waukesha County and the deep red zip codes surrounding Milwaukee's crumbling inner core. Fortunately, I think, their appeal is limited on a wider stage.

Its hard to thank Donald Trump for much of anything. But if the exit of Walker's bald-spotted, weak-chinned pandering idiocy is anything to go by - I'll tip a glass or two in silent thanks to the Donald for doing this doofus in.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Cool. I didn't liked his track record in Wisconsin.

On the off-chance that a Republican wins this election, I'm happy it's not him.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Simply the beginning of the takedown of Donald Trump. The Kochs decided Walker was not their man. I'd expect a few more to drop out by the end of the month.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Good to see him gone, hopefully they can find a decent candidate to take on Trump and not be a complete disaster if the GOP wins, and hopefully the rest drop out before too long so we don't end up with Trump winning by being able to hold on the longest.

6. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Trump will be hard to dethrone. I want to see Trump debate idiots like Biden and criminals like Hillary. We might run out of popcorn!

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I doubt if anyone but Kasich or Rubio have a shot at debating Hillary.

8. Robisan macrumors 6502

Walker is clearly suffering from Koch withdrawal...

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Should've gone with Koch blocked.

10. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Thank god. Hope Cruz is next. They're the two most dangerous crazies in this race.

11. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Cruz along with Jindal.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The thought that Walker wanted to do to the whole country what he did to Wisconsin was truly frightening. Glad to see Mr. Anti-Worker out of the race, only a few days after Rick Perry admitted defeat.

That's two down, and we move to Kitty Carlisle.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Perhaps average people are coming to understand that the political right works against them rather than for them. Trump is proposing taxing the rich heavily and yet he seems to be popular....

14. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

The GOP natives are getting restless now and refusing to drink the low tax kool-aid propaganda of trickle down economics

15. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

After a GOP win in 2016, Walker will be nominated for Secretary or Labor. You heard it here first, folks.

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Jindal is either incredibly desperate or incredibly deluded. So he may stay in the race for awhile.

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Trump could kill someone and he'd still be popular. His supporters don't care what he says or does. They are attracted to his personality.

18. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

A couple of things are becoming very clear:

The first, and most important, is this: So-called SuperPAC money is not enough to keep marginal candidates competitive. SuperPAC money, which has essentially no limits on the amounts individual donors can contribute; cannot be used for such things as campaign salaries; airline tickets; hotel rooms; meals; ballot registration fees; and the like. And when SuperPAC money is spent on ads - it doesn't get the same preferential rates that regular campaign ads do.

That is really the reason that both Walker and Rick Perry dropped out. While their campaigns had received tens of millions in contributions to their SuperPACs - the individual contributions (which are limited to $2700 per individual per year) simply weren't enough to sustain them through a long campaign.

Personally I find this somewhat re-assuring. Because it struck me as disgusting, and highly undemocratic; that a handful of billionaires get to essentially choose who the next President was going to be.

The flip side of that argument, however, is that it allows people like Donald Trump - who is basically financing his campaign himself, to stay in long after a regular politician would have packed it in, Scott Walker was faced with a decision over the weekend as to whether or not his campaign was going to take out a loan to sustain itself for another few months. Walker chose not to - because if had taken it and dropped out anyway, he would have had to spend the next several years raising money to repay it.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This should put lie to the idea that our government is owned by a sinister cabal of Machiavellian super-PACs and the Koch Brothers.

20. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Anti-Union does not equate to Anti-Worker but by all means keeping spewing that liberal mantra.

21. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

All men can be overcome by greed. Just as employers can use their leverage to exploit workers, unions can overplay their hands and make unreasonable demands on a company. With or without unions, someone is usually trying to take advantage of someone else.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The difference being when a public company exploits it's workers they can walk away and go for a better gig. When the public sector unions overplay their hands and get their ungodly demands handed to them in exchange for votes, every citizen gets ass raped on property taxes. Often times that raping must continue for YEARS after a reformer comes in because they have no other way to pay for the promises that were sold for votes. There's just not enough smokers, alcoholics, and gamblers to pay for it all. Go take a look at Illinois and tell me every citizen of that state hasn't been sold down the river by the connected crooked political machine in order for a very few to remain in power.

23. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Unions may have once been needed but not so much anymore. They single-handedly bankrupted Detroit.

24. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

No, they didn't.

Bad management in the domestic auto industry bankrupted Detroit. General Motors (to name one company) wasted billions on a car company no-body wanted (Saturn) and playing with computer systems they didn't understand (EDS). The entire US auto industry spent the best part of three decades letting cost accountants shave nickels and dimes out of cars - meaning that every five year old GM car dripped oil and had quarter panels and door skins that rusted through.

The BMWs; Mercedes; Audis and Porsches that every car enthusiast in the world wants are made by unionized workers. Highly paid; highly skilled workers who get five weeks of vacation each year.

I'm not going to kid myself that unions are the answer to every problem in the auto industry. But lets not kid ourselves the GM (and Chrysler and Ford) didn't have bloated and highly inefficient executive ranks that simply didn't understand how to build competitive; fuel efficient cars in a global economy. The US auto industry has gotten a little better of late - but I'm still far from convinced.

25. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Ok, I admit that using the absolute term single-handedly was hyperbole but the the unions and their bloated contracts certainly played a significant role.