Walking in to exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geneticfusion, Oct 4, 2012.

1. geneticfusion macrumors member

I'm looking to go into my closest Apple Store to do an exchange to get a new retail iPhone within the 30 days.

If the online ordering system says theres none in stock for pick up, does that mean they are all sold out and I can't walk in? Or do they set some aside for reservations?

2. emaja macrumors 68000

You have to do the reservation online to guarantee that there will be one waiting for you at the Apple Store. If not, then you just take your chances.

Suggestion - get on the Apple Store online right at 10 PM when they update inventory.

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I believe they do set some aside for exchanges, not sure. Because you have to pay when you reserve online, really makes no sense when you want to exchange.

4. geneticfusion thread starter macrumors member

Exactly, that's what I was asking. Or if they still set some aside for walk-ins.

5. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

The Apple Store online is currently down for updating at this time. Can you call a store in the morning at opening time (my stores open at 10 am.)

6. geneticfusion thread starter macrumors member

Eh, calling wastes too much time, haha. I'll probably just go and check.

7. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I did a cold walk-in two weeks ago for cables that were in stock the day before and left empty-handed. Hold time on calls now is usually 10 mins tops.

8. geneticfusion thread starter macrumors member

Oh wow....

Yeah, checking stock through the reservations shows none for stock for the phone I have...I'd rather do a fresh exchange within 30 days due to my problems then exchange through Genius Bar. >.>

9. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

If you are swapping it out for just a phone (not a brand-new retail box) then they usually have a separate stock that does not show up on the inventory you check online in the Apple store.

My local Apple store was showing zero availability, but I was able to get a replacement the day I made my genius appt.

It comes in a plain box (white or black depending on your color) and only includes the phone. You keep your old box and accessories.

According to the two geniuses I talked to, they are brand new phones. Judging form the quality, I beleive them. Even if they were refurbished or anything else, they look and function brand new.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Why exchange, cosmetic issues or different color/size?

11. geneticfusion thread starter macrumors member

I need a larger size phone. With the games Square-Enix pushes out, especially TWEWY being over 2gb....I need a bigger size.

12. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Not sure when you bought your phone but if I were you I would just return the phone and wait till another becomes available. If your 30 days run out you won't be able to do the exchange you want and you will be stuck.

13. geneticfusion thread starter macrumors member

I bought it a week after release. I would return it, but I don't have another phone to use, if worse comes to worse, I'll return it right before my 30 days is up next week.