Walkman-branded phone debuted by Sony

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
this news has been rolling about all day, but I was actually waiting for a good link with a picture of the phone itself that was clear enough to see. Have at it.

The W800 is supplied with quality stereo headphones and it is compatible with MP3 and AAC music file formats. It comes with a 512MB Memory Stick Duo, enough storage for around 150 music tracks, or 10-12 full length CDs.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
Not bad looking. Toss in bluetooth and I wouldn't mind having one. Does anyone know if Verizon's networks will be able to support this?

EDIT: It has bluetooth. Linkety

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
This is what the iPhone/Moto/iTunes phopne should be...apart from the max half gig, and only half a gig of exy memory, it looks like a pretty fine phone.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
Brandon Sharitt said:
Does look like a fairly nice phone, although I'm waiting on the model that makes waffles too.
That'd be nice, but you'd probably have to subscribe to their proprietary waffle batter plan

BruinJohn

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Cool phone

I like the phone. I have the T616 and I love it. Good move on making it AAC compatible too. I wanted to get the Razor for a while now, but if this phone has a comparible price, I would have a tough decision.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I like the features in it the only thing I hate about it is it is not a flip phone. After getting my first about 3-4 years ago I have never wanted to have anything diffence and with both phone replacements since then I refused to consider anything but a flip phone with an out side LCD.

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
Timelessblur said:
I like the features in it the only thing I hate about it is it is not a flip phone. After getting my first about 3-4 years ago I have never wanted to have anything diffence and with both phone replacements since then I refused to consider anything but a flip phone with an out side LCD.
I'd have to agree, but most flip phones are bulky. I don't know what happens in my pockets, but when I locked the keypad on my last three phones, Nokia 3330, SE T68i, & T630 they always manage to unlock, and dial out. :eek:
I do like the Motorola V3 Razor, but it's top dog price, and this new Sony Ericsson looks good. It seems solid, and if it's like the K700 it will iSync OK. Looking forward to the Motorola iTunes version, and a slim flip phone or slider.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Note that it supports MP3 and AAC, but NOT WMA which is very strange, but I like that decision :D
However, I find it even more strange is that it doesn't support ATRAC though, I mean since Sony is involved!

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
That is a sweet looking phone, SE hit the right design concept with the T610 and have just kept refining... 2MP camera too! :eek:

MP3 and AAC, here's me thinking it'd be locked to ATRAC. Love to get my hands on one, end of story.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
This article is inaccurate. The w800 does *not* have autofocus. Sony released information on two distinct phones: the W800 and the K750. The W800 is Walkman-branded and ships with a 512MB Memory Stick Duo. The K750 is nearly identical, but has autofocus, a sliding lens cover, and ships with only a 64MB card. The poster above is wrong, though. The phones can use a 1GB Memory Stick Duo, and I think the limitation is that that's the largest capacity on the market now. When a 2GB or 4GB Memory Stick Duo comes out, the phones may very well work with those too.

You can see specs for the K750 here:

K750

I'm definitely getting the K750 when it comes out in Q2. I like the T610 that I've had for a year and a half - my only complaint is that the camera is next to useless (very poor image quality and only works in very bright conditions). Upgrading that to a 2 megapixel camera with autofocus, photo light, and sliding lens cover will be a vast improvement for me. My plan is to get a 1GB Memory Stick Duo (currently $130 so they'll be about $100 by that point), use about 500MB of that for music and save the other 500MB for pics and video.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
24C said:
I'd have to agree, but most flip phones are bulky. I don't know what happens in my pockets, but when I locked the keypad on my last three phones, Nokia 3330, SE T68i, & T630 they always manage to unlock, and dial out. :eek:
I do like the Motorola V3 Razor, but it's top dog price, and this new Sony Ericsson looks good. It seems solid, and if it's like the K700 it will iSync OK. Looking forward to the Motorola iTunes version, and a slim flip phone or slider.
all depends on you defintion of bulky. for me flip phones are the best of both worlds. When closed it about as smaller to smaller flip phones. Mine wieghts about 4oz. it may be a little thicker but not by much but when it used the phone is quite a bit bigger by almost doubling in lenth so it just easier to use. That the main reason why I like them. THey are small and the keys are covered when not in used and they are a very useible size when put into use.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
JeDiBoYTJ said:
only available in Europe or China.... not the states
This will most likely change. They probably just need to finalize agreements with providers. I can't believe that they wouldn't sell either the W800 or K750 in the States. I would expect to see them either on Cingular or on T-Mobile. But probably not T-Mobile since the rumor is that they will be selling the Motorola iTunes phone. So that would give T-Mobile's competitors incentive to sell the Walkman phone to compete with the iTunes phone...

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
Timelessblur said:
all depends on you defintion of bulky.
Yep, and if I compare a Sony Ericsson Z600 flip phone vs. a T630, the T630 occupies a smaller volume, and the Z600 is bulky...however the V3 Razor isn't, but if I was being honest I don't want all the features or it's pricing.

I just want to wait and see what a Motorola & iTunes combo looks like, and what it's feature set is. Wonder if they'll do one without a camera, so I can take it into work/sport centres.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Great looking phone. I currently have a SE T616, but I'm really in the market for a flip phone. I really don't like locking/unlocking or accidentally answering the phone when it rings. The RAZR looked nice in pictures, but in person it's just so wide, really expensive and doesn't have a lot of features.

Fishes,
narco.

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
i have to disagree about the flip phone thing, i have the t637 and i LOVE it, i dont have any issues with it dialing in my pocket, i just make sure it is the only thing in there and im fine. I dont really like flip phones because you have to open and close them, just a little extra work, and yes i am that lazy ;) , as for the RAZR it is too wide and not as thin as they make it seem, and most reviews out there are not talking too good about it either. My next phone will either be this W800 or the itunes phone. :)

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
SFVCyclone said:
i have to disagree about the flip phone thing, i have the t637 and i LOVE it, i dont have any issues with it dialing in my pocket, i just make sure it is the only thing in there and im fine. I dont really like flip phones because you have to open and close them, just a little extra work, and yes i am that lazy ;) , as for the RAZR it is too wide and not as thin as they make it seem, and most reviews out there are not talking too good about it either. My next phone will either be this W800 or the itunes phone. :)

ah it just take pratic. I notic when people first used them dont have it down. For me I can put it out and open in one motion. Plus I find it easier to answwer the phone. I dont have to hit a button to do it. It set to answer on flip. For me I see who it is and desided from there if I going to answer the open and it one motion up to my ear. It the have the phone being larger while in in use so it feel more confitble while I talking on it and while it in my pocket it is a lot smaller. Plus I quite offen have other stuff in the pocket with it.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
lmalave said:
This will most likely change. They probably just need to finalize agreements with providers. I can't believe that they wouldn't sell either the W800 or K750 in the States. I would expect to see them either on Cingular or on T-Mobile. But probably not T-Mobile since the rumor is that they will be selling the Motorola iTunes phone. So that would give T-Mobile's competitors incentive to sell the Walkman phone to compete with the iTunes phone...
so why wouldnt they both (the SE and the Moto) utilize itunes? apple would not benefit from keeping itunes on only one kind of phone like they do having it on only one player, they dont have a phone themselves to compete with.