Walmart Removing Video Game Displays Referencing Violence

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
I don't agree with a business taking on a social issue at all, it's just bad for business but we all make our own beds. Other than a talking point, do you really care? How does it negatively affect anyone? Do you work in the gaming industry and fear that you'll lose revenue?

Reactions: linuxcooldude

benshive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2017
United States
Other than a talking point, do you really care?
Do you work in the gaming industry and fear that you'll lose revenue?
No and No
How does it negatively affect anyone?
I don't personally go to Walmart for my video games but for those that do and prefer first or third person shooters it may be frustrating. It just adds fuel to the "video games are making the kids violent!" fire and that talking point has always been so stupid and diverts focus from actually coming up with a complex solution to a complex problem.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Thanks Walmart. Refusing to demo Call of Duty on your in store TVs is really going to help solve the problem.
/s

https://gamerant.com/walmart-video-game-violence/
I actually think it makes more sense than what it seems. Some people don't want to be exposed to realistic violence for several reasons. The reasons could be ideological or just pure sensitivity to blood. There are a plethora of other amazing videogames that contain no realistic violence that can be demoed.

Reactions: Vanilla Ice

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I actually think it makes more sense than what it seems. Some people don't want to be exposed to realistic violence for several reasons. The reasons could be ideological or just pure sensitivity to blood. There are a plethora of other amazing videogames that contain no realistic violence that can be demoed.
I love war machines..........

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I don't see the problem.
I also don't see the problem.

You need to be at least 18 years old to legally buy Call of Duty so why would you have a demo in store that those younger than 18 can interact with ?

I also wouldn't be surprised if a majority of people in the video game department were under the age of 18.

I'm in favor of keeping age restricted violent games from kids.

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I don't agree with a business taking on a social issue at all
I believe that Walmart did it for legal reasons.

The games have an age restriction of 18 and they might get in legal trouble demoing them where kids can see them.

Guns are legal to sell which is why Walmart sells them.
[doublepost=1565374482][/doublepost]
I rather someone who's at their breaking point, kill everyone in sight on GTA V vs doing so in real life.
Walmart is still selling the games.

They just stopped demoing the violent age restricted games since minors are present.

Reactions: MacAndMic

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
As it should be! If a game glorifies violence why shouldn’t it be removed? You can’t buy a video game in Walmart with nudity but everyone gets upset when they stop selling games where you can blow someone’s head off.

Reactions: Vanilla Ice