Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mastha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
I just bought an iPhone at walmart through straight talk rather than buying a no contract iphone and adding the straight talk sim card. I had my previous number transfered and service is activated but I don't have any 3G service, no internet, and no MMS. I've been searching all over the web trying to find a solution and all I can find is the same issue happening with jailbroken phones or those where the sim card was added. Some sites have pointed to an issue with iOS 6.1 and have recommended restoring to 6.0. I did update the firmware I believe after getting the phone activated however I don't recall which came standard, 6.1 or 6.0. I've tried resetting all content and setting multiple times and I still have 6.1 so I'm assuming it came with 6.1. Can anyone help point to some solutions? I've also read about changing the APN, but is that really necessary if it should have came already programmed for Straight Talk?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You cant restore/downgrade to 6.0 or anything but the latest 6.1
And yes it is necessary to enter the correct apn settings to get data and the rest of the things to work right. I agree that it sucks you have to do it manually and isnt autodetected and installed based on the sim used.
Go to unlockit.co.nz on your iphones safari browser and install the straight talk apn profile.

mastha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
I've tried going to that site and installing the straight talk apn but no luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.