Walmart Wants To Test A Drone Delivery Service

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I can't even imagine this walmart can't even stock its selves or if you order something online trying to get someone to get it for you when you go into the store.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/walmart-hopes-to-test-drones-for-delivery-pickup-services_562e8c54e4b06317990ef8df?utm_hp_ref=tw
Wal-Mart Stores Inc applied Monday to U.S. regulators for permission to test drones for home delivery, curbside pickup and checking warehouse inventories, a sign it plans to go head-to-head with Amazon in using drones to fill and deliver online orders.

The world's largest retailer by revenue has for several months been conducting indoor tests of small unmanned aircraft systems – the term regulators use for drones - and is now seeking for the first time to test the machines outdoors. It plans to use drones manufactured by China's SZ DJI Technology Co Ltd.

In addition to having drones take inventory of trailers outside its warehouses and perform other tasks aimed at making its distribution system more efficient, Wal-Mart is asking the Federal Aviation Administration for permission to research drone use in "deliveries to customers at Walmart facilities, as well as to consumer homes," according to a copy of the application reviewed by Reuters.

Reactions: Grey Beard

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Walmart has faded back into a followers position. Unfamiliar and unknown territory for them, especially since they're out to squash Amazon.

No matter what one thinks of Amazon, they are both the present and future of commerce. Yes... Commerce (e-commerce over) large scale retailers of consumer goods that wish to be relevant and successful must no longer think e-commerce as a side business.

Amazon is a very scrappy focused fighter wisely out making things happen in a thin margin market sector with lots of distractors. Make no mistake Jeff is on top of his game.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Drones could fill certainjust-in-time delivery niches, say getting a kidney to a hospital or an vital component to a manufacturer. However, unmanned ground vehicles will become widespread before drones. I can easily picture an unmanned UPS truck stopping in front of my house in ten years or less.
How would an unmanned UPS truck get the package from the truck to your door? Although I guess it might be a more efficient use of drones for delivery if they take the package from the unmanned truck to your door instead of going back to a warehouse after each delivery.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
How would an unmanned UPS truck get the package from the truck to your door? Although I guess it might be a more efficient use of drones for delivery if they take the package from the unmanned truck to your door instead of going back to a warehouse after each delivery.
Just like they do now throw it.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Robots.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
I can't even imagine this walmart can't even stock its selves or if you order something online trying to get someone to get it for you when you go into the store.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/walmart-hopes-to-test-drones-for-delivery-pickup-services_562e8c54e4b06317990ef8df?utm_hp_ref=tw
Why the hell would you start a thread in PRSI with this as a topic? Or do you consider anything concerning Walmart to be so controversial as to belong here?

Rather silly, but I guess you just can't help yourself.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Why the hell would you start a thread in PRSI with this as a topic? Or do you consider anything concerning Walmart to be so controversial as to belong here?

Rather silly, but I guess you just can't help yourself.
More habbiit really should have went back one level but it was too late. It is more of a joke then anything else.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Drones will never deliver products to consumers.
Despite what's been reported. I highly doubt the FAA is setting drone regulations ONLY for the purpose of safety. I think we will see drone deliveries in limited form in several years.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
The UPS app on your iPhone pings and displays a QC code, you walk out to the truck and scan your code. A little door opens and out pops your parcel. Or something like that.